Ughhh...Is a Bigsby B7 a dealbreaker for anybody else?

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Where have I heard that phrase before? :p

View attachment 172645

And wearing that ugly Beskar B7 armor!
Seriously, two sides to every coin, I really like the B7 on any guitar with an arched or figured body.

Yeah, I know they exist for a reason but even then I refuse. If I ever meet the owner of Towner I am buying him dinner, as that is the most perfect creation ever. I even put them on a 335 and SG I... umm... Had. Though it may not look it in this pic, I keep my Towner tension bar on my LP only as low as absolutely nessesary. On a Les Paul, THIS IS THE WAY for me, lol.

I think I'm just super bummed over the recent Pearl Jet. I know I can hunt down an older used one but UGHHHHHH.

IMG-4936-3.jpg

wN0hCbg

this is beautiful and I dont like les pauls :) :) but I love Social distortion

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
In my mind any tension bar Bigsby is a travesty. I will not buy a Gretsch with one. Sad really as so many newer models have a tension bar even proline! I should thank Gretsch for eliminating them from my gas line up.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
Ughhh...Is a Bigsby B7 a dealbreaker for anybody else?

Well, not for me... Nor the B5 too. But yes, B7 and B5 are more demanding in their installation and set-up than the B3 or B6.

There is a great number of guitars that have a B5 or B7 which are incorrectly factory set : position, shape of the top, break angle, etc... The G5435T is one of the examples - among many others no matter the brand - which comes to my mind.

On my G6522TLH, the Bigsby B7LH now operates flawlessly (lower pic) - and it was not at all the case when the guitar was factory stock (upper pic)...

8gm5Ib-comparaison-angle-cordes-G5622T-sans-avec-calage-2.jpg

A roller bridge helps - here is the fine Göldo HW-35C (40 euros here in EU, thomann.de) :

19092704433425019416427779.jpg

And also a well carved anti-friction nut :

19101105550225019416455007.jpg

But yes : the B5 and B7 must be first installed / modded / set-up'ed before.

A+!

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
Not a deal breaker for me. If the angle is too steep, I will either add shims or go with a Bricks BiggsFix. For me, the aesthetics of the guitar is less important than the way it plays. If I can't modify a guitar to work, then I sell it, give it away, and chalk it up as a lesson learned.

That said, I do agree that a correct set up and design should come from the factory, but being a picky engineer, I know that reality that this is not always possible. Would I prefer a B3, or a B6, yes, but our choices have become diminished.

Marv666

Synchromatic
Jul 26, 2020
Germany
on an electromatic jet ok .... i kinda think of it as a better les paul with Gretsch character.
But i´d never buy a proline with a tension bar bigsby!

I thought about replacing the b5 on my electro jet with a b7 cause the b5 is the least gretschy looking,
but i accept the tension roller as it wouldn´t work with a b3 unfortunately.

So on the electro jet ok, but i couldn´t deal with it on a proline .... that´s b3 and b6 territory IMO :)

CicadaNation

Electromatic
Apr 25, 2021
Northern Virginia
The proline choices are limited if you want a filtertron jet. You’ve got the PE, the 59VS, and the 89VS. I’d rather put a Biggsfix on a PE than deal with the mud switch and V neck of the 59 (and have to replace the space control) or the period chambering and aesthetic oddities of the 89. I also put schaller style strap locks and locking tuners on all my electrics anyway.

juks

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
I had the 'luck' of getting divorced in CA. Must be the worst place on earth for that. Took only 8 years...

At year 2 my boss got divorced in TX. Took two weeks. And when the child and spousal support is calculated from gross income, I had less than my rent payment left from my after tax pay check. No buying guitars back then.

But that all is behind now since a while. Just do not get married in CA. :)

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
I had the 'luck' of getting divorced in CA. Must be the worst place on earth for that. Took only 8 years...

At year 2 my boss got divorced in TX. Took two weeks. And when the child and spousal support is calculated from gross income, I had less than my rent payment left from my after tax pay check. No buying guitars back then.

But that all is behind now since a while. Just do not get married in CA. :)

I got married in California in 88' :)

Craig Encinitas

Gretschie
May 3, 2021
Encinitas, Ca
I love-hate-love, but mostly dislike the one on my G6659.
Like most situations, I've learned to deal with it.
If you enjoy sustain, and prefer strumming two chords, 30 seconds apart...then this Bigsby is for you! :p

#Ambience
#PraiseAndWorship

DennisC

Country Gent
May 11, 2017
Germany
Tension bars are not for me . Bought one with one ... won't again. End of.

It isn't that it works wrong or so, but it feels wrong to me ... the B60 on the 5420 feels natural, the 70 on the 2622 feels ... uh. No matter what, the tension bar is a deal breaker to me.

Dana Rudd

Country Gent
Nov 26, 2019
Greybull, WY
Only have one B70 on my G2627T, quickly installed a BiggsFix on it. Functions fine just ugly. Installed the BiggsFix on my B50 equipped G5230T also.
My ProLines all have B6's on them.

Drock2k1

Synchromatic
Feb 26, 2013
Indiana
Well, as much as I don’t like them, I have a Center Block Falcon on the way that has one. I would certainly prefer a different Bigsby but I don’t use it that much so…we will see if it ends up being a deal breaker for me :)