Triple Cabronita TV Jones Build Suggestion

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Cactus Jack, Jun 13, 2020.

1. Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack Electromatic

Jun 12, 2020
    Arizona
    I enjoy building solid body electric guitars, and I've decided for my next project I'm going to tackle a triple Cabronita Tele. I am building this purely for the fun of it. To be honest I build more than I play. I just love guitars.

I've decided to install three TV Jones Filtertrons. Originally, I was planning a Classic in the neck and middle, and a Classic Plus in the bridge. However, I'm curious if there are other combinations I should try. For instance, would a Supertron work well in the middle? It would sure look cool :) .

When I do play, I play your basic rock and blues, but I'm not going after a particular style or tone. I'm most interested in making a one off instrument that musicians like you all would appreciate. I usually gift my creations to friends and family so I just want something fun and unique that will sound good.

Any insight and suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for your time, and I hope all is well.

pmac11, DennisC and new6659 like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Cactus Jack. I suggest you take a look at the TVJ Duo-Trons as well. A sort of cross between the Classics and the Supertrons.
    welcome mat 30.jpg

fender62custom and ronbo like this.
  3. GlenP

GlenP Synchromatic

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    With a strat style five position pickup switch, or with three individual on/off pickup switches? Would be nice to still have a neck/bridge option, but the positions 2 and 4 would be nice to have.

pmac11 likes this.
  4. fender62custom

fender62custom Gretschified

Mar 3, 2012
    Helidon, Australia
    Agree ... or a Supertron in the neck

5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Classic plus bridge, duo trip neck in the middle and supertron neck.

6. Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack Electromatic

Jun 12, 2020
    Arizona
    My plan is to use a 5 way switch, master volume, master tone, and a blender pot. I like to wire my Strats with blender pots, but a bit differently than most folks. I wire it directly to the neck pup and in a way that it's only usable when the bridge or bridge + middle positions are engaged. This allows me to dial in my preferred neck tone and a bit of warmth to the bridge. Best of all, once you find your ideal tone, its a set it and forget. I'm going to try it in this application, but I love to tinker, especially with wiring, so who knows where I'll end up :).

Jeff67 likes this.
  7. Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack Electromatic

Jun 12, 2020
    Arizona
    Thanks for the warm welcome. I hadn't thought about a Duo Tron and will definitely check that out. I really appreciate the input, and insight.

8. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Gretschie

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to the forum. I'm no help on choosing pickups. Enjoy the build and show pictures.

9. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    Ah, blending pots that depend on the switch position ... I hear you, I agree. I have one in my Tele and love it.

My Tele has a cool wiring ... fiveway for two pickups: Bridge, Bridge + Neck in series with 0...50 kOhm, the other way round, neck, serial connection ... master tone, master volume, and all three are push pull ... hum free pickups in serial and parallel, and the tone can chose between 10 nF and 20 nF capacity.

A fiveway will mean you can't do all options 3 pickups offer ... 3 single ones, 3 pairs, 1 all = 7.

The pickups might be a tough choice, but in general, I'd see if I get the strongest for bridge, the weakest for neck, and between inbetween.

Classic+ Bridge - Classic Bridge - Classic Neck would be my first attempt, and from there on think it through.

I totally get what you're after. Actually, I'm always a little disappointed when a wiring doesn't have any weird or special feature, as a guitar wiring really is among the simplest circuits that are useful for anything at all ... a very versatile one might be counterintuitive to operate or something, which is where I see the right target for thought and consideration about all this ... getting all the useful options easily at hand, so that one would expect it the way it is, or at least isn't puzzled with it...?

... after all, about 80 % is bridge pickup only, full throttle ... serial I hardly ever use at all (maybe it sounds better with real singlecoils), and I couldn't get any more pots and switches in the control cavity, but I love how it all works nice and reliable. Worth it!

10. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    Classic bridge and TV-HT in the middle and neck positions would get my vote - supercharged, Gretschified HSS setup!

11. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Cactus Jack!

Love build threads,do post pics ,if ya can sir.

12. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Welcome to G-T. Where in AZ are you, which is somewhat like asking where in Hell are you? :) 110 degrees today, in my neck of the woods. That's a relief, after yesterday. It was hot yesterday. :)

TV Jones pickups are a study, all of their own. I happen to love the Supertron family, but it is not necessarily something everyone would love. Supertrons are very focused and very articulate. Chet Atkins described the Supertron as "having more note" than a Filtertron. I can't think of a better description. My question, and I don't claim to have the answer, is how well a Supertron would work in conjunction with other pickups. A neck Supertron and a Bridge Classic+ match well, but be aware that a neck Supertron will have very strong lows. It's good for some things. The biggest question would be how a Supertron in the center would mesh with a Classic in the neck position.

pmac11 likes this.
  13. Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack Electromatic

Jun 12, 2020
    Arizona
    I'm in the West Valley, Litchfield Park to be exact, and yes, it's Hell here too! So much for the heat killing COVID. I hope you and yours are healthy and safe!

I went in my garage today and decided I was crazy to attempt a build right now. We're barely into June and my garage is already 100*+ all day every day. As such, I pivoted and will be doing an indoor assembly instead.

I headed over to Warmoth and picked up a nice Tele body, which is being routed for three humbuckers. They couldn't do Filtertron size, but I'm fine as I planed on using rings anyways. The body is solid Mahogany with a flame maple top, and the controls will be Strat style. Also, I picked up a quarter sawn Wenge neck. My default neck is roasted Maple, but I thought for this project I'd try something a bit unique. Finally, I spoke with Mark Rutters and he's modifying a chopped Tele bridge to ensure perfect string alignment. I know folks will say string alignment doesn't matter, but it does matter to my OCD brain!

Now I just need to dial in the pickups. Here are a few pics:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DennisC, tolm and new6659 like this.
  14. Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack Electromatic

Jun 12, 2020
    Arizona
    A quick peek at Reverb and I saw a Supertron neck, Classic Bridge middle, and Powertron Plus bridge pickup set that might be interesting. I imagine you loose a lot of the classic Filtertron tone, but talk about a screaming demon! Any thoughts on that combo?

15. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    First off, that is beautiful. You should and up with a very nice instrument.

I’ve had Powertrons, but never a Powertron+. The Powertrons were still very Gretsch-like, in fact, I could get a nearly perfect Chet Atkins sound from them. I ended up swapping them out, however, because I was looking for clean sounds and was having to run the Powertrons at about 1/2 volume.

I think that combination you mention would work. The middle pickup would be somewhat weaker than the neck Supertron, however. If you reversed the order, Classic neck, Supertron middle, it might work better.

16. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    I agree with Synchro, simply based on numbers.

Na, it just makes sense this way ... from higher output at the bridge to lower at the neck, as a general rule-of-thumb this is proven to work ... the further from an anchoring point, the more motion, the less of said motion needs to be transformed into electric signal.

And, as these all are dual coil humbucking pickups, you won't have any reason to worry about RWRP in the right position and stuff - they'll just work whereever they're placed.

The Powertron Plus ... I don't know it personally, but I think it may be worth a try. These are not the classic Filtertron in all regards, but in some they are, and in bridge position, you'll likely not lack of twang. Even a gibsonish PAF there, wired with low load, delivers this.

And they look totally cool!

Telecasters are great, can't wait to see the result!

The blender pot ... hm ... this might lead into an interesting wiring. The pickup's output might be a bit of an offmatch, I don't know ... but that is easy to fix.

17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Friend of Fred

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I have Powertrons in two of my guitars and I enjoy them very much.
    Since I play mainly with some crunch they give me a bit more punch than the standard Filtertrons but still preserve this special chime and twang. Think of a cross between a Filtertron and a PAF. I would suggest one for the bridge-position.

18. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
  19. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    I read somewhere - I forget where - that in order to get the best “quack” when using pickups together on a 3-pickup guitar (pos 2/4 on a Strat) then the middle pickup should be the lowest output.

So, in order of descending output:
    - Bridge
    - Neck
    - Middle

20. Cactus Jack

Cactus Jack Electromatic

Jun 12, 2020
    Arizona
    Thanks for all the thoughtful feedback! Due to all the options I decided to call up TV Jones directly and see what they recommended. They advised to keep things simple and not overthink it and suggested a Classic, Classic, Classic Plus combo. Hard to argue with that, but darn, those Supertrons look cool as heck! Keep the suggestions coming and I'll update the thread once I pull the trigger, which will be in the next day or so.

Waxhead likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.