TV Jones Classics for country music?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Axeman, Dec 25, 2014.

1. Axeman

Axeman Gretschie

Apr 25, 2014
    Ottawa
    Hey Hey,

I was wondering if anyone has had good experiences using TV Jones Classics in country music?

I have a Duo-Jet with Dynas and I get a good sparkly single coil sound I can use in country music, but I'd rather keep it at home more rather than gig too much with it.

Recently I bought a Jet Club and I want to use it if I gig anywhere and I would really like to put TV Classics in it. I'm playing a lot of country at the moment and I like the sound of TV Classics from youtube videos I've seen but I have not found many samples of it's use in the country genre. They sound great for rock and has a bright sound for a humbucker but I was just wondering if anyone uses them (in a solid body) playing a lot of country music.

It seems like everyone in country music uses only single coils, and more specifically Telecasters. I'm a little concerned about the warmth Classics will bring to lead playing as not cutting through like Tele's do, but I wanted to check to see if anyone crossed the line in the sand and plays some Vince Gill stuff with TV Classics with good results.

2. Rodney Gene

Rodney Gene Synchromatic

Mar 30, 2014
    Austin Texas
    The term 'country' covers alot of ground....but if you are referring to classic country twang, Bakersfield, hot country chicken picken, then yes. The TVJ classic would be hard to tell apart from a Tele in my experience. I use them as a alternative for country chicken picken often.

Fear not, the twang is there. Superb choice for classic country music.

Cheers, RG

3. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Have a go on a Cabronita. Twang city!

4. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    TVJ Classics are the best upgrade I can think of for a Jet Club.

And I think, these pickups would be the best choice for Country besides Dynas ... though I'm not a Country fan, so other opinions might vary.

5. weazel

weazel Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2011
    UK
    I have tv classics in my cabronita and they work well through a compressor for chicken pickin country rock n roll and anything else I play.

image-2567591284.jpg

6. Axeman

Axeman Gretschie

Apr 25, 2014
    Ottawa
    I love this site. Im sold. TV Classics it is, the twang will rise again!

7. GTR6119

GTR6119 Country Gent

Oct 12, 2014
    London
    If you read up on those TV Jones Classics they state that they are A direct replacement for Filtertrons, Which are Chets Version of country Twang, There is not much you can't do with them and you will get sounds ranging from Duane Eddy to Albert Lee and of coarse Chets Sound, The only Limiting Factor are the Limits you Create, So that means there is nothing you can't do with them and they sound terrific through a Blues Deluxe,

Have fun you have made a Good Choice.

8. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Stock, High Sensitive Filtertrons are fairly bright and twangy. TV Classics are not quite as bright, but offer a richer sound, IMHO. The new Brian Setzer Signature pickups are said to be brighter, but I've yet to play a set myself.

Chet used a Supertron in the neck position and a newer (for the time period of the seventies) open Filtertron in the bridge. This can easily be duplicated with. TV Jones Supertron in the neck and. TV Jones Classic+ in the bridge. I have this setup on my Country Gent and it sounds just like Chet's guitar. On a trestle-braced guitar, such as my G6122-1959 Gent, there's a lot of brilliance in the bridge pickup and it does Chik'n Pik'n just like a Tele. It's actually sort of funny to see, is big ol' 17" archtop sounding like Don Rich taking a solo on a Buck Owens hit.

There's also the dual sound pickup that TV recently released and this is said to have great definition and brilliance. I've yet to play these, but the descriptions I've read sound intriguing. I may try some of these on my 6120 DC soon.

9. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    I have TVJ Classics in my Falcon and HS Filtertrons in Panther ... for my taste the Classics are brighter.

But who cares ... I play both with pure nickel strings to tame the treble a bit and to get that vintage sound.

10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    FilterTrons - the humbucker with twang!

11. nord'ish

nord'ish Gretschie

Jul 5, 2014
    Minnesota
  12. GTR6119

GTR6119 Country Gent

Oct 12, 2014
    London
    They do seem to cover most things extremely well, I prefer the Gretsch Filtertrons for most thing and Dynas for serious Twang

13. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    When I had my Golden Annie 6120, it had TV Classics. During that time period, I was playing a LOT of country on it. Pete Anderson with Dwight Yoakam is a big influence for me. Using the bridge only and picking close to the bridge, that guitar twanged just as well as my tele. Even my current 6120 with Gretsch stock filters has an excellent twang. I'd say they are most definitely capable.

Twang IMO, is just as much about technique as it is the guitar, probably more so. Pick closer to the bridge, or directly over the bridge pup, use your fingers to really pop the GBE strings, and get that clucky percussive sound down, and you can do it on just about any guitar. One of my local mentors around here has a beat to hell 70s Goldtop LP, and he is about the twangiest sounding guitarist I've ever heard! Good luck!

14. jacodiego

jacodiego Gretschie

Mar 24, 2011
    california
    I have a set of TV Jones Classics in my Les Paul and it is a great country music guitar. Here are some sound samples in various country styles. This was recorded using my ZT Lunchbox with a Shure KSM27 mic: The Les Paul is strung with flat wound strings.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KokhOPyIzQg"]Les Paul with TV Jones Classic Filtertrons and Bigsby Sound Samples - YouTube[/ame]

15. Axeman

Axeman Gretschie

Apr 25, 2014
    Ottawa
    Thanks man, Duane Eddy to Albert Lee to Chet is the range I'm going for. My Jet Club comes with Gretsch Buckers instead of Filtertrons which I think are bigger than the Filtertron size. They are probably not as easy to change. I'm guessing the best thing to use is the English mounts with Gretsch rings?

16. Axeman

Axeman Gretschie

Apr 25, 2014
    Ottawa
    I've never really considered picking closer to the bridge or above the bridge pickup, great stuff. I'll definitely try this. Nice one!

Dude! What a sound! I'm amazed at the great sound you get out of a Les Paul. I'm guessing you're using a volume pedal, really compliments the sound.

17. Aymara

Aymara Friend of Fred

Jul 6, 2013
    Germany
    Sounds like slide guitar ... Hawaiian somehow for my untrained German ears ;)

18. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Same here...the Classics in my 5120 sound brighter to my ears than the HS filters in my 6121-1959...
    Fantastic sounds jacodiego!
    What is the song that starts at :57?
    I recognize it but can't place it...

19. jacodiego

jacodiego Gretschie

Mar 24, 2011
    california
    Speedicut, the song is You Don't Know Me, the Cindy Walker tune perhaps best known from Ray Charles on his Modern Sounds of Country Western Music.

Yeah, I was doing some swells with a volume pedal, Axeman, but I attribute the slide sounds more to the Bigsby (and maybe the string bending), Aymara.

20. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    One of my favorite songs.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.