Under rated guitarists

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by juks, Sep 25, 2021.

1. Xochi2

Xochi2 Gretschie

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    So humbling to hear these wonderful musicians. Never gets boring. Thanks for sharing.

Freshy and juks like this.
  2. Jimmy Mongo

Jimmy Mongo Electromatic

Dec 24, 2019
    Vermont
    June Millington

dougmon and juks like this.
  3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
  4. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Justin Hayward of The Moody Blues

Waxhead, Freshy, GlenP and 2 others like this.
  5. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    We must be brothers...

JeffreyLeePierre and juks like this.
  6. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Grant Green. Glen Campbell.

7. Maj7

Maj7 Electromatic

Oct 29, 2009
    Sydney
    Gretsch Forum Special

1. Cliff Gallup. The one and only.

2. Paul Burlison/Grady Martin (whoever played at the time… A new guitar playing was invented and changed generations.)

3. James Burton (I know. Scotty Moore’s place can’t be taken. But listen to James’ “My One Desire” solo with Ricky Nelson – it has immortalised him. Brian Setzer kept it almost in-tact – it was that good.)

Honorary mention: Darrel Higham; Marco Di Maggio; Paul Pigat. Thanks for keeping the Rockabilly torch burning.

Jazz

1. Danny Gatton (Even though he was above any specific genre and stepped out of the boundaries.)

2. Lenny Breau

3. Emily Remler

A very sad list indeed… Each of them could have done more, but they already have left behind masterpieces. Another great one – Freddie Green of the Count Basie Orchestra. Never played a solo. Always played great guitar.

Rock

1. Jim Lea. You may not like his hairdo or boots, but not only Slade was one of the most melodic bands, their guitars were so focused, concise and yummy…Nobody’s Fools guitar is a great example. I have never seen a word about him in guitar mags. Not technical enough? Music is about a message.

2. Mark Farner. Very famous, yet underrated as a guitar player. The thing is that most hard rock bands of that era had a dedicated guitarist and a dedicated singer. Marc was both. Not only he did it well, he sang and played live even better! This is a rare gift.

3. Clem Clempson. Clem who? Please, listen to his short solo on the Song Of Seven by Jon Andreson. At 5:22, but the way it’s interlaced with the whole song – amazing. It’s all about a message.

Prog.

1. Agree with others on Martin Barre.

2. Trevor Rabin. (I love Steve Howe’s playing dearly. Still can’t understand how Trevor has managed to challenge him with… just one bar phrase! But, he is much more than that.)

3. Adrian Belew. I repeat myself, when under stress! (Had a quick chat with him once. When I asked him who was easy to deal with – Frank or Robert – he calmly replied: “I played with Robert for longer.”)

Metal/Shred

1. Vivian Campbell (Holy Diver sounded like an uncharted territory at the time. A masterpiece.)

2. Jake E. Lee (Bark at the Moon shines in its own right. His guitarwork will always be judged in comparison with very famous predecessors and successors. No need. Just enjoy the record.)

3. Tony MacAlpine and Greg Howe. (Both guys are a great example that you can shred like hell, but make tasteful music and retain a modest and open personality. May be that’s why they have been underrated.)

Acoustic/Classical Guitar

1. Baden Powell – blistering, yet lyrical. What a beautiful music! It’s not his fault that there were other very talented Brazilian guitarists at that time.

2. Marcel Dadi - another example, when composition and performance complement each other. If only you could have missed that flight, mon ami…

3. Anatoliy Olshanskiy – the inventor of the GRAN guitar (It's a 12 string guitar combining nylon and steel strings - a challenge to play.) A composer, an educator and an amazing guitar player. A friend of mine and one of my guitar teachers.

Also, John Duarte – known as a composer, he was a great guitar player as well.

Overall

1. Carlos Santana. Yep. Multiple awards and accolades still don’t justify the greatness and depth of his spiritual message to the world and ability to make guitar… a lead singer in his band. Let alone the fact that Jimi was paid 24 times more at Woodstock than Carlos.

