TVJ Powertrons anyone?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by calebaaron666, Sep 7, 2021.

1. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    I inherited the one on the left from a co-worker friend who passed away. I helped his sister sort through his guitar collection and gave her the lowdown and general price of everything. He used to share all of his acquisitions and projects with me. As a thank you she gave me his amazing Partscaster. He spec'd it out like a 60s Strat but with a 9.5" radius and built it. The nitro finishing and aging was done by MJT. It's a really light ash body. It's a great playing and sounding guitar. Understandably it has a lot of sentimental value to me.

2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Touching - sad but glad it gets to be used.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  3. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    i once had a set powertron/Powertron plus .... amazing in a les paul but too modern/gibsony in a gretsch hollowbody imo

calebaaron666 likes this.
  4. LivCo

LivCo Electromatic

Sep 10, 2015
    Chicago
    Depends on the purpose. For a straight rock guitar, pretty darn good. Like this one I played out last weekend. 486F7D02-B730-40BF-9ED7-53261855A13B.jpeg

5. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    Caleb, I never played Powertrons but if you need that Great Gretsch Sound with more grind (with a bit less definition, I guess) there’s only one answer:
    Ceramic Filtertrons.
    Nothing special for clean/crunch sound but if you need to rock… boy, they’re ace. :)

calebaaron666 likes this.
  6. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I have a pair in my Power Jet also. I love the sound of them. I am a knob twiddler and the jets tone, volumes and mud switch give so many options to play with.

The can rock hard, they can classic rock, they can do articulate cleans. Mine are just not muddy, to my ears.

I'm playing The Beatles through to hard Rock and I've never thought of swapping them out.

I'd say with the chambered body the Jet still sounds like a Gretsch.

new6659 likes this.
  7. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    I've done three with power'trons, I love them.

23334290_1995020740714102_2766521981485836632_o_1995020740714102.jpg BB!.jpg bb2.jpg

8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Have them in my 5120 and LOVE them. I typically go for more blues-y grindy “cleans” up to Billy Duffy slam, but they do clean really great as well IMO. Note though, I typically don’t like bright jangly tones, so maybe that’s where the love comes in. :cool:

823685F7-D128-4A9E-8C17-222594D3A437.jpeg

9. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve had a set and thought that they were pretty good. They strike me as still being solid in the Filtertron family, albeit very authoritative Filtertrons. If you roll the volume back they clean up nice and sound a lot like Filters.

10. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I had these in my 6120 before I swapped them out for TVJ Ray Butts. I liked the bridge pickup on it’s own.

BuddyHollywood and Mr Swisher like this.
  11. xtcclassic

xtcclassic Gretschie

Jan 9, 2019
    Missouri
    I have a G5422T with a Classic Plus, a Jet with a Setzer, a Jet with a Power’Tron Plus, a Jet with a Power’Tron, and a PRS Vela with a Power’Tron. The Power’Tron is great in a solid body if you’re looking for a slightly fatter and slightly hotter Filter’Tron. I can see how it wouldn’t be the right pickup in a hollowbody though.

12. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    powertron start wandering toward PAFs but solidly gretsch twang, and the crunch is very dynamic.

13. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    LOVE them in my 5120

xtcclassic likes this.
  14. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I found the best combo for me was a Powertron in the bridge and a Classic (or even better- a Setzer Sig) in the neck.

I currently have Setzer Sigs in my Hot Rod, but if working on these hollowbodies wasn't such a PITA, I'd swap the Setzer bridge out for a Powertron.

15. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I agree, they are still very "Gretschy" and not muddy as some have said (altho the neck CAN get muddy...). Do most people who own Grestches chase the Chet Atkins clean-as-a-whistle tone or something??? I hate it. Sparkle yes- but Grestches are capable of so much more than that...

xtcclassic and Marv666 like this.
  16. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I like how you stated that. Now I understand why the Powertrons I used to have in my Tennie always looked like they were in motion.

TV the Wired Turtle likes this.
  17. loganmac123

loganmac123 Newbie

Oct 3, 2021
    United States
    Hey I have this exact guitar, a 2006 model. The neck actually broke twice in some freak accidents and has been re-set back and is holding. Have got it setup to 10's but am getting some buzzing with the G string around the 9th and 10th frets and a lot on the low E string. My latest guy recommended a roller bridge. What do you think about that and also I'm wondering if I should replace the nut. Please help as this was an old piece I'm trying to keep alive my dad got me 14 years ago when I was 17.

Thanks,

Logan

18. loganmac123

loganmac123 Newbie

Oct 3, 2021
    United States
    Hello, people. This is my guitar and I'm looking for any advice on improving it. I just set it up to 10's and my guitar man is recommending a roller bridge... I'm getting rattling/buzzing with the low E and some other places like G string 9th and 10th fret... should I look into a new nut or have it checked and whats a possible new bridge that would help? The neck broke twice at the heel in some crazy accidents I won't mention lol but it's re-set and holding well. Obviously some visible signs of damage and repair but it's okay. So thanks for any help in moving forward in trying to really value and cherish this piece given to me by my father when I was 17 years old. Oh yeah and how about a really good fretboard conditioner?

Thanks!!

20211003_191818_copy_3468x4624.jpg

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  19. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    dont blink! :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.