Join Gretsch-Talk Today

TV Classic vs. Setzer Signature Question

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by YourBlueRoom, Jul 14, 2017.

1. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    While I agree with this, and I too am more of a rock/blues guy, I preferred the Powertron in the bridge over all others. But I got so tired of swapping pickups in the Hot Rod, I just left the SS set in... it's not my main guitar anyway, it doesn't get gigged. It's just for playing 'billy and such on at home... if it were a main/gigging guitar, it would a Ptron bridge.

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Country Gent

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    How much wax comes out if you take a hairdryer to a pickup? Is it hard to do?

3. YourBlueRoom

YourBlueRoom Electromatic

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I've only tried it one time so others can probably speak more to the hairdryer method than I can. In my experience it was not difficult but it was messy. Most of the wax will just drip out but some of it can splash around as you're blowing air on it. Also in holding the pickup at different angles to try and get at all of the wax the TV sticker on the bottom ended up coming off and the black ribbon wrapped around the pickup lead came loose. I'd say there was 2 tablespoons of wax that came out, give or take.

4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. YourBlueRoom

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    I've finalized my order with TV Jones for two unpotted neck Classics.

You may have already commented on this in another thread but how are you setting up the two neck pickups in terms of height? Have you been able to dial them in so the volume is balanced between the two? I would still hope I can get a slight increase in output in the bridge position.

I've also decided I'm going to modify the wiring by disabling the mud switch and replacing the two independent volume controls with independent no-load tone controls. I have never and will never use the independent volume controls but I would like to be able to roll a bit of high end off the bridge pickup from time to time without it affecting the neck pickup. But I'd like a tone control for the neck pickup too so I can dial in a good jazz tone if needed. Plus the no-load tone pots would essentially give me hot rod wiring when they're both on 10. I'll probably add a bright cap to the master volume as well.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    ZackyDog likes this.
  6. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    You guys should remember that those guitars are made to be played with and to cut thru a band. You're in need of other frequencies on a stage compared to your living room.

7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Congrats. I bet it will sound great (!)

Here's a good guideline for the set up:

[​IMG]

As far as getting more output from the bridge pickup: maybe reduce the neck pickup volume slightly? Bear in mind, that this will affect the combined pickup sound.

As far as using pickup height/distance from the strings to vary the output: the Filtertron is very sensitive to adjustments. I wouldn't want to deviate from the diagram (above); it's really optimal for getting the best sound.

8. Srellim1

Srellim1 Gretschie

Feb 6, 2016
    Los Angeles
    I have Setzers in my 6120 and a Classic/ Classic + combo in my Falcon. In my little world the Falcon is the best sounding thing that I've ever heard. I like a lot of cleanish breakup and dirty breakup though. The combo is super touch sensitive super dynamic and to me, it's just, the deal man...
    The Setzers are great and provide nice a sonic alternative. There is something harsh going on in there that I am not in love with though that lends itself to more strident gain. They sound much better better in a band situation than at home (as someone had mentioned above. I also may have them set up a little bit too hot.

9. dddn

dddn Electromatic

Jan 25, 2013
    Brooklyn NY
    Not sure if I should be posting here, but just wondering if anyone has thoughts about installing a TV Jones TArmond in the neck position and a Powertron Plus at the bridge on my MIM Cabronita? I like the tone of the single coil with the meatiness of the Powertron. Wondering mostly about the tone when both pups are engaged. Would love to hear from anyone who has that or a similar configuration on a guitar.

10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Gonna have to get custom cut saddles for your two "neck" pickups because those strings are not gonna line up across the pole screws at the Bridge. You can also request the bridge "height" pickup cover even though you are requesting two neck pickups.

11. YourBlueRoom

Jan 25, 2017
    Nashville, TN
    Yeah I debated on whether or not to get the taller bridge cover but decided to get both with the standard neck cover in case I ever decide to sell it or put it in the neck position of another guitar. Of course now I have the challenge of finding a way to raise the pickup ring in a discreet way. Or I can just live with the gap between pickup and guitar (fooling myself bc I'm obsessive and I can't). Know of any ring risers that would work? I was told the EM2 mount risers will not work. I may just get another standard gretsch ring and sand down the surface so its flat and then stack the two rings.

I understand in theory why the strings should line up with the poles but does it make that big of a difference in the sound? "If" we use an original 59 6120 as the benchmark then wouldn't the misalignment between strings and poles be more vintage correct?