2. Robert Fripp. He’s got enough credits as a guitarist, for sure. What he does not have credits for is for his input in Modern Classical Music, unlike Zappa. For example, Fripp’s The Devil’s Triangle must be included in all text books on composition as an example of expression of fear in music. And, as lockdown has proven – he’s got a great sense of humour and a harmonious marriage…

3. Robbie van Leeuwen – probably, when talking about Dutch rock most people would mention Ian Akkerman or George Kooymans. That’s one of the reasons why Robbie should be here, however, not the main one. Robbie wrote one hit after another, practically just playing simple “Dutch Beat” or whatever it should be called. He should have been knighted by the Dutch Queen, if they do this in Holland. I hope, She’s Got It!

And, to conclude the list - Syd Barrett. Yep, Dave is a much better guitarist and one of my favourites, but I am sure Syd could have become somewhat different and many people here would say… wish he were here….

Fresh Ideas/New Music

When we are talking about Underrated guitarists, we often refer to well established and accomplished artists who have been around for a long time, famous for their names to be instantly recognised and who just did not receive enough recognition, compared to their peers. When it comes to relatively young artists, it is harder, as it may be too early to judge. Also, the times they are a-changing and I dare say that it may be unlikely that guitarists starting today may ever receive the fame and fortune of the mavericks of the 70s and 80s. A Guitar-hero business model may well be a thing of the past. That’s on top of the pandemic disaster, which has literally killed guitarist (RIP Bucky Pizzarelli), but probably has put some other talented players out of business for good. Yet, there is a strong chance of the music resurgence. So, hats-off to those who are playing; composing; inventing and pushing the boundaries. As it happens with music, when one sees stagnation, the new ideas are just around the corner. It’s always good to discover new styles and approaches. So, underrated or not, I’d like to thank here: Tosin Abasi; Javier Reyes; Misha Mansoor; Mark Holcomb; Jake Bowen; Mario Camarena; Erick Hansel; Sarah Longfield; Yvette Young; Plini; Chimp Spanner; Dmitry Demyanenko; Ichika Nito; Aaron Marshal and countless others for keeping on strumming. Even though at times their choice of time signatures, chord progressions, on top of their technical abilities, often makes me feel like... a diminished chord... :>)

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    thunder58, captainmur and juks like this.
  8. Lucky Jim

Lucky Jim Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Kent, England
    Loved The Feelgoods. Mick Green was a huge influence on Wilco Johnson but is barely known outside of the UK. Here he is in action with The Pirates

Yes, an excellent guitarist but Brinsley is equally well known in the UK as an exceptionally good guitar tech as a result of his long period in the workshop of Chandler Guitars in Kew.

juks and audept like this.
  9. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Yes! Mick Green is a good one. Saw them live one with Mick and the original drummer. But different bass/singer.

Mick's guitar work is excellent!

10. captainmur

captainmur Electromatic

Sep 7, 2017
    Germany
    He wasn't a guitarist, he was a bassist, but he was amazing. Gary Thain from Uriah Heep. Sadly, he died at the age of 27...

thunder58, Waxhead and juks like this.
  11. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA

I think Tuck will always be classified as Jazz. He hammers his notes and chords so much he puts funk in all his music. He takes an older Wes blues tune (Up and at It) but before too long it turns to jazz. "Reckless Precision" is his solo album. Most of his recorded work is with the duo Tuck and Patti. He also has a Master Class series on Youtube
    https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=tuck+andress+masterclass+

Tuck breaks down his style

I Wish

Up and at It

Castles Made Of Sand/Little Wing

Last edited: Sep 29, 2021
    Henry and juks like this.
  12. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    . . . And I just read that Tuck and Patti's former roadie and tour manager was his niece, a young Annie Clark, aka St. Vincent!

Freshy and juks like this.
  13. Xochi2

Xochi2 Gretschie

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    When I think of Jeff "Skunk" Baxter, I immediately recall the backstory of Elliot Randall being invited and playing the lead to "Reelin' In The Years."

juks and pmac11 like this.
  14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Ian Moss - Cold Chisel

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

juks likes this.
  15. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Eddie Munoz from the Plimsouls. Not Mr Technical, but tasty as all get out and no pointless licks .

Last edited: Oct 8, 2021
    JeffreyLeePierre and juks like this.
  16. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    Ronnie Earl

juks and new6659 like this.
  17. montereyjack66

montereyjack66 Country Gent

Feb 29, 2012
    LA-ish
    Any respect for Davey Johnstone?

new6659, pmac11, juks and 1 other person like this.
  18. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Absolutely , and he's still rockin'

new6659 likes this.
  19. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    new6659 and montereyjack66 like this.
  20. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yep - really creative player.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.