U2 IE Tour

dinks

Country Gent
Dec 18, 2014
Kansas
Next weekend the wife and I are headed to Denver to see U2 in concert. I've been a big fan of theirs since college, and I'm really excited to see them live.

U2 doesn't seem to be standard fair for most of this crowd, but is anybody else going to catch this tour/been in the past?

Armygirl

Country Gent
Mar 14, 2014
Edinburgh
Just heard their tour manager died suddenly and they are considering what to do next... They are looking like going ahead but they said that 'is subject to change'. I hope it works out ok for you but please check...

DaddyDog

Country Gent
Sep 18, 2011
Mississauga, Canada
I saw the Unforgettable Fire tour, and the Elevation tour. Excellent live show. For Elevation, I remember the sound was astonishingly good for inside an arena. And there are not many songs that have given me chills, but Sunday Bloody Sunday is one of them.

I know they're not everybody's cup of tea. And they've had their ups and downs. But they've written some awesome songs. Enjoy!

dinks

Country Gent
Dec 18, 2014
Kansas
That is sad.

I'm no hater, but I love the irony of Bono having a sig guitar while the Edge hasn't...

I've thought this was funny as well, but it'd be hard to narrow what an Edge signature would be... When Bono plays, it's usually a Gretsch. Edge could have a signature Les Paul, Strat, Tele, Rickenbacker, Gretsch, Explorer, on and on.

Abeno Matto

Gretschie
May 8, 2014
Japan
They always put on a great show. Saw them the first time in 1983 at the RIT gym in Rochester NY. It was half-full. My friend got the tickets from a radio station promo. I only new their two songs: "New Years Day" and "Gloria" at the time. They were all smiles and fun. It was just before they got super big with "Unforgettable Fire". Saw them years later in Japan on the Popmart tour. They were great in a different way.

Penguin

Country Gent
Nov 20, 2011
Sydney, Australia
Yep I'm a supporter. I love their earlier material, not so much now, but I respect that they are great musicians, innovators and survivors.

And I'm sad to hear that Bono may not be able to play again - the accident sounded bad (though I thought Edge's comment about that, reflects what a cool guy he must be).

DrSetzer

Gretschie
Jun 21, 2013
Belfast, Northern Ireland.
I was never a fan of them until I was bought a ticket for the Popmart tour that just happened to be 10 minutes walk from my house, what a show that was and I have respected them a lot more since that concert.

I have seen Bono's house a few times when I have been in Dublin, its probably more impressive than their concerts!

dinks

Country Gent
Dec 18, 2014
Kansas
I had a roommate in college that played their music night and day. I didn't really start to appreciate them until I started watching recordings of their concerts. They are one of the few groups that I'd prefer to hear live than in studio. So many musicians need layers and layers of post production to make their sound, and I love the fact that U2s sound is bigger and better live than when it's meticulously produced. Really looking forward to actually seeing them live.

Mikus11

Synchromatic
Jan 4, 2012
London ON Canada
I've thought this was funny as well, but it'd be hard to narrow what an Edge signature would be... When Bono plays, it's usually a Gretsch. Edge could have a signature Les Paul, Strat, Tele, Rickenbacker, Gretsch, Explorer, on and on.

I think he'll always be most known as a Strat guy. Was good to see him rocking a Gretsch Duo Jet on the first Jimmy Fallon Tonight Show.

TeeDub

Synchromatic
Jun 21, 2011
Colorado
Back in 1981 I saw them on their first tour of the US. Tickets were $4 at the wonderful Rainbow Music Hall in Denver. There were probably no more than 300 in attendance. After that they continued their tour going west. A few weeks later they hit Denver again on their way back east. My "new wave" band got the warm up spot for that show and I did talk to them briefly. Edge was using an AC30 with an Electro-Harmonix delay of some kind. Very nice guys - they sure liked their beer! I thought they might do well.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
That is sad.

I'm no hater, but I love the irony of Bono having a sig guitar while the Edge hasn't...

The Edge doesnt want one, if he did Joe Carducci would have set him up just like he did with Bono. Bono is a great rhythm guitarist but it would be boring as hell to watch them perform if he was locked behind a mic stand and guitar. The Edge is too busy controlling a billion different amp and effect combinations to run around and play rock star. You have seen what happens when the band makes him walk around on runways with the guitar. He falls off the stage :)

dinks

Country Gent
Dec 18, 2014
Kansas
I think he'll always be most known as a Strat guy. Was good to see him rocking a Gretsch Duo Jet on the first Jimmy Fallon Tonight Show.

I mostly associate him with his Explorer, at least the look. That's probably just because nobody else plays them, but even though the really iconic sounds came out of his Strat, I still see him with the Explorer.

ennisphd

Gretschie
Sep 15, 2010
Alberta
U2 are one of my all time favourite bands. They were HUGE for me growing up. Musically, I've been disappointed by U2 for a long time now, but that happens to bands, almost as a rule. I've seen them live twice. The first time was the Joshua Tree tour (1987?), and as a 17 year old, it was practically a religious experience. I saw them again on the 360 tour in 2009. I was afraid that they much-hyped "claw" stage and associated light show would be a distraction from what once was a truly great live band, but in fact, it really worked! The music and the show were well integrated so that the content and the presentation worked together beautifully. That said, in order to pull off a show that sophisticated the band has no choice but to stay "on script" and play the songs how they rehearsed them, and I confess I missed the spontaneity that used to be the lifeblood of their shows. Remember how they used to break out into a medley of Dylan, Stones, and Lennon songs, in the middle of their own tune? Or Live Aid (?) when he hopped off the stage, pulled the kid out of the crowd and danced with her, then wandered about for an uncomfortably long time before finally making back onstage and singing bits of Ruby Tuesday and Walk on the Wildside. I miss Bono "off the chain".