TVJ's English Mount Experiment On A G5420t

Michael314

Electromatic
Jun 10, 2013
Minnesota
So. I'm trying to change out the huge ugly regular Blacktop Filter'Tron mounts on the new G5420t. I just don't think they look great on a 16" bout guitar. Honestly I don't think they look too great on a 17" bout guitar either, but it's an overbearing amount of metal on the G5420t for my preference.

Ya'll can call me crazy on this. I accept that. ha

So. The first thing I had to do was figure out a way to get the blacktops to mount into a standard 1 screw on the bass end, one screw on the treble end in the mount. That actually was fairly simple. Since the Blacktops mount like normal Filter's, to mount on the rings, like they have them, Gretsch made a little "wedge mount" of sorts that are on the bottom side of the pickups that are held on by the casing screws on the top of the pickups. Simple remedy was to drill a hole in this wedge in the middle of the side that has two mounting screws. I think I used a 1/16" drill bit for this... Can't remember offhand and it's not in the same building as I am at the moment to check.

But here's the hard part. And where I'm actually currently stuck.

This mod is easily done on the 5120 model guitars. People do it all the time when they switch out the old Gretschbuckers with Filter's. But there's a difference in the new G5420t model in the way that the pickup holes are routed out of the guitar. Since the new Blactop Filter's have a two-screw mount on the bass side, the actual pickup cavity is routed wider than on a 5120. Therefore, I was BARELY able to mount the new English Mount rings on this guitar. And when I did....... The pickups were crooked, because that was the only way to get the pickups mounted in the guitar top.

So I'm looking for a way to add a little bit of wood to the inside of the pickup cavity on this guitar, paint it to match, and be able to mount these pickups straight and level with the fretboard and bridge. Does anyone have any ideas? I'm thinking about making a wooden shim/wedge and gluing it with wood glue to the inside of the cavity, giving me just a little more area to put in the mounting screws so they have some wood to catch... But I'm not sure if this is the best way to accomplish what I'm trying to do..... I haven't seen/heard of anyone else who's tried this so it's understandable if no one has any real solutions... ha. But the experiment is fun! I bought this guitar to mod and tinker with anyways. It's been fun! But I'm stuck on this...

Thanks in advance!
-Michael

Attachments

• image-1295434307.jpg
    image-1295434307.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 86
  • image-4232582502.jpg
    image-4232582502.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 72
  • image-1382349596.jpg
    image-1382349596.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 92
  • image-1806423756.jpg
    image-1806423756.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 69
  • image-1010902499.jpg
    image-1010902499.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 126
  • image-2274424523.jpg
    image-2274424523.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 67

The Marlin

Friend of Fred
Feb 2, 2011
London...ish
It seems like you got the wroing guitar if you don't like all that metal. You Could end ip with a bodge job. I would reassemble as standard, sell it (or trade it), and get a 5120.

I personally like the pickup mounts now I've gotten used to them. I also like the flexibly of adjustment they offer (especially tilt).

Good luck

Marlin :)

Michael314

Electromatic
Jun 10, 2013
Minnesota
It seems like you got the wroing guitar if you don't like all that metal. You Could end ip with a bodge job. I would reassemble as standard, sell it (or trade it), and get a 5120.

I personally like the pickup mounts now I've gotten used to them. I also like the flexibly of adjustment they offer (especially tilt).

Good luck

Marlin :)

Part of me thinks I maybe did get the wrong guitar. But I think its too late now, and I am bound and determined to make this work! ;) But your concern exactly is mine! I don't wanna botch this thing any more than I already have... I'm not willing to drill into it one more time and not have it right, so I need to either A) be extremely careful next time I drill, or B) just put the original pickup rings back on.

If I can't get anything else figured out then that's exactly what I'm thinkin' I'll have to do. I don't wanna ruin this thing for good.

Latest posts