Ughhh...Is a Bigsby B7 a dealbreaker for anybody else?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Londonbus, Dec 21, 2021.

1. Londonbus

Londonbus Gretschie

Oct 19, 2012
    Richland, WA
    Quick backstory. About 3 years ago I went through a horrible divorce that became an all consuming nightmare, financialy crushed me, and thus wiped out pretty much all (no..wait..all) of my guitar collection. I haven't even really looked at or thought about a guitar in that time.

Anyways, that is all behind me and I've fallen back into it again hard. So naturally, the first thing I start doing?... Start shopping for a Jazzmaster and start shopping for a Gretsch.

I was horrified to see that Gretsch has fully embraced my archenemy and nemisis, the Bigsby B7. I absolutely loath them. I dislike the looks. I dislike the feel and action. I dislike they are screwed into the top of the guitar. I was seeing so many gorgeous models of new (well, within the past few years) models of Gretsch guitars that were just jawdropping gorgeous and otherwise perfect... Totally ruined by that stupid Bigsby model. I always wanted a Blue Pearl Jet, flipped when I saw their return, then... Oh God no... A B7. I saw the return of the red Sparkle Jet... Same thing. I saw several new models that without that dreaded B7 I would have jumped all over immediately. The B7 was an absolute dealbreaker. I'm actually incredibly bummed about this.

The smoothness of a B3 or B6 is perfection to me. The Gretsch V cutout Bigsbys worked and looked classy and elegant. Now I see new versions of guitars I've always loved completely ruined by these B7 eyesores.

Am I the only one who feels this strongly about this?

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ah .... I see your ex must have had my ex's attorney o_O:confused:

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I am another member of the B7 haters club, I sympathize totally with your sentiments. I refuse to buy a Gretsch with a B7 installed.

Ando and Londonbus like this.
  4. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Not my favorite Bigsby, but they exist for a reason. I've got one on my Les Paul, and it's not so bad. Works pretty well in fact.

But an LP's not a Gretsch, so different thing I guess.

As I understand it, some of the new Jets (Players Editions mostly) feature a "low-set" neck, which lowers the whole profile of the strings over the guitar's surface, with the pups sitting a good bit lower, too. Probably safe to say it changes the break angle at the bridge, requiring the use of a tension bar Bigsby.

Given the choice of a B7 or no Bigsby at all, I dunno ... take your pick.

section2 and Craig Encinitas like this.
  5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I don’t mind the look of a B7 on a Gibson, but I prefer my Gretschs to have a B6 or a B3.

A few of their current models still have the right bigsbys, but it seems like less and less of them do these days.
    Buy used and buy old.

Waxhead, section2 and Marv666 like this.
  6. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    To the question "Why does a divorce cost so much?" comes the answer, "Because it's worth it. "

Hammerhead, SAguitar, juks and 6 others like this.
  7. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I have a 5622 and a 5627, both with the licensed tension bar Bigsby (B70?). So no, not a dealbreaker per se, but it’s definitely not my preference. I have a V-cut B6 on a 6120, and that is what a Bigsby oughta be. Besides the dreaded tension bar itself, I prefer the traditional neck angle. Oh well. It didn’t stop me from trading for, or playing, the 572x twins.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
    Philtertronic and Marv666 like this.
  8. maverick-tx

maverick-tx Gretschie

Feb 7, 2017
    TX
  9. Londonbus

Londonbus Gretschie

Oct 19, 2012
    Richland, WA
    Yeah, I know they exist for a reason but even then I refuse. If I ever meet the owner of Towner I am buying him dinner, as that is the most perfect creation ever. I even put them on a 335 and SG I... umm... Had. Though it may not look it in this pic, I keep my Towner tension bar on my LP only as low as absolutely nessesary. On a Les Paul, THIS IS THE WAY for me, lol.

I think I'm just super bummed over the recent Pearl Jet. I know I can hunt down an older used one but UGHHHHHH.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I like B7s, just think they don’t look good on a Gretsch. A B5 or the Towner look even worse.

[​IMG]

DennisC, Craig Encinitas and Sabato like this.
  11. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    All I know is I have " Bigsbyitis " ( that means I can't play a guitar without one )

emitex, Marv666 and Londonbus like this.
  12. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    I don’t particularly dislike them, I think that B5 is a lot worse aesthetically.
    Said that, I’ve only owned one in a Loar and it didn’t work that bad. I’m not a great Bigsby user though. I like the look a lot, but not really the “effect”:), I’ve never been a tremolo fan and that includes Strats and Jazzmasters.
    To be honest, being a Billy Zoom fan, one of my favorite Bigsby ever it’s sure the B11.
    I don’t know why you don’t see more of them on guitars.

13. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Sorry about your divorce. Agree re: B3 and B6.

One too many bars for me. Yes, B7 is a deal-breaker for me. I mean no offense to those who have and like them.

Attached Files:

14. mandobandit

mandobandit Gretschie

Apr 1, 2019
    Ohio
    I had a PE Jet for 24 hours played it for maybe 2 straight back to Sweetwater
    Replaced it with a 59 VS happiness

15. db62

db62 Synchromatic

Apr 6, 2009
    Toronto, Canada
    This is the Jet to get! The '53 Vintage Select. TV Jones T-Armonds, script logo and no B7!
    [​IMG]

16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I got pretty good at working out the bugs in my Bigsbys with a tension bar, like the B7. However; after I sold my last tension bar Gretsch I have only looked at and bought non-tension bar Bigsby equipped Gretschs since.

17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    B7 are wrong. Hate screwing into the top, hate the length, hate the tension bar. No. Never.

18. Shadowy_Man

Shadowy_Man Gretschie

May 18, 2020
    Chicago
    I feel the same. The tension bar ruins the feel and hinders the guitar from returning to pitch when you use it.

stevo likes this.
  19. Ktone

Ktone Electromatic

Oct 31, 2021
    SE PA USA
    Where have I heard that phrase before? :p

536EC225-2BB9-4519-9FD1-7DF4662C4953.jpeg

And wearing that ugly Beskar B7 armor!
    Seriously, two sides to every coin, I really like the B7 on any guitar with an arched or figured body.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.