Tremolo Pedals

ruger9

Country Gent
Nov 1, 2008
NJ
From what I understand, it used a sealed container with a liquid inside, which was used as a conductor for the signal and the sloshing of that liquid determined the strength of the signal passing out of the device. A motor controls the speed of the motion of the drum containing the liquid. I have no idea of how they controlled the depth, and I couldn’t find a schematic so I can only confidently state that it was a combined effort of the Bedrock Quarry and Spacely Sprockets. :)

This would make it very similar to the old oil can echoes...

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
I have a catalinbread Valcoder, cool but very sensitive to setting adjustments, too much or too little. It makes a nice Supro sounding boost, but you have to ditch the tremolo unless you want maximum annoyance from both effects

Synchro

The artist formerly known as: Synchro
Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
This would make it very similar to the old oil can echoes...
Similar principle, but the fluid is non-viscous, so it responds much differently. From the ZZ Top song, it sounded good, but nothing all that unusual.

My next field of research may end up being Harmonic Tremolo.

Floo

Country Gent
Dec 16, 2012
Elmshorn, Germany
You might like to look for the Sury Industries "Surfy Trem", which is a Blackface/Brownface Vibrato, or the "Surfy Vibe". This one is supposed to recreate a Magnatone Vibrato and has a switch to add a feedback path, so it's a kind of phaser, more or less. Both seem to be quite versatile for two knobs and a switch plus footswitch.

Last edited:

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
You might like to look for the Sury Industries "Surfy Trem", which is a Blackface/Brownface Vibrato, or the "Surfy Vibe". This one is supposed to recreate a Magnatone Vibrato and has a switch to add a feedback path, so it's a kind of phaser, more or less. Both seem to be quite versatile for two knobs and a switch plus footswitch.
It’s on my short list. Do you have one? My only concern would be that there is no volume drop when the pedal is engaged.

ruger9

Country Gent
Nov 1, 2008
NJ
It’s on my short list. Do you have one? My only concern would be that there is no volume drop when the pedal is engaged.

The Supro Tremolo pedal has a switch for Harmonic mode, and it has a drive control... not only will it boost volume (unity gain/volume when at 0), but will also add some drive... very cool...

Byron

Country Gent
Sep 4, 2009
uk
Can't help thinking it's an effect that works well even in a low cost economy version. Ive had great results from cheapo models, including a Danelectro yellow plastic thing....cheese and jam or something

Maguchi

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Lalaland
IMO, the best...........................

I have this one too.

It's a strange one but cool.............................

Is that a tremolo pedal, or a supercomputer? That is a bunch of features! I use a humble Boss TR-2, usually on the sine wave profile.
Couldn't see the video in the OP, so not sure which trem it was. I like the Boss TR-2 also. Built solid as a rock and goes from triangle to square wave and all points in between. Oh and sounds great too. However, whenever it's practical, the vibrato/tremelo on a Brownface, Blackface or Silverface amp is even better.

20210130_001251.jpg 20211006_152605.jpg 20210722_140554.jpg

Last edited:

LivingMyDream

Friend of Fred
Gold Supporting Member
May 4, 2016
Peculiar, Missouri
Mine is a Danelectro Filthy Rich. I was in a local music store, and they had a Danelectro pedal display. I didn't have a tremolo, so while I was checking out a Fender Vintera Strat, I plugged into the Filthy Rich. Being new to finding the tremolo sound that I want, this one got me going in the right direction. I got this to go with my Vox AC10. My Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue already has a good onboard "tremolo" called a "vibrato."

1669927637247.png

Recently, this one caught my ear:

1669927778203.png

RG7X

Synchromatic
Nov 11, 2018
Los Angeles
Bought a brand new Swamp Thang and returned it... the quality of that pedal was questionable. Just bought a Catalinbread Valcoder (in route) I'm pretty stoked about. Anyone try / have the Nailhead?

DennisC

Country Gent
May 11, 2017
Germany
I have an EHX Pulsar. The one hcsterg has, too.

It's pretty good, but one thing I consider to be off a bit - in stereo mode, only one side gets the full treatment, meaning it swells up and down ... while the other side is simply shut off and on, if I remember this correctly ... haven't had much time lately, played a lot less than I wanted and haven't used it in a while ... but I will, just now, employ it and fiddle around a bit, still 39 minutes left until nocturnal quietism is required, so I may wake up the early sleeping neighbours ... weekend ... retired, they, anyway ... anyway, as I don't use it as a two channel that often, I'm almost fully pleased by what it offers, but that one channel being treated to the best of their knowledge, and one not so much, I find off a bit.

I tried a few out in a shop some years ago, but ... don't remember which they were, but they consisted of ones I considered not good enough, and ones I considered too expensive at the moment.

Henry

I Bleed Orange
Apr 9, 2014
Petaluma
Hard to beat the Flint for all it offers

And the new v2 is so much more useful for someone like me who wants to use many of its sounds at a tap of the foot. V1 was my main trem and I used all 3 sounds. Harmonic with an octave pedal was awesome. Optical with an envelope filter was a barrel of laughs. Loved having different reverb options to add to the amp always on subtle reverb.

Now I use my amp bias trem which I love as the trem does not swallow the note, makes it more useful for leads. I need to experiment with the trems in my H9.

GlenP

Country Gent
Double Platinum Member
Jul 23, 2019
WA
I don’t use one much at all, but will need it for playing in the musical Grease at my kid’s high school soon. A lot of the songs use a bit of tremolo for that kind of dreamy vibe in some parts. I have the little pedal version of the Keely Verb O Trem which should do the job well enough. Plenty of natural acoustic reverb in the auditorium so I won’t need to add much of that. It also has a vibrato and harmonic trem option, but I think I will stick to the regular trem setting for this show.

I have been interested in the Fender Tre-Verb, that one has a nice stereo harmonic tremolo.

Last edited:

mbkri

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Sep 22, 2012
Chicago
636AF796-1D47-4D71-AA47-DC03B93DC724.jpeg
Have had this for a week and i haven't even had time to plug it in yet.
Just got back from the UK with a Silver Falcon and i haven't had a chance to plug that in either! Looking forward to having some quiet time over Christmas. Quiet time for me to make some noise.

Danno

Gretschie
Jan 2, 2023
South Portland, Maine
I have owned two trem pedals over the years. My first was the Behringer Ultra Tremolo and the second was Boss TR-2.

I actually liked the Behringer better because it had harder clipping for an intentional lofi sound.

I've never been a huge trem user only when I take a stab at Spaghetti Western sounds. I currently don't use one. My experience amp trem always sounds better and if I find myself needing it I'll probably buy a second amp versus a pedal again.

RG7X

Synchromatic
Nov 11, 2018
Los Angeles
I've been trying out several trem pedals over the last few months and settled on the Mr. Black Deluxe Plus with harmonic tremolo. Blends in beautifully with my setup.

iu

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
I don't use tremolo much, but last year bought a used Keeley Verb o Term for good price.
Works for me and reverb too! pedals.jpg

Last edited:

Synchro

Staff member
Jun 2, 2008
Tucson
I just (yesterday) received a Source Audio True Spring. My motive in buying this was to access the various forms of tremolo it has available. Early tests have been quite promising. I’ll be posting a road test in the next few days.

eric.chambers

Electromatic
Mar 17, 2014
PA
I've had a few:

Flower Pedals Dandelion trem is a fantastic harmonic trem
Diamond & Empress both excellent with tap tempo and lots of wave forms and options.
Voodoo Labs is a great trem on the cheap.