Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Turning 2 guitars into 1?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by not_man_davo, Mar 20, 2017.

1. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I have desperately wanted (even coveted) a very specific White Falcon for years and extra years now. Unfortunately for me, Gretsch now makes that exact model, and I NEED it. it's the G6136-55GE and if it was legal for a man to marry I guitar, I would be talking it through with an asset manager right now. it's that bad.

Question is this, IS two birds in the hand (in this case my 6120EC and my lovely Ric 360-12) worth more than the one in the bush. that one in this case, being a Falcon with all the trimmings i want. Dynas, vertical headstock, carved inlays and a caddy. I'd have to sell the two i have that i love the most (which i SWORE I'd never do) to wind up with the one I think i'm desperate to have. would y'all do it?

2. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

No. When the new wore off, you'd miss the others.

Keep your guitars, and start saving. Even if it takes a year or two, what's the rush? You've got two cool guitars and if you're patient you could have three. You know as well as I do any one guitar is never gonna the be all end all. Remember? You SWORE you'd never sell the others....... ;)

JimmyB1982, DrumBob, LongJohn and 2 others like this.
  3. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    I had considered doing just that, but I'm pondering a move to a much smaller place in the next year or so I'd likely downsize and sell a couple of guitars then regardless. that said, these two would not be the likely candidates to go. I don't need 2 big hollowbodies, so the EC would be covered by the Falcon, but the Ric is...well, it's a Ric so nothing covers that territoty. roblem there is, I never play the darn thing. I stare at it every day because it's a magnificent thing o' beauty, but I don't grab it and play it nearly as much as I should.

I totally see what you're sayin though. two amaaaaazing guitars are a darn fine substitute for one equally amazing guitar. things to consider...

PS. i NEVER whoulda thought YOU would be the voice of reason BTW. :D

TSims1 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    If I couldn't just wait and save up. I guess I'd be quicker to part with the EC model and keep the ric and save for the rest.

not_man_davo, Gretschman2 and TSims1 like this.
  6. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Lol. I have a stable of guitars that do not get rotated or swapped out because they are perfect examples of what they are.

You're right about the two hollowbodies. Do what Lizardkinged said.

not_man_davo likes this.
  7. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Bremerton, WA
    +1

not_man_davo likes this.
  8. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I'm sitting on 12 guitars right now and am having trouble deciding which to part from.

9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Country Gent

Oct 18, 2015
    Hildesheim, Germany
    I can perfectly understand you, Not-Man-Davo.
    I regretted every sale of my guitars.
    But if this is "the one", if you tried it in person, fell in love with it, than say goodbye to the rest and buy it.
    If you will have to downsize anyway: This is a good opportunity.

not_man_davo likes this.
  10. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Go with your heart. Your head is frequently unreliable and will over-analyze the situation.

not_man_davo likes this.
  11. GuitarJunkie

GuitarJunkie Gretschie

Feb 22, 2016
    Georgia
    I'm thinking about selling a couple myself and get something else, maybe even one from my bucket list. All of my guitars are special for their own reasons but I've decided they are just guitars and the more I keep adding to the pile the less some of them get played. I've decided that, for me, I will take existing investments and turn them into something different and pass some good ones on to someone else who will enjoy them as I have. It's a personal decision that we have to do for personal reason with our own priorities in consideration.

not_man_davo likes this.
  12. LongJohn

LongJohn Gretschie

Apr 22, 2016
    Queens, NY
    Put a new set of strings on the Ric and polish it up, if that doesn't move you to play more 12 string you'll know how many guitars to sell.

not_man_davo likes this.
  13. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Gretschie

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    If you "never play the Ric" as you say, why keep it around?
    Move the things on that you don't play.

not_man_davo likes this.
  14. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Do it. Sounds like the falcon would duplicate the EC amd.you never play the ric.

not_man_davo likes this.
  15. Ati EDGE

Ati EDGE Electromatic

May 23, 2013
    Budapest, Hungary
    If you think the Falcon is THE guitar what you need then just sell the other 2. You will regret it if you don't do it now.

not_man_davo likes this.
  16. englishman

englishman Friend of Fred

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Sometimes the desire is preferable to the reality.

In your position, I wouldn't do it but then again I don't care for the Falcons :)

[​IMG]

not_man_davo likes this.
  17. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    Very good advice. You will especially regret selling the Rick 12. Nothing else can do what that guitar does.

not_man_davo likes this.
  18. David_D

David_D Gretschie

Oct 14, 2015
    New Jersey
    Sell the Rick. It's a one-trick-pony. I sold mine after owning it for 15 years...bought a 6128T-62 and never looked back. The Rick is a nice-to-have guitar, but if it's more a closet queen then a player then sell it.

not_man_davo and Henry like this.
  19. not_man_davo

not_man_davo Gretschie

Feb 13, 2015
    tejas
    Yup, that's the one. The object of my desire. I know it's a love it or hate it guitar for sure, and I just LOVE it. That said, I love my EC too, and i love to stare at the Ric. I just can't really play it that well anymore. I was stabbed through my left hand when I was younger and I'm finding that it is beginning to cause problems as I age. Just another small component in the decision making process. Finding a neck that I can play for more than a few minutes is becoming more and more difficult.

Hopefully I can find the Falcon of my dreams somewhere locally so I can try it out and figure out if I like it as much as my EC. I'd be super bummed if i let these two go and it turned out i didnt like the falcon.

20. afire

afire Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Sell them and get the Falcon. No sense in keeping what you don't need or use, particularly when it's inhibiting your ability to get what you really do want. I can't imagine missing a Rickenbacker 12 myself, but there are tons of used ones available at any given moment if you find you miss looking at it too much.

21. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    To the OP: Do you see what happens when you come here and ask people what to do? You get twenty five different answers and may get more confused than you were before. The only person who has to be happy here is you in the long run.

Do yourself a big favor: Go play the guitar, then make your own decisions based on your gut feelings. None of us can really tell you what to do.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2017