Tuner color suggestion

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rschultz, Sep 24, 2021.

1. rschultz

rschultz Electromatic

May 11, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Hi,

I have a 5622 center block. The pickup rings and pick guard is gold, but the rest of the hardware is nickel. I want to upgrade the tuners... I hate the tiny knobs. They are 16:1, so they seem good in that regard. But while I'm at it I was wondering about 18:1 and/or gold. Probably go the Gotoh route. I like Schaller style knobs the best, although the Gotoh 510 midsized ones look nice too. Just not sure if gold would look right or if I should stick with Nickel/chrome.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

[​IMG]

GlenP likes this.
  2. ampe

ampe Country Gent

May 11, 2011
    belgium
    I would keep it consistent with the rest of the hardware, so either nickel or change at least the end piece to gold as well.

Marv666, rschultz and Archtops like this.
  3. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    If you're otherwise happy with the tuners, you could just replace the buttons. Does your 5622 have Grovers? If so, Hipshot buttons will fit. They have a huge selection in different styles. I'm a big fan of the Imperial buttons. (Hipshot calls them "Deco.")

https://hipshotproducts.com/products/guitar-tuner-buttons

If it were me, I'd stay with nickel tuners to match the rest of the hardware, but you should go with whatever look you like the most.

4. rschultz

rschultz Electromatic

May 11, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah I also wonder if I got the gold if it would clash with the darker antique type gold of the pick guard and cover plates. Probably best to stay with nickel.

Any thoughts on 16:1 vs 18:1? Both my acoustics are 18:1, but both my electrics are 16:1. Not sure how important that is.

5. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    The higher gear ratio makes tuning a bit less of a chore, but it's a nice-to-have, not a need-to-have. All of my guitars have 18:1 tuners, so I can't offer a comparison to the 16:1s, except to say that an 18:1 tuner will take an extra 1/8 of a turn to achieve the same change in pitch that a 16:1 would achieve in a full rotation. I'd guess that the difference would be subtle.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2021
    rschultz and Archtops like this.
  6. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Nickel.

As far as tuners ratios, not as important as the quality of the tuner IMO.

Then the most important thing is proper stringing.

7. rschultz

rschultz Electromatic

May 11, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    There are some Gotoh 21:1 in antique gold on reverb for $110… that’s like 1/2 price.

8. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    It'd be easier, and cheaper, to redo the pickguard and pickup surrounds.
    Never liked mixing silver and gold hardware myself. Gold wears away too fast.

Shock and rschultz like this.
  9. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Stay with the nickel. I think it will look better than mixing the hardware. IMHO

Shock and rschultz like this.
  10. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

I would also stay with nickel and don't think the tuning ratio really matters.

Archtops and rschultz like this.
  11. Mark W

Mark W Country Gent

Jun 6, 2008
    Central Florida
    Another vote for staying nickel.

Archtops and rschultz like this.
  12. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    nickel

Archtops likes this.
  13. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    Unless it is a Setzer. The exception that proves the rule. Even on the Setzer it looks off, but that is the idea. It makes it look like a 65 Chevy on a 55 frame.

Archtops likes this.
  14. coolrene

coolrene Electromatic

Apr 17, 2021
    France
    [​IMG] My suggestion is Hipshot open tuners with large chrome buttons (they offer a wide choice of size & colors) very precise, smooth and looking great !

15. rschultz

rschultz Electromatic

May 11, 2015
    Knoxville, TN
    yeah those look cool, but the screw is in the center. I need it offset like the Gotoh Z models.

16. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Nickel. I don't usually like mixing gold and chrome/ nickel, but they got the balance right, at least to my eyes. Gold tuners would throw the balance off.

17. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Hipshots come with universal mounting plates that allow you to mount them without screws, so you don't need to worry about lining up the mounting holes.

I have Hipshots on three of my guitars, and they're fantastic. Here's a pic of my 5620 with the Hipshot plates. There are two plates under each set of three tuners. You can see a bit of overlap where the plates meet, but it doesn't bother me—nobody looks at the back of the headstock anyway.

20210929_094920.jpg

18. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    The pickup surrounds seem off - I guess their matching the pick guard. But to answer the question, nickel.

19. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I put inexpensive Gotoh's (~$39) on a Tele type to replace the stock tuners. I don't like these tuners at all. They seem very cheap and inconsistent tuner to tuner. I bought them because they fit the screw pattern that existed. The original Chinese tuners the guitar had were just as good.
    Just throwing that out for you to consider.

20. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca

I second Hipshot. Fantastic stuff.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.