Truss Adjustment Limited?

SonOfPyro

Sep 24, 2022
Colorado
Hi All,

I have been reading posts and there is a lot of great input here, great forums!

I bought a g5420t about 6 months ago and have been fiddling with the setup ever since. After trying several sets of strings in different gauges as I often do with a new guitar to find what is comfortable for me and my guitar, it seems like I may have an issue.

I am finding that with my truss adjustment all of the way loose/ off the threads, am pretty much straight with 11 gauge strings - occasionally/ possibly barely any relief which at times is OK, but I am missing having that buffer in adjustment range. I am thinking of throwing some 12 gauge strings on there to see if they will provide some more tension, but I am a bit disappointed that I don't have enough adjustment range with 11's to account for maybe humidity/seasonal changes, or in general having less control over the adjustment range I wish I had. With 10's I am barely riding between backbow and dead straight. As you can imagine, this is giving me headaches, especially in the upper fret range action. As mentioned, 12's might help a bit? but I enjoy playing 11's or 10's sometimes if I feel like digging into bends and stuff for a spell.

Any thoughts on what might be wrong? (including what might be wrong with me or my assessment/ assumptions)

Thanks!

radd

Friend of Fred
Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
I will assume you are turning the truss rod the proper direction.

Is the 5420 new and under warranty? If you turned the truss rod the proper direction and the guitar still has no relief and the guitar is under warranty I would recommend you take/send it back. If you bought it used I suspect you are going to need to visit a very competent repair person and see if there is anything they can do to eliminate the back bow. It would be beyond my skill set.

good luck

Oh ya, welcome

Gregor

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 17, 2018
New Brunswick, Canada
I am finding that with my truss adjustment all of the way loose/ off the threads, am pretty much straight with 11 gauge strings - occasionally/ possibly barely any relief which at times is OK, but I am missing having that buffer in adjustment range
I may be missing something here but I thought 🤔 that you get relief by tightening the truss rod(righty tightly... lefty loosey) not loosening it. You're looking for more relief with the strings on right?

loudnlousy

Gretschified
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 18, 2015
Germany
If the neck has a backbow with loosened trussrod it would be a defect.The looser the trusrod the more the strings should move away from the fretboard.
Maybe you should tighten the trussrod a bit to check wether the neck will straighten, first.

If this should not work yoou should consult a competent luthier.
One of my guitars had a backbow and my guitar-repair-man was able to straighten is completely.
I remember that it was not even expensive to heal that.

Ricochet

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 13, 2009
Monkey Island
Welcome to Gretsch-Talk! If the guitar is new, take it back.

Now I don't recommend you do the following at all. In fact you didn't even read it here. But sometimes you can help the trussrod by bending the neck by hand...
Just support the ends of the neck on your knees and put a bit of weight in the middle with your hand or forearm. My theory is the trussrod can get hampered in its function by friction in the trussrod channel and get stuck. Just go easy, you're just looking for the 1 or 2mm.

Latest posts