UNGD: Unintended New Guitar Day (MAOPNIP)

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I have an unintended new guitar. It is a Fender EOB Stratocaster in Olympic White with a Maple neck. I was late night browsing guitars on Ebay when I noticed this Fender Ed O'Brien Stratocaster model pop up. I had never seen this model before with its very interesting pickup arrangement and controls. It was listed at a very good price with inexpensive shipping costs to Australia. There was also a “Make an Offer” button on the listing, so I engaged in some risky behavior: MAOPNIP = Make An Offer Pinot Noir-Influenced Purchase.

I playfully entered an offer that was so low it was quite frankly insulting, finished my wine and went off to bed. Next morning I woke up and remembered what I had done. “Don’t worry” I thought “no-one is going to accept such a ridiculous offer” Just to make sure I opened up my computer and there it was: OFFER ACCEPTED, PLEASE PAY NOW!

So now I have an unintended MIM Fender EOB Stratocaster which just arrived today, brand new in the box with a gig-bag. Not sure whether to flip it or keep it, but curious about how it plays and sounds so it’s off to my luthier for a good setup and I’ll let him work out the unusual pickup and control arrangement and then explain it to me.

Another lesson learned: when it’s late at night I must turn OFF the computer before I have that second glass of Enabler Juice !

It’s a buyer’s market out there right now folks, and some sellers are desperate to sell down their inventory. I estimate that I paid not much more than 50% of what it should have ordinarily cost me.

And so, here it is!
IMG_1454.JPG IMG_1462.JPG IMG_1463.JPG

Last edited:

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
1657023764433.png

FERNANDES SUSTAINER CIRCUIT
The Fernandes Sustainer driver in the neck position expands the guitar's traditional sonic capabilities by creating near-infinite single or multi-string sustain.

1657023794846.png

UNIQUE PICKUP CONFIGURATION
The single-coil-sized Duncan JB Jr. humbucking bridge pickup offers giant tone while the Texas Special single-coil middle pickup adds extra spank to the traditional Fender sound.

1657023828791.png

MODERN PLAYABILITY
The 9.5"-radius fingerboard, topped with narrow-tall frets, makes precision soloing and chord playing easy across the entire neck.

1657023859100.png

"10/56 V" NECK PROFILE
This beefy, resonant neck feels instantly comfortable to most players' hands. "Soft V"-shaped near the nut, it rounds to a "C" profile as you ascend the neck, making it great for both chord playing and soloing.

1657023889938.png

CUSTOM NECK PLATE
The custom "Flower of Life" logo is an image said to represent the basis of music; the distances between the spheres is identical to the distances between whole and semi-tones.

1657023923467.png

VINTAGE-STYLE HARDWARE
The vintage-style bridge and tuning machines give this guitar the authentic look, feel and tone of a classic Fender instrument.

blueruins

Country Gent
May 28, 2013
Savannah, GA
From Coldplay I think. Or is it Radiohead?

Anyhow…wow! That is one well appointed axe Brotherman!

I well know that feeling of waking up and hoping that girl isn’t gonna be next to you when you roll over.

This time your wine goggles steered you well. That is a really fine guitar that will be super fun to mess with anytime you’re in your cups.

Well done!

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
I got it back from the luthier today. The action is lower and smoother now. The neck is a little chunky for my tastes but a lot of Fender players would like the "U" shape profile. I've just been having a little fun playing with the sustainer circuit and it works really smoothly. I'm surprised how good the bridge compact humbucker sounds and the bridge+middle combo sounds really good too. It's going to take a bit of noodling to work out the best settings on this guitar but I'm having a lot of fun, and isn't that what it's all about?

Last edited:

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
unintended
This word " unint%nd*d " just may be against forum rules . I'll be looking into it 🤣
so I engaged in some risky behavior: MAOPNIP = Make An Offer Pinot Noir-Influenced Purchase.
oh , been there done that . What did Mickey Gilly sing....... 🎼 Well the girls all get prettier at closing time🎶
I estimate that I paid not much more than 50% of what it should have ordinarily cost me.
All jokes aside , good on you @audept . That is one beautiful guitar . Congratulations and enjoy playing

thunder58

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 23, 2010
tappan ny
Watching the video I see the jack is on the bottom of the guitar and not the traditional on top of the guitar for a Strat . I like that look better as I've never been a fan of " top of guitar " input jacks . ( like the SG , ES 335 ) Gives this Strat a nice look

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Watching the video I see the jack is on the bottom of the guitar and not the traditional on top of the guitar for a Strat . I like that look better as I've never been a fan of " top of guitar " input jacks . ( like the SG , ES 335 ) Gives this Strat a nice look
The jack had to be relocated due to the electronics package for the sustainer circuit and the 9V battery getting in the way.

Latest posts