TVJ Powertrons anyone?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by calebaaron666, Sep 7, 2021.

1. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Who has had, or has a pair?
    How d’you like them?
    Do they Rock n’ Roll?

I’m curious, how do they feel compared to HS Filtertrons or TV Classic/Classic plus?

2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Had a pair in my 6128TVP. They were fine, but I felt that they were a bit too much like a Gibson PAF humbucker - rounded top end, not enough Gretschiness. So imagine a PAF but with a bit of Gretchiness. Great if you're after that tone. At first I thought I kind of wanted that. Then I started wanting more TV Classic tone.

I ended up swapping them out for a TV Classic Plus bridge and a Supertron neck. Now perfect for me.

Marv666, Merc and calebaaron666 like this.
  3. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Thanx!
    I’m wondering about getting a raunchier Filtertron sound, but I was concerned the p-tron would be more PAF than tron.

stevo likes this.
  4. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Haven't tried them but they are on the short list for purchasing at the moment, I have decided that they will end up in one of my guitars at some point, if not I'll be buying a guitar with them in it.

If you do get them please post your thoughts.

5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Caleb. I had a pair of them in my Power Jet. I tried to get them to sound good for almost a year, including rewiring the guitar, treble bleeds, and several phone calls and emails to Tom Jones himself. While Mr. Jones was polite, professional, and tried very hard to help, I was never able to get them to sound any better than OK. Even that involved disconnecting half of the funky Gretsch wiring. I tried a set of HS Filters in the Jet and they are there to this day because they sound great.

The Powertrons were muddy, thick as syrup and notes were very indistinct. As I said, after months of monkey motion I got them to sound OK, but I didn't spend the money on the beautiful Jet to sound just OK, right?

I sold the Powertrons.

PS: They were nothing like a good PAF. I like the sound of a good PAF.

6. calebaaron666

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    You, sir, just successfully talked me down.
    I love the HS Filtertrons in my Falcon, but I was considering the change, if only to complicate my life.

Many many thanks!

I’ll keep the HS Filtertrons where they are.

Outlaw, section2, Marv666 and 2 others like this.
  7. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    Looks like I’m a bit late to the party and you’ve decided already. I had a 125th anniversary 6118 with stock PowerTrons. It was my one complaint about the guitar. A bit dark/muddy and not as sparkly. They probably have their place and work for some players… just not this guy.

Marv666 and calebaaron666 like this.
  8. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I have TVJ Powertrons in 2 guitars:
    6128T-TV-TM PowerJet Flame Top
    G6128T-TV-TM 047.jpg
    6118T-130th Anniversary Junior
    6118T 130th JR 002.JPG
    I love them in the Jet, but less in love with them in the hollowbody Junior.

9. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

To add to the debate, I have them in my G6131T-TVP Firebird Red PowerJet and I'm happy they're there. I have started to call this guitar the "Gas-Buster". It tends towards the PAF realm when the master volume is turned down but still sounds like a Gretsch to me.

upload_2021-9-8_0-52-41.jpeg

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah I like Powertrons.
    Have not owned one but have played a few power Jets.

Compared to the Classic/Classic Plus combo 2 x Powertrons are higher output, have good articulation but don't twang like the Classics.

P'Trons are a touch more like PAF's but not too much - kinda half way.
    They are an excellent rock/blues pup imo :)

Best suited to a Jet, Billy Bo, Corvette, Tele or SG imo

11. Lockupyourfatdog

Lockupyourfatdog Synchromatic

Aug 8, 2016
    Everett wa
    I have a powertron+ in my falcon and love how it sounds. It’s kind of a one trick pony but I’m not for versatility anyway. I think it would be a good pickup for you to have….but not in your falcon. No need to mess with its magic. Although switching back is easy enough

12. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I have a Powertron+ in my Penguin's bridge. I also rewired the guitar using the Hot Rod spec. A Magnatron in the neck. Guitar is awesome.

Marv666 likes this.
  13. Ashley1983

Ashley1983 Gretschie

Aug 9, 2020
    England
    I think they would be perfect in a telecaster I am a dynosonic lover though which I appreciate is not for everyone but sounds amazing through a Vox

NJDevil and calebaaron666 like this.
  14. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I'm always flirting with the idea of swapping out the way-too-hot Lollar P90s in my Edwards goldtop LP for either Powertrons or a set of Dynas/T-Armonds.

Almost forgot..... I've heard a Tele equipped with Powertrons and they rock!

ruger9, Marv666 and Ashley1983 like this.
  15. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    I have a pair in my Power Jet. They sound great with overdrive, not so clean in my opinion. I prefer Filtertrons for versatility. But Powertrons do rock.

16. Wozob

Wozob Country Gent

Jul 6, 2014
    The Netherlands
    Nice photo.

new6659 likes this.
  17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    A sole Powertron at the bridge is the stock pickup in my 6119 . It sounds awesome with Marshall-type amps.
    It has all the good aspects of a Filtertron and a PAF . Great openness paired with big punch.
    It`s a hard-rocking melange.

18. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Yea, depends on the tone you want. If I had four Gretsches, one of them would have the Powertrons. Nothing bad or wrong there.

calebaaron666 likes this.
  19. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    I have a Power'Tron in the bridge of one of my Strats and it the best bridge humbucker for a Strat that I've ever heard. It's perfectly balanced for what is normally considered a thin sounding position.
    upload_2021-9-8_10-37-56.jpeg

new6659, audept, Waxhead and 2 others like this.
  20. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    But I'm loving that ivory one on the left. How did you get that aging? It's fantastic.

BuddyHollywood likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.