Tubes, something magical

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Bertotti, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I’ve got a thing for small amps. JSX mini, Nocturne Baby Blondeshell, Vox Gen1 Nighttrain, Pignose 7-100, had one of those 99$ Epiphone tube amps, did some mods, better iron, some cap changes and it was a great sounding amp, all in around 150$ counting the amp. But now the smallest Winfield has my attention. I thought it was just the EL84 tubes I really liked but maybe it has more to do with the size and dynamics of small tube amps designed well, or more likely a bit of both. Doesn’t mean I don’t like big amps also but I am certainly drawn to the under 15 watt side. I tend to use my TX half stack for the incredible loud cleans it can give.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2020
    Waxhead and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  2. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    With something like the PS2/PS100 available, I think I'd be hard pressed not to use one of the smaller single ended amps if/when I ever have an actual need for more volume than a 5-10 watter puts out again.

Waxhead and Bertotti like this.
  3. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Exactly!
    IMG_1860.jpg

4. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    I'm actually fighting the GAS for the 100 after discovering how great the PS2 works for me as a bass power amp too :) :
    [​IMG]
    50 tube watts has had me covered surprisingly well for volume most of the time w/ a fairly loud 3 piece, but it's definitely pushing it w/ a couple guitars &/or keys if everyone isn't good w/ dynamics & frequency slices.

TubeLife and Waxhead like this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I'm glad you guys (Sid and Bertotti) like the Fryette Power Station after having recommended it to you :D

It really is a game changer imo.
    Makes both small and large watt amps viable for almost any situation plus greatly improves sound quality of SS amps and modelers. I use it to both tame my Mesa amps and re-amp the babies o_O

[​IMG]

6. jageya

jageya Electromatic

Oct 30, 2013
    DENVER

LOOKS LIKE A COOL way to go

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Here is a reply to some comments on the from someone from Fryette. The whole reply is on the first or second page.

“We had much more feedback about:

1) “Transparency” A reactive load can’t be or can’t not be transparent, but the power amp must be. It is transparent in the PS-2, until you hit maximum power output. Then you get compression. Players used to 100W (or any high dynamic) amp feel, or play with louder bass player/drummer miss that. A 100W PS maintains that feel and transparency at higher volume.

2) Effects. The loop goes away in Bypass mode, as it must, because it’s after your amp. With 2 settings, you get to have one set like virtual bypass while retaining loop operation.

3) LPF. A lot of users wanted it out or didn’t see the benefit. Many more requested variable line out.

I can’t say I have noticed it but I’m not blasting my playing. Not usually and when I do I’m lot concerned about dynamics just loud noise! Hahahahaha, I like to goof off at times. I do get a bit of noise but my longer cable was next to my speaker cable. I haven’t tried the ps2, had one backordered three times and finally cancelled the order to jump on the ps100 warehouse resealed because someone returned it. I can’t prove it but I think it was returned twice. But it sounds great works great and was discounted because it was returned so it was a win win! The Baby can really get loud through this.

Sid Nitzerglobin and Waxhead like this.
  8. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I think Fryette has designed a preamp for this system. Sorry I haven't listened to all of it yet. I won’t till later.

Sid Nitzerglobin likes this.
  9. TubeLife

TubeLife Gretschie

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Love mine!! I use it to tame my amps and as a load for recording. But y’all got me craving a low wattage amp now, just to magnify into a 50 watt beast!! :D
    1DE591CF-1836-4903-9616-B71222F97A21.jpeg

10. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yep it is the synergy preamp of the Fryette Deliverance.
    fryette Deliverence Synergy Pre

It me a bit to get back to this the basement was getting sewage, our own backed up a floor drain and out on the floor so I had to work quick. Crisis averted! Much more fun talking about these small amps tubes and such!

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I know Fryette designed these to be very neutral sounding so it won’t color the amp bit I sure wish they had some kind of knob to let me cause it to move out of neutral and into some power tube distortion if only a little bit.

Have you guys tried playing your guitar into a pedal then to the Fryette without an amp? I haven’t but think I’ll try it with the JR Barnyard.

12. Sid Nitzerglobin

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    On the bass side yeah. I can get some decent compression/saturation going hitting it w/ a good bit of output from the board into the line in once I get it up past ~12:30-1 on the volume. It's pretty darn loud at that point, like too much for my little Eden EX112 cab which IIRC is supposed to be rated at 250watts, no problem w/ the other cabs though.

Will likely try a setup using the Orange Terror Stamp on a board for guitar going into it. It was sounding surprisingly nice using them that way for bass anyway. Imagine Micro Dark pre w/ a clean 50W tube power section...

Waxhead and Bertotti like this.
  13. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I haven’t tried a tone master amp but I’ll say this about tube amps. There is a moment when the amp is hot and you are pushing it as hard as you can that something happens. Something that’s magical. I’m not sure if the tubes are straining or burning hotter than the are intended to burn but it’s musical and magical

Telechamp, Waxhead, Stefan and 2 others like this.
  14. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    ...the moment when the fried eggs are done!

nickurso and Bertotti like this.
  15. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Eggsactly

Bertotti and Stefan like this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I done more looking. Looks cool but you still pay some good cash. That syn1 Is a preamp module dock and on their site I don’t know if it comes with a preamp module of any type or not if not you spend 500 for a dock then need a pre amp for 400$ that is still quite the cost. Not saying I wouldn’t be interested if I had the cash because I would be but it is not an inexpensive path and I have no idea just what they sound like in person Or their reliability. I can guess their reliability and sound are good since they have a fair few big names working with them. Sure would like to here them somewhere other than YouTube.

Waxhead likes this.
  17. jageya

jageya Electromatic

Oct 30, 2013
    DENVER
    I agree its not cheap at all. could be versatile if you know what you need tone wise 110% cause i am sure resale on them is crap. Too rich for me but if i was touring it would be cool - the rev20 or pt15 amps are also cool but$ 1200=3k.

Bertotti likes this.
  18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes I've tried it and ..... very transparent - you'll find out exactly how your pedal is voiced :D

Bertotti likes this.
  19. jageya

jageya Electromatic

Oct 30, 2013
    DENVER
    the fender gtx100 model amps are getting alot of hype lately saying they are amazing tubelike amps.Anyone try one? same with the tonemaster deluxe and twin amps.

20. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I've heard a lot of good things about the Tonemaster.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.