Ummm... won’t be on here much next few weeks

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Merc, Sep 16, 2020.

1. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    All the best in everyone's recovery down there. You've been having some tough luck that's for sure.

Merc likes this.
  2. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    Stay well Merc, hope all is well for you and the community down there..

Merc likes this.
  3. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
    Praying for you and yours, and wishing you all the best through this crisis. We are still under a huge smoke blanket here in Oregon, but staying safe and well.

Merc likes this.
  4. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Keep well Merc!

Merc likes this.
  5. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Glad you made it through ok down there in Pcola Merc...
    We were supposed to get some of the rain bands here in Tuscaloosa, Al but thankfully that forecast fizzled out.

Merc likes this.
  6. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    We're catching remnants of it now in North Carolina. Be safe

Merc and MTurner like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thanks all for the prayers and well wishes. Finally just got full power back today. Will update thread tomorrow with the events of the week for anyone interested. It’s been a long week. I’m really tuckered out and hitting the bed in AC after this hot shower I’m about to take. :)

8. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Sending prayers that storm missed us and moved toward you. Sorry you got hit with it

Merc and TSims1 like this.
  9. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Eglin’s a bit East. Hopefully any damage was minor to the house was more minor.

I’ve been on the base multiple times. There’s lots to do up and down the emerald coast. I’m wishing your coworker a smooth move. :)

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    MrWookiee and JeffreyLeePierre like this.
  10. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It definitely would’ve been hard hit on Louisiana. Some of you all should still be recovering from Laura if my memories correct. I don’t want to say it’s a good thing it came this way instead, but in a some ways it is.

11. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Again, thank you for everyone who posted with support earlier. I’d like to reply to all but I’ve got some home schooling to manage with my son after this post.

What a truly tiring week. It’s semi- summarized as:

- Monday: Installed Hurricane shutters in the dark and rain before it hit on Tuesday. It was an overlooked on my part my ladder is not tall enough for the second story windows. I need at least a 28’ ladder.

- Tuesday: Looked out the window and saw my 69 year old neighbor struggling to put on his shutters in poring rain and wind. Went out and gave him a hand. We all lost power at approximately 9:40 pm.

- Wednesday: Sandy seemed to linger forever in the dark of the morning. Moving at 2-4 mph and winds over 100 mph. I know at one point before landing Sandy was over 500 miles wide. Being on the right side of the storm it hits harder. All kinds of bangs and cracks from fences and trees falling and losing limbs for hours. Braving the window I saw huge tree limbs moving like a tumble weed in a western movie. It really felt like the roof would blow off. Another neighbor has a generator and was kind enough to let us move some food into her refrigerator. We used her stove to cook food for us and a different neighbor.

Wednesday afternoon, went out to help a family friend and and wife’s boss clear two big trees from his pharmacy parking lot. Took a bit to get there avoiding hazards along the way. Still a slight rain and wind. Not expecting it to hit hard here most people were probably not stocked up on meds.

Thursday: Cleaned and moved debris from our front and side yard. We’re really lucky we cut over 26 trees down two years ago. Helped a neighbor get his generator going. Went to another and tightened up some siding on his house. Also picked up debri around his house. His wife has Alzheimer’s that’s pretty serious so I knew he would be unable to. I also helped tie up a tarp on someone’s leaky roof. My in-law was able to get power back. So I was able to borrow his generator at night. Powered fridge, lights, and a fan. Moved food back into our fridge. Still 79 degrees indoors. Not bad for this old man. Surprisingly my 5 year old handled it well without much complaint. Cooked food for neighbor throughout day too.

- Friday: Battled a two hour line to get fuel for the generator. Crazies out there trying to cut in line. Times like this can bring the best and worst out of people. My wife was back at work so I was doing full time dad duty all day no cleanup. I needed a day of resting anyway. Not much sleep worrying about generator fuel. Did cook some warm food for neighbors again.

Saturday: Lucked out and found a shorter line for generator fuel. Wife working and dad duty again. Cooking for neighbors. Luckily my son is doing homeschool. So I was able to distract him and continue with the school DVDs throughout the day. A sense of normalcy is a good thing. Took down some shutters once she returned home.

Sunday: Typical fuel run. Power came back on while out A nice treat as we were being told it the outage would be until Tuesday. Took down the last of my shutters. Picked up some oil. Showed my in-law how to replace the oil in the generator, drain fuel, and prepared for storage. Lots of laundry and washing dishes. Putting away extension cords, etc. A nice hot shower to end the day. I’ve taken many a cold ones on deployments, but it doesn’t mean I enjoy them. I now see the benefits of a gas water heater.

- After thoughts. We were blessed overall. Some people not so much. People have trees on houses and still have houses flooded. My wife and I have previously talked about moving out of state at some point. Just for various reasons and a fresh start. Regardless if it’s global warming or not, these storms really seem to be getting more frequent. It just adds incentive if it could continue and gets worse in the coming decades. Lots of research on states to make in the coming months for sure. Going to be a tricky one as we have our sons schooling, employment, and retirement about two decades away. It’ll all work out I’m sure though. We’re really excited and looking forward to the future.

12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    It will be brighter , I'm sure of it :)

Merc likes this.
  13. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    All the best.
    Take care, stay safe..

Merc likes this.
  14. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Great to hear you were not hit hard.
    (And what a nice dad and neighbourg you are)

All the best.

Merc likes this.
  15. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Sending good thoughts to you, friend.

Merc likes this.
  16. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Laura was in lake Charles and that’s on the opposite side of the state so it didn’t affect us at all

Merc likes this.
  17. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Thank you. I really do believe that aside from a few crazies... in hard times most of us come together to help each other out. At least it happens here in the US so I assume it does in the majority of the world.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.