TV Jones Brian Setzer pup height

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by michelb, Jan 8, 2021.

1. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    This has probably been discussed more then once. But I couldn't directly find an answer that worked for me, so here goes.

I'm having the issue that the recommended pup height is hard to get for some reason on my 5420, seems like the spring doesn't allow for it or something and the pups seems to tilt forward when I try to raise them that high. they also overtone a lot and can't get a clean sound out of them.

I lowered them to the recommendation of someone on the forum: Neck at 6mm and Bridge at 5mm.
    Which still didn't feel or sound stable. So I got them at Neck 7 mm and bridge 6.4mm. Now the pups feel stable in their mount and I get the sound that I like.

Is this a personal thing or am I way off?

T Bone, Marv666 and thunder58 like this.
  2. Derek Irving

Derek Irving Electromatic

Nov 8, 2015
    Santa Rosa, CA
    Tv Jones has recommended height in his website. I find with with 5420 cutting the mount springs shorter help a bit but can also put foam / small piece of sponge under pickup and mount bracket the use the two screws on ends of the pickups for a bit more tweeting the mounting bracket screws can only go so high. That being said if you’re getting the sound you need then keep them as they are.

Ps. The foam under pickup may help with any tilt

T Bone and michelb like this.
  3. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I use setzer pick ups in all my filter guitars. I start with them at the regular pick up height that TV Jones recommends on their site and give subtle adjustments from there.
    Sometimes putting a new piece of foam helps. Instead of the ones in there now that have been compressed. Also make sure that none of the wiring is getting in the way.
    But I agree if you are getting the sound you want now and you feel the pick ups are stable in the guitar then you got it.

T Bone, michelb and audept like this.
  4. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Aight thx for the input and the tips on tilt, never read anything about that issue, thought it was just me.

T Bone likes this.
  5. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Diagrams and measurements are fine. End of the day you have to trust your ears.

wabash slim, T Bone and michelb like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Maybe this helps , here's a link : https://tvjones.com/adjustments-and-schematics

Screen Shot 2021-01-12 at 6.30.27 AM.png

T Bone likes this.
  7. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    T Bone and thunder58 like this.
  8. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Muddy??? Somethin ain’t right.....

T Bone likes this.
  9. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Muddy might be the wrong term :p it overtones and can't get it to clean up.

T Bone likes this.
  10. Howitt

Howitt Electromatic

Oct 16, 2020
    Huntington Station, NY
    Sounds like the magnetic pull overtones that you're hearing, and they do suck! More often than not pickups sound much better further away than closer!

Howard

michelb likes this.
  11. mschafft

mschafft Synchromatic

Jan 19, 2017
    Switzerland
    It should perhaps be emphasized that any measurement of "pickup height", i.e. the disance between the bottom of the string and the top of the pole piece is measured with STRINGS DEPRESSED AT THE LAST FRET, otherwise pickups are too close and the subsequent magnetic pull alters tone and intonation.

12. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Tv’s spec is a starting point.... but wow I dot mine dead spec n I don’t get a magnetic pull that hi jacks tone... huh...

13. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    I do think it's subjective and getting the pickups as close as possible isn't always what I like. Yes, the tone is fatter and more 'in your face' but it lacks a little air, headroom and twang. You get more twonk than twang!

michelb likes this.
  14. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Ok ok. Are we talking bedroom warrior volume or competing with a rhythm section and PA....

15. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    If you’re going with mm’s you’ll want to try setting the bridge pickup 4mm from E strings and the neck pickup 5.5mm’s.

Basically the same height the stock pickups were in the 5420.

michelb likes this.
  16. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    Some context: I'm a slap bass player. So when I play guitar, it's mostly me on my own or jamming with a few ppl . It started out as a way to get more into the music theory of rockabilly and is ending up with me geeking out on Gretsch, amps, effects and getting a full rig together :p

So I wouldn't say I play at bedroom volume, cause I love the sound of loud guitars and the feel of air moving from the amp. But I don't have to compete with other artists when I play.

17. michelb

michelb Synchromatic

Mar 27, 2020
    Belgium
    I did take the measurements without depressing the strings :s That might've been the issue :p

mschafft likes this.
  18. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    When using TV Jones recommended heights you do NOT depress the strings.

19. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

Oct 4, 2018
    Madrid, Spain, EU
    Regarding to Filtetron, we cannot talk about magnetic pull. Those are just screws, no magnets...

If we talk Dynasonics it is completely different. Those are real magnets

slickfaster likes this.
  20. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Maybe the SS are a little mid hot for your ears...possibly the Classics or Butts would be worth checking out... member here says two neck position Classics are the ticket.
    Amp settings are huge in effect but I’m sure your noodling... my SS are going through a pretty clean/mid hump 6g6b circuit and V30’s. Raising my filters created welcomed growl and sensitivity. Not Sure but I believe TV has a return policy for disappointed customers..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.