TV Jones PowerTron or Classic?

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by AudioDemon, Feb 3, 2013.

1. AudioDemon

AudioDemon Electromatic

Jan 28, 2013
    Seattle, USA
    Hello everyone. After hours of research I am convinced that buying TV Jones are the best route to go even though they are pretty expensive.

Here is the deal..

I play Alternative Rock, and most Modern Worship music i.e. JesusCulture or Hillsong United.

I am stuck between the TVJ PowerTrons or the TVJClassics

I want the classic Gretsch sound, but I would like to be able to do high gain riffs or solos like a humbucker would produce. Most examples are done in a clean tone which doesn't give me much of an idea how they sound distorted or boosted.

I am leaning towards the PowerTrons but I want to be sure that they still can retain the classic gretsch sound. Any ideas or opinions?

Thanks!

2. dazzajl

dazzajl Country Gent

Apr 18, 2010
    wiltshire
    powertrons are gretschy but probably the least gretschy filter option. they have a very pronounced mid range compared to all the rest. the classics will still give you a great gritty sound and be more in keeping with the gretsch realm.

3. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I have powertrons in my Spectra Sonic, and they growl and grind like a nasty HB but still sound distinctively gretsch.
    My Anni has classics and can do the same.
    The powers give more mid as far as I can tell.
    I don't use much overdrive but they'll both sound different to your average paf hb.

4. AudioDemon

AudioDemon Electromatic

Jan 28, 2013
    Seattle, USA
    So even TVJ Classics can produce a high gain rock tone with their low output? If so, should I get a TVJ classic in the neck and a classic plus in the bridge?

5. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    I've messed around with winding up the drive on pedals and they've done just fine, not as dark as Gibbo HB's, and more edgey not as smooth, but as the classics are in a hollowbody, it gets way too unwieldy at volume!
    Like I said, I mainly play with mild overdrive from the amp with some boost so maybe someone else who uses higher gain settings at gigging volume will be able to help.

6. AudioDemon

AudioDemon Electromatic

Jan 28, 2013
    Seattle, USA
    Bump: Does anyone play with TVJ Classics at gigging volume and use high distortion and gain?

7. Dirtymug666

Dirtymug666 Synchromatic

Mar 10, 2011
    Muskogee, Oklahoma
    I have classics in my 5120 and I've played with a Billy brain into a CRANKED jca20h->212 cab. The bridge pup rock and rolls like no other. It does high gain very well for me. Although it does not sound like any other humbucker. It's a very unique high gain sound. I think you'll love it. But if you are really wanting a clean filter sound and a high gain PAF sound, it doesn't really work that way. More like a clean filter sound and a monstrous angry Gretsch sound when you drive the hell out of it

MKunie likes this.
  8. Raconteur

Raconteur Gretschie

Nov 12, 2010
    Utah, USA
    Classics. Best all around pickup I've ever heard or used.

9. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    A Classic in the neck & a Classic Plus in the bridge will work nicely for what your after!!!! ...l personally would go with a Supertron in the neck [worship] & a Classic Plus in the Bridge [Alternate Rock] ... you'll get a very usable middle position too!! ..i'd email Tom & let him know what your after so he can make as balanced a set as possible.

10. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    In a nutshell, the Classics are the most Filtertron-y. Powertrons have that Filtertron jangle but have a Gibson PAF lean.

Getting a more modern gainy growl out of an amp is a balance between the amp and guitar. You won't need as high a gain amp if you are bombarding its input with high output pickups. If you have a high gain amp like Soldano or something, then you won't necessarily need high output pickups.

Case in point, I had one of the Jet City amps. Killer amps for gain. I played my Gretsch through it. MEAN sounding. :) ...and my Gretsch has Powertrons.

11. lukez8513

lukez8513 Gretschie

Dec 27, 2011
    If you looking for versatility- classics. I have both and love them each for different reasons. But classics do well for everything you're looking for

12. papalobo

papalobo Gretschie

Oct 29, 2012
    Georgia
    Classic /Classic plus has al the sparlkle , yet handles overdrive wonderfully

13. mrstrum

mrstrum Electromatic

Oct 7, 2012
    surrey
    I took Powertrons out of mine and put in a Classic & a Classic plus and have been very happy with them. I too play in Worship Bands and the Powertrons were just too dark for me

14. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I have Classics / Plus in my G5120 and they sound amazing. Really good. The leads are super hot and awesome.

I got a Powertron plus for my Penguin's bridge. I will be installing that soon. Along iwth a Magnatron for the neck. I'm excited to hear it.

In the future, if I can justify it, I may replace the HSFTs in my Falcon with TVJclassics or powertrons depending on how I like them.

15. AudioDemon

AudioDemon Electromatic

Jan 28, 2013
    Seattle, USA
    Wow this was great feedback! Looks like I will be going for a Classic in the Neck and a Classic Plus in the Bridge! Thank-you all for contributing to my final decision!

16. Kmonz90

Kmonz90 Country Gent

Jan 20, 2013
    Minnesota
    Yes and thats my suggestion

G DynaTron likes this.
  17. Dirtymug666

Dirtymug666 Synchromatic

Mar 10, 2011
    Muskogee, Oklahoma
    You will not be disappointed

18. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    On what guitar? That seems like a somewhat important question to ask. I mean, there are a lot of folks here who don't feel it's necessary to go TVJ in every situation where a Gretsch Filter will work.

Class A Man likes this.
  19. 95strat

95strat Electromatic

Aug 25, 2009
    Evansville
    I have a Power Jet and play mostly worship stuff like you. I love the Powertron in the bridge postion. Man, it gets a really nice chimey drive with drive pedals.

I've never used Classics so I can't compare. I like a lot of mids and chime and the Powertron's seem to deliver.

Class A Man likes this.
  20. Class A Man

Class A Man Gretschie

Jan 1, 2016
    Louisville Kentucky
    I'm a newbie to the world of filtertrons and Gretsch, but fwiw..

Going by the general consensus on gear forums and per TV Jones Powertron description on their website, I think a Powertron in the bridge spot would meet your description of what you want. And enhanced mids will get you through the mix.

Curious:
    As Stevo asked, what guitar ?

Do you use a clean boost ?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.