Tuner color suggestion

rschultz

Electromatic
May 11, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Hi,

I have a 5622 center block. The pickup rings and pick guard is gold, but the rest of the hardware is nickel. I want to upgrade the tuners... I hate the tiny knobs. They are 16:1, so they seem good in that regard. But while I'm at it I was wondering about 18:1 and/or gold. Probably go the Gotoh route. I like Schaller style knobs the best, although the Gotoh 510 midsized ones look nice too. Just not sure if gold would look right or if I should stick with Nickel/chrome.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2508300592_gre_ins_frt_01_rr.png

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
If you're otherwise happy with the tuners, you could just replace the buttons. Does your 5622 have Grovers? If so, Hipshot buttons will fit. They have a huge selection in different styles. I'm a big fan of the Imperial buttons. (Hipshot calls them "Deco.")

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/guitar-tuner-buttons

If it were me, I'd stay with nickel tuners to match the rest of the hardware, but you should go with whatever look you like the most.

rschultz

Electromatic
May 11, 2015
Knoxville, TN
Yeah I also wonder if I got the gold if it would clash with the darker antique type gold of the pick guard and cover plates. Probably best to stay with nickel.

Any thoughts on 16:1 vs 18:1? Both my acoustics are 18:1, but both my electrics are 16:1. Not sure how important that is.

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
The higher gear ratio makes tuning a bit less of a chore, but it's a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have. All of my guitars have 18:1 tuners, so I can't offer a comparison to the 16:1s, except to say that an 18:1 tuner will take an extra 1/8 of a turn to achieve the same change in pitch that a 16:1 would achieve in a full rotation. I'd guess that the difference would be subtle.

Last edited:

G5422T

Country Gent
May 24, 2012
usa
Yeah I also wonder if I got the gold if it would clash with the darker antique type gold of the pick guard and cover plates. Probably best to stay with nickel.

Any thoughts on 16:1 vs 18:1? Both my acoustics are 18:1, but both my electrics are 16:1. Not sure how important that is.

Nickel.

As far as tuners ratios, not as important as the quality of the tuner IMO.

Then the most important thing is proper stringing.

Last edited:

coolrene

Electromatic
Apr 17, 2021
France
upload_2019-2-21_19-49-30-png.586538
My suggestion is Hipshot open tuners with large chrome buttons (they offer a wide choice of size & colors) very precise, smooth and looking great !

Jeff67

Country Gent
Nov 3, 2019
Crockett, Texas
Nickel. I don't usually like mixing gold and chrome/ nickel, but they got the balance right, at least to my eyes. Gold tuners would throw the balance off.

section2

Country Gent
Dec 21, 2016
Toronto
yeah those look cool, but the screw is in the center. I need it offset like the Gotoh Z models.

Hipshots come with universal mounting plates that allow you to mount them without screws, so you don't need to worry about lining up the mounting holes.

I have Hipshots on three of my guitars, and they're fantastic. Here's a pic of my 5620 with the Hipshot plates. There are two plates under each set of three tuners. You can see a bit of overlap where the plates meet, but it doesn't bother me—nobody looks at the back of the headstock anyway.

20210929_094920.jpg

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
The pickup surrounds seem off - I guess their matching the pick guard. But to answer the question, nickel.

swivel

Country Gent
May 13, 2018
PNW
I put inexpensive Gotoh's (~$39) on a Tele type to replace the stock tuners. I don't like these tuners at all. They seem very cheap and inconsistent tuner to tuner. I bought them because they fit the screw pattern that existed. The original Chinese tuners the guitar had were just as good.
Just throwing that out for you to consider.

HypotenusLuvTriangle

Country Gent
Oct 27, 2010
Whittier, Ca
If you're otherwise happy with the tuners, you could just replace the buttons. Does your 5622 have Grovers? If so, Hipshot buttons will fit. They have a huge selection in different styles. I'm a big fan of the Imperial buttons. (Hipshot calls them "Deco.")

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/guitar-tuner-buttons

If it were me, I'd stay with nickel tuners to match the rest of the hardware, but you should go with whatever look you like the most.

I second Hipshot. Fantastic stuff.

Latest posts