Tru-arc bridge tuning stability and some other questions

Ohthis

Electromatic
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
Hi all, does any of you know what I can do about the g string going out of tune after a single use of the bigsby? It often becomes sharp when using the bigsby. This happens almost instantly.

I'm not used to using bigsby's and I was also wondering if anyone else uses alternate tunings successfully in combination with a bigsby and tru-arc bridge. The strings are still the ones from the factory.

Is the standard string gauge for a white falcon 0.11? Does it matter when going to a different gauge, or do things need to be set up just for another gauge?

mister rain

Synchromatic
Apr 23, 2020
new orleans
Is the standard string gauge for a white falcon 0.11? Does it matter when going to a different gauge, or do things need to be set up just for another gauge?
1. don’t know.

2. every time you change string gauges you’ll change intonation. might just be a smidge, but it’ll be a thing.

as to open tunings and bar bridges? doubt you’ll get perfect intonation there - but. but but but. email tim (tru-arc). he’s a fantastic fellow, he’ll certainly know more than i do about that. (keep in mind he’s extra busy these days, it’ll take him time to respond.)

Ohthis

Electromatic
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
1. don’t know.

2. every time you change string gauges you’ll change intonation. might just be a smidge, but it’ll be a thing.

as to open tunings and bar bridges? doubt you’ll get perfect intonation there - but. but but but. email tim (tru-arc). he’s a fantastic fellow, he’ll certainly know more than i do about that. (keep in mind he’s extra busy these days, it’ll take him time to respond.)
Thank you!

Ohthis

Electromatic
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
1. don’t know.

Oh mister rain, I don't know where to find Tim. I don't see him in the member section.

mister rain

Synchromatic
Apr 23, 2020
new orleans
Oh mister rain, I don't know where to find Tim. I don't see him in the member section.
easy, tru-arc.com

look for the email contact info. bottom right corner?

but here’s my thought. you’ve just gotta be not the twentieth, but the hundredth player that has come up for. i wonder if we’ll hear from folks when they get online monday.

i used to lean (hard) on low D open G, and opted for schaller roller bridges with my b5’s - really the only option back then. but i only did it because of intonation.

these days? i’d probably shrug and live with it, unless it was an “always this tuning” axe. in which case i would discuss it with tim.

reminds me. i need to talk to him about a new set of bridges for my black beauties… think i picked the wrong material for both. (maybe i can swap em… hmmm…)

anyway. you might wind up with a wilkinson (which are great… for the price) or an abm (which i hear are phenomenal… and should be, at that price…)

i think back to one of my all time favorite guitar duos, and how they dealt with intonation issues from improvised tunings…

Ohthis

Electromatic
Jun 29, 2022
Netherlands
easy, tru-arc.com

look for the email contact info. bottom right corner?

but here’s my thought. you’ve just gotta be not the twentieth, but the hundredth player that has come up for. i wonder if we’ll hear from folks when they get online monday.

i used to lean (hard) on low D open G, and opted for schaller roller bridges with my b5’s - really the only option back then. but i only did it because of intonation.

these days? i’d probably shrug and live with it, unless it was an “always this tuning” axe. in which case i would discuss it with tim.

reminds me. i need to talk to him about a new set of bridges for my black beauties… think i picked the wrong material for both. (maybe i can swap em… hmmm…)

anyway. you might wind up with a wilkinson (which are great… for the price) or an abm (which i hear are phenomenal… and should be, at that price…)

i think back to one of my all time favorite guitar duos, and how they dealt with intonation issues from improvised tunings…

Oh I definitely like sonic youth! My guitar is a new custom shop falcon, so maybe I should just change the factory strings and see if that helps. I won't be swapping out the bridge. I'm not too worried about intonation issues from alternate tunings, but I wondered if an alternate tuning, combined with a bigsby, messes up tuning stability. The g string going sharp after a few hits on the bigsby arm, seems odd to me. I'm such a newbie at this stuff. I always played simple telecasters, but the big Gretsches are way more suitable to my fingerstyle kind of playing. White falcons react more like an acoustic guitar does and I love it

TobyB

Electromatic
Nov 22, 2021
UK
If you do find yourself chasing tuning stability and accurate intonation (if...?) I can highly the ABM 2400c roller bridge for getting both right, and a great tone too. Transformational on a couple of mine.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
The G string cuts a sharp angle to the tuning peg, as does the D string which can create problems for the string to return to its neutral in tune position as it hangs up on the side of the nut slot. A properly dressed nut slot with a wider slant towards the tuner at the tuner side of the nut solves this.

Sometimes just lubing the nut is enough. Use pencil graphite or something like Big Ben’s Nut Sauce, I use Big Ben’s.

DIY….A few you tube videos and the proper size nut files works or just a trip to a good guitar tech who understands Bigsby.

Good luck

swivel

Country Gent
May 13, 2018
PNW
Important things (mostly for 'more than mild' tremelo use) are:
-Your nut slots need to be so they are not too tight. Otherwise the string may slip through the slot when using the Bigsby but not return when you stop.
-Using a bridge that rocks helps to avoid tuning issues as it moves with the string tension a bit.

Having said that, I seldom find a guitar with any model of Tremelo to hold tuning very well other than the mildest of bends.

TV the Wired Turtle

Gretschified
Jul 25, 2009
Sandy Eggo
Im surprised no one asked you to check your Blinker Fluid?! :)

Please take it to a qualified luthier before spending a dime on rollerskates or $100 bar bridges. Dont get me wrong, tru-arc bridges are the of the highest quality metallurgy and crafted to actually intonate accurately (if your brige base is in the right spot) but you mentioned 11g strings on a guitar that comes stock
with 10g strings so by default the strings are not seated correctly or free in travel. Mr Luthier will recut you a nut (preferably white tusq XL or unbleached bone) for your strings of preference and get your bridge saddles dressed proper.

oneforsorrow

Country Gent
May 15, 2020
Iowa
The Falcon does come with 11’s. I was using a custom set that had a 22w 3rd and I had the same issue on my Country Club. Mine has a zero fret so I was able to widen the slot without fear of making it too deep. I also use Lizard Spit nut sauce. I also just purchased a Serpentune and switched to a plain 3rd (experimenting with 18’s and 20’s leaning on the 20 for the feel and intonation). The bridge intonates fine for me and the work I did on the nut translates to the new strings.

I’d start with the nut and get it to work for the strings you prefer to play.