Tubes, something magical

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Bertotti, Jul 2, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Look at the Vox VT50gtr it uses a new tube 50 watts. Looks promising but I haven't heard one in person.

Oh and a bit of @TV the Wired Turtle 's cork sniffery I did put a good gold lion 12ax7 in the hybrids and it did make a bit of a difference. Not sure it was enough to justify the cost so they both have the original 12ax7's in them so I can put the Gold lions in my little 5-15 watt amps. Some experimenting to do.

pmac11 likes this.
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    @pmac11 sorry I think I meant VX series. But it isn't going to replace you Mesa!

pmac11 likes this.
  3. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    You asked for it, you got it— something magical from The Tubes.....

SAguitar, GlenP, MotorCentaur and 2 others like this.
  4. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I keep my Quilter around still!

capnhiho, lp_bruce and Bertotti like this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I'm not commenting on the Tone Masters here - said my piece already - enuf said :D

I do have a Vox MV50 AC which is not solid state modeling technology - it's Nu-tube.
    The little 10" cab Vox matched with the MV50 AC (and the Beetle) is a crap chinese speaker imo that did no favours to their new Nu-tube products. A poor decision by Vox imo

I run my MV50 AC thru a 1x12 or 2x12 closed cab with a Celestion V30 and Alnico Creams.
    I also re-amp it through a tube driven Fryette Power Station.

Played thru comparable and correct speakers for Vox it sounds very close to a Vox AC15 imo but with lot's more headroom, 35w more power and it weighs 1 pound - 44 pounds less weight and $1000 less money (in Australia) than an AC15.

The guy in this video runs both MV50 AC and AC30 thru the AC30s Celestion alnico speakers.
    He says it's very close to an AC30 - I don't know about that and doubt it myself but..... with my set-up using correct speakers for Vox chime I do think it's very close to an AC15 and...... better than an AC10.

I think it's better than an AC10 cos Vox again uses the non alnico chinese speaker and therefore the AC10 doesn't have Vox chime. With Vox choice of speaker is as important as the base amp.

English guy in the video made 3 of them - here's 2.
    I don't take much notice of youtube tone comparisons - I'm more interested in the guys opinion and my own real life testing.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

So having said all that the Vox MV50 AC is a good little back-up and practice head for me that cost US$200.
    Even if it's better than an AC10, and the equal of an AC15, I have no desire to buy more Vox tube amps.
    I still much prefer my Mesa Boogie amps for many reasons.
    I'll always have tube amps - old or new and SS amps also have their place :)

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have heard that one, I don't mean the vid, I mean the amp, and was not pleased with it. Maybe the speaker they used because to me it was harsh, lacking some of the things I like in an amp. Speakers really can make or break an amp.

7. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    There’s something magic happening when the electromagnetic string vibration flows into glowing bottles. All those little things inside a tube amp, the behaviour of tubes and even all their imperfections are part of their Mojo.

Meanwhile you can get low wattage class A tube amps with great tones for really small money. My Laney Cub8 is a fantastic little amp that’s pretty solid built. Boutique Champ tone (with good tubes and a different speaker) for next to nothing.

Tube tone is the benchmark. Imitation‘s boring.

Waxhead likes this.
  8. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    I’ve played tube amps for a lot of years and I jumped on the Tone Master Deluxe as soon as I could due to the weight and the desire to stop messing with tubes. I’m a fan big time. They fill a room as easily as my 68 CDR does. I used my TM Deluxe at my Band’s first rehearsal in 3 months the other night and the rest of Band were blown away at how big and good it sounded.

9. sleeperNY

sleeperNY Gretschie

Jun 18, 2008
    central NY
    I have a few great tube amps here and a Tonemaster Twin. I gig the Tonemaster and the tub amps stay home. If I was a bit younger I would still gig the Tonemaster. Cuts through great and sounds as good as a tub amp.

Jim

Gretschmen65, hcsterg and Trash Kidd like this.
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah speakers are the critical factor with anything Vox imo :)

11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Yes, these companies shoot themselves in the foot with the cheap crappy cabs they pair with their little heads and put in their combos. My triple xxx combo and 4x12 are the only stock speakers I have actually liked. The JSX mini colossal has a terrible little 8" in it. I have had a few recommendations for replacement 8s but I dislike it so much I'll probably build a new cab for it and put in a 12. That was one of the things that has me so stoked over little amp heads. I can match it to the speakers I want. The Nighttrain is incredible with the 2x12 silverbell and bluedog! I am a bit of a speaker junkie. If I had the cash there would be so many speaker cabs around my house all loaded with different flavors!

Waxhead and Ricochet like this.
  12. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    I'll have to check this myself... ;)

A+!

13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I wish the guy would have used a more standard guitar like a Telly, Strat, Les Paul, etc. It's hard to judge amps when you are using distortion boxes and other pedals. Also the AC 30 he was using had the sound of the recent reissues that I don't care for. I personally don't like the sound of either of the amps used in the video. I have an original 65 AC 30 and a 1998 British made AC 15 and they both sound better than what I'm hearing on those videos. My 90s AC 30 reissue did not sound like my 65 AC 30. Though it sounded good clean it did not have the same type of break up that the 65 did.

14. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah totally agree on the re-issues v vintage Vox - they sound quite different.

Video man was using an AC30 re-issue and was specifically comparing Brian May gain tones.
    Brian used a treble booster and his red special guitar played with a sixpense pick.
    That's reasonable imo except that Brian used vintage Vox AC30s :)

Gretschtim1 likes this.
  15. Stefan

Stefan Country Gent

Jan 20, 2016
    Germany
    There’s even a special kind of magic happening in those 5-watt tube amps. Champs and their brethren are the most dynamic and responsive amps. I love them, especially because you‘ll get rid of those farty basses if you swap to the fantastic Warehouse G8C!
    Julian Lage specified the love for small tube amps in an interview:

“My dream setup is really just an electric guitar—a Telecaster, or this wonderful Gretsch Duo Jet—through a low-wattage amp, like an old Fender tweed or the 1950s Gibson BR-6 I used on Love Hurts,” Lage explains. “The way that those amps work is that they really highlight every change in touch, so I feel like I’ve got a strong connection between how I’m touching the guitar and what’s coming through the speaker. If I dig in, it’s grittier; if I don’t, it’s more pristine. Now live, if I find myself having to play more powerful backline amps, I’m using pedals to make it respond and sound like a small amp. But if there’s a way I can get the same effect through touch, I’ll do it that way, because that is how I learn.”

TSims1 and Sid Nitzerglobin like this.
  16. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Way back in the ‘70s, a friend told me that small amps were the way to go. IMO, amps sound best when they are exerting themselves to some degree. Truly, even a 22 watt amp, such as a Deluxe Reverb, is pretty powerful. Down around 5 watts, you end up with something just about right as long as your drummer isn’t too loud.

I am planning to replace the Winfield Typhoon I used to have. It was a 5 watt, single ended amp with an EF-86 up front, a 6AT6 and an EL 84 power section. Mic’d through a PA it sounded huge.

17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Simple preamp w/ a single ended, single tube power section & a nice OT & speaker & it's touch & tone heaven for me so far.

Stefan and Waxhead like this.
  18. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The hardest thing I had to learn was how to work the guitar volume knob. The Vox Nightrain,7/15 water was quite nice and the JSK mini colossal you have to work that knob it even has a load built in but doggone as small as it is it was still way to loud! @TV the Wired Turtle’s BabyBlondeshell is similarly responsive and great sounding. Much lighter than the other two as well. But at that size none of them are overly heavy. But yea working the guitar tone and volume was a bit of a learning curve for me.

Trash Kidd, Waxhead and lp_bruce like this.
  19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    What I find amazing is that I prefer the single knob tone control found in many small amps.

20. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    Quilter has certainly been one of the makers that have got it right in my limited experience.

On the hybrid thing, in addition to the NuTube Voxen (which seem very tubey in their response to me), it's all over the place in the world of bass amps. Just got one of these on the way to me today actually:

it's supposedly pretty faithful in the preamp to the AD200B Mk III w/ a tube driven FX loop & DI & a 500W class D power amp. Like 12 pounds for the Terror vs. 58 for an the AD200 & should run a bit cooler as well. I suspect the best hybrid for me (for guitar or bass) would be a class AB solid state power section w/ the tube preamp & it weighing something like 20-25 lbs @ 500W, but I have high hopes for the Terror Bass regardless :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.