TV Jones MagnaTron? Any users here?

FractalPhan

Electromatic
Jun 30, 2022
Connecticut
Hi Folks,

Have any of you used TVJ Magnatrons? I understand that they are clean and low output, but I read that they take pedals (OD?) well.
if you have personal experience, let me know if you have them in a solid body or hollow body. I have a solid body that I am considering them for but want to get some feedback from folks that used them, the good, the bad and the ugly. Thanks!

s360guitarist

Electromatic
Feb 17, 2010
St. Louis
Have been considering one in the neck slot of my 5230t Jet. Looking for a bit more clarity than the TVJ Classic I have in there now. I just put up an ad in the classifieds for a Dyna type, as well as a Magnatron. We'll see.

FractalPhan

Electromatic
Jun 30, 2022
Connecticut
TV Jones tried to capture some of the dynasonic single coil bite in a noiseless humbucker. They're not low output.

I placed them in a Epi Firebird, but due to life happening haven't been able to really put'm through their paces.
You are correct!

I made the low output mistake bc of TV Jones putting Magnatones in the clean category. I am so curious about this pickup, but most like will go the safe route, PowerTron's.

Not many good demos on the web. Thanks again Ricochet!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 3.26.48 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 3.26.48 PM.png
    250.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 3.26.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-08-06 at 3.26.17 PM.png
    12.1 KB · Views: 3

Tele295

Country Gent
Jun 4, 2008
Bigsby Springs, CA
I’m contemplating a set for my Jet. The stock blacktop things are a bit lifeless when compared to other guitars I’m using on the same projects, although they sound pretty good when played as the sole guitar.

I’d like to get my Jet to sound a little more like a Jazzmaster (imo, the perfect blend of Fender and Gretschiness). Tavo told me the Magnatrons are like having 2 Jaguar pickups in series. Maybe hook it up with a series/parallel switch instead of the weaker sounding coil tap.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Why do you think it wouldn’t work on the neck pickup? I’m a neck pickup kinda guy
Bridge Magna is 8K in series, in parallel 4K. Neck Magna is 4.8K in series, in parallel that would be 2.4K, which is bordering on the anaemic.
Maybe get two bridge versions?

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
I almost went with a Magnatron in the neck of my Falcon because I wanted a “Dyna” tone there, but I ultimately just went with a T-Armond neck pickup instead.
Maybe I shoulda went with the Mag because it’s hum canceling, and it’d match the bridge Filtertron better in the looks department.
But oh well!
AB378E30-1BB6-4AC3-BB34-35A3598A2974.jpeg

lordhelmet

Gretschie
Apr 5, 2020
Germany
I use one. In the bridge of my full hollow 3161. Supertron in the neck. I love this combo.
I have the same combination in my G2420, Supertron in the neck + Magnatron in the bridge. They complement each other very well: warm, jangly neck and a bright, tight foundation. I also love the Magnatron on its own very much. Crystal clear and bright, but not in a harsh way, nice twang.
Since there are not many audio/video examples, I trusted TV Jones' description, which is quite accurate, took a gamble and just ordered them.
IMG_20220121_094920.jpg

calebaaron666

Friend of Fred
Aug 15, 2018
Auburn, Maine
I have the same combination in my G2420, Supertron in the neck + Magnatron in the bridge. They complement each other very well: warm, jangly neck and a bright, tight foundation. I also love the Magnatron on its own very much. Crystal clear and bright, but not in a harsh way, nice twang.
Since there are not many audio/video examples, I trusted TV Jones' description, which is quite accurate, took a gamble and just ordered them.
View attachment 186756
This is the 2nd hottest Streamliner I’ve ever seen. This guitar looks like a Rock n’ Roll monster!