UK Help request, postal bridge UK-France

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by j.s.c, Apr 19, 2021.

1. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Hi People,

I'm looking for solution to a UK only ebay seller whereas I'm on the continental europe (france). Thus, I need someone that could bridge the parcel's journey to france (received it on the island and then send it back to me). Of course I will paypal for the stamps... for this little babe : Selmer little Giant...

[​IMG]

Giant, I think around 10kg...

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021
    hcsterg likes this.
  2. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    PM me if you can help with this... <3

3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Does ebay allow shipping to an address other than the buyer's one?

4. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I dont know. The seller is ok, dont know if eBay has to give any Green light. In usa they confirm addresses of counterparts but not really in Europe, but i’m not sure. Anyway If the seller is ok, im with him.

5. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    7EDF9995-21E8-4973-80AA-5816D4244FF8.jpeg

Can’t find that listing, but there is this one on there.

6. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I already won the auction so you could probably could find it on « completed sale » list.

cowmoo likes this.
  7. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    cowmoo likes this.
  8. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I'd be happy to help.

MTurner, michelb, j.s.c and 3 others like this.
  9. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Nice one Uncle daddy, if for whatever reasons this doesn't work out I'll do it.

10. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Ok Uncle daddy! Thats very nice I will PM you for the following steps. TX!

11. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I don't know why, but it seems I can't creat a new private conversation with you (here is the result : "You may not start a conversation with the following recipients: Uncle Daddy."). Perhaps you have blocked Private Messages. Please PM me from your side.

12. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    PM sent

13. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
  14. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    A Big thanks + a thumb UP for Uncle daddy that made things possible. We know now that GT community is brexit resistant which is quite cool i think (at least for musical stuffs).

Pictures to follow but i can already say after changing the plug from UK to europe format that the box has fired UP without smoking. <3

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
  15. Uncle Daddy

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I have to admit, when I saw the amp while checking for any postal damage, I was almost tempted to keep it for myself! (Kidding!)

j.s.c likes this.
  16. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    The highest ratio of my live with : $120/kg same for wattage $150/Watt ! B-0

but you those you didn't know, Keith Richards him self said he missed this little "radio size" amp from selmer which was his very first guitar amp. Its grand brother the TV/6 model which came in 1957 was also in The Cavern with the Beatles.

Not mine, but for education purpose... Little giant from 1959-68 : the chronology is first white/red, then all gray, croc-skin, and the black and blue box...

Selmer Little Giant family.jpg

Mine is quite rare as it seems to be one of the last units, with black but not the blue speaker cloth but the same they used for bigger amps mkII series (zodiac, thunderbird and all the speakers of 1965-66). This is the one and only I ever saw with this cloth, anyway.

http://www.vintagehofner.co.uk/selmer/black/sel4a.html

What the sound of those : swampy, fuzzy full of mangled mid-range dirt when you push it above noon. Low headroom no very polyvalent to be frank, but juicy, Yes !

Not mine of course, but it will give you a good idea

new6659 and Ricochet like this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Amazing look. Hard to get a sense of scale. What is the speaker size?

18. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    The speaker is .... 6" ! haha soo small.

First test this morning, ... with the gretsch of course.

It has crackled for few 3 to 4 minutes and then return to a quite boy, I presume it was because of a long retirement, and then it was the moment to push the volume.

The box lost a significant part of its headroom above 2/10... What ?! 8-x

Hopefully we've got the master volume knob on our favorite brand, so you can do what you want with the amp on 4 or 5 by lowering the MV. Above 5/10, it's the release of the wild beast. So I choosed to stay in this 4 to 5 zone for the first test.

I'm not completely fond on the bridge tone, quite muddy and picky at the same time (?), I can tame the attack with the amp tone knob but then it's too muddy for me. Perhaps I'm used to some kind of reverb than I really don't have here.

But both pickups and neck positions are both creamy and overshot my expectations... Last thing, the amp is more responsive than other function of the place you're strumming and how close you play from the bridge. The MasterVolume makes the pick-up of the Gretsch "the choice of evidence" with these little giants.

End of the 25 mins very first test.
    A lot of volume from such a small box and a lot of interesting textures inside for sure. I understand why players looking for this one for doing recordings, my guess is that it prefers the bluesbreaker dark guitars than thinner fenders tones. To be confirmed.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2021
    JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  19. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Toyz of the Day, gave joy to neighborhood even with 5W it rocks the building !

This pic also give you an idea of the size of the Little Giant, funny name indeed.

IMG_4333.JPG

20. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    I'm thinking of adding a bypass jack to an external speaker. If there is no male jack then direct contact to the enclosed 6" speaker, if there is a plugged male jack then bypass of the local speaker to the cable >> external speaker.

That's kind of things I would like to know how, but I don't. I presume I need a special jack with extra legs. Please let's comment if you can help.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.