Unplanned NGD - 1930's May Bell Archtop

GDP Refugee AndyJ

Electromatic
Jun 12, 2022
Bayfield, CO
I was looking hard for a new New Yorker, but stumbled across this on my travels in the Pacific NW a few weeks ago. It is a 1930's May-Bell by Slingerland. I believe this (based on limited available research) to be a 1937 Style 76. It's in phenomenal shape for an 85-ish-year-old guitar: no cracks (repaired or otherwise), binding is intact and solid, and it has had a neck reset and a re-fret. It's nice and light and projects like a rocket . The bridge and turners aren't original . . .I will more than likely do something about that. And I want to source a pickguard for it. I still may have it checked out by my Luthier, as the tailpiece is slightly off center, but it doesn't affect tuning or playing, so I'm just going to leave it be for now. 20220817_073831.jpg 20220817_073844.jpg 20220817_073901.jpg 20220817_074129.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

J Bird

Synchromatic
Dec 2, 2016
Enumclaw
My thought process went like this:

Oh wow, cool guitar, I wonder what it would look like with one of those long pickguards.

Wait, where are the f-holes? Oh wow, a round hole archtop!

That's pretty unique, and in great shape.

Where exactly did you find this gem?

GDP Refugee AndyJ

Electromatic
Jun 12, 2022
Bayfield, CO
My thought process went like this:

Oh wow, cool guitar, I wonder what it would look like with one of those long pickguards.

Wait, where are the f-holes? Oh wow, a round hole archtop!

That's pretty unique, and in great shape.

Where exactly did you find this gem?
That progression makes sense to me.

I found it in a funky, little shop in Bellingham, WA.