Tremolo pedal recommendations?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by capnhiho, Sep 30, 2020.

1. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
    I use the tremolo on my amp.
    I had a cheap Behringer tremolo pedal a few years back, it was a great pedal. I think my son has it now.
    I loved my old Delta Blues 115 but the volume dropped whenever I used the amps tremolo... Great sounding amp apart from that..

pmac11, ZackyDog and BCRatRod73 like this.
  2. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
  3. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I've read about that volume drop problem. I don't turn my amps up loud enough at home to notice any change. You'd think there would be an easy mod to fix it. Probably remove a wire, or jumper something, maybe take a resistor out or increase the value, I bet it's a simple fix. I'd have to study the schematic.
    I do love that amp. It just sounds so huge. I was a little skeptical at first because 15" speaker = bass only. Or so I thought. I was wrong. I wish Peavey would try a 6V6 option. The el84 tubes are great and I have them in my Classic 50 2x12. I can't help but think what a 6V6 Delta Blues would sound like.

rockinforJesus and Trash Kidd like this.
  4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I wonder how pedals compare to an amp for tremolo? It's not an effect I tend to use myself, but my Fender '64 Custom Deluxe reverb has a really nice trem effect. I don't have it on any other amp and I may have to start using tremolo on certain songs as I'm hoping to become part of an events band. I don't want to use my '64 CDR for gigging, so will have to buy something to use with one of my other amps that don't have it built in.

ZackyDog likes this.
  5. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    The Valcoder pedal by that company who's name I can't spell is great (stupid name). It covers a bit too much in its sweep though, going from a gentle throb to full on Chopper mode. It's volume setting makes a great overdrive too

6. OzzPocket

OzzPocket Gretschie

Aug 11, 2020
    NYS
    If you're a heavy tremolo user, you might want something better, but in my case (not a super heavy user of tremolo), I've had good luck with my Danelectro Cool Cat Tremolo.....does everything I need it to do, very sturdy build, true bypass (if that matters to you), and I think it was only like $35ish when I bought it several years ago...... I don't think they make it any more, but Ebay or Reverb probably has thousands...lol

[​IMG]

pmac11 likes this.
  7. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Or the Dano Tuna Melt, their older yellow trem pedal. Had one years ago, very sweet n cheap

pmac11 likes this.
  8. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    The Supro Tremolo pedal has most the same features as the Valcoder. It’s the next best thing to owning a Supro amp cuz it has a gain knob to get the crunch. But the Supro pedal doesn’t have a volume knob. It doesn’t drop the volume so it’s not needed. Which is FINE with me. I hate having too many volume knobs in my rig, so having one less is a bonus.
    It also switches between the swampy Supro tremolo and a “harmonic” tremolo that I never ever use.

pmac11 likes this.
  9. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

Dec 2, 2016
    Washougal
    I use two tremolos to get the rich swelling on sustained notes.

The first is the Keeley Dynatrem, low and slow in the harmonic tremolo setting. It filters much like a phaser with not really any pitch variations.

The second is the Dr. Scientist Tremolessence set lowish, in stereo (trs in and out), a bit faster than the Dynatrem.

It works for me, but sometimes I miss the ehx Stereo Pulsar. It panned in a more complex way that was very musical. It started fritzing out when used in stereo so away it went.

10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    When I need tremolo and my amp doesn't have it I use the Strymon Flint.
    It has 3 different classic Fender Tremolos and they all sound really good. The on board reverb is an added bonus. 3 different style reverbs - spring, plate & 80s digital verb. Really nice verbs that can give you synth like chordal sustain.
    I use the tremolo on my Rhodes piano sampled keyboard and it works great.

11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I have a flint id sell if interested. The trem is excellent, but I have an amp, mobius and h9 to cover that sound, the flint is a great balance of tweakability and ease of use.

pmac11 likes this.
  12. Tegzsa

Tegzsa Electromatic

Dec 6, 2019
    Berlin
    I have a Voodoo Labs and like it, particularly as it has a volume control.

Tele295 likes this.
  13. rockinforJesus

rockinforJesus Synchromatic

Nov 7, 2014
    Upstate New York
    Yep, I had the same issue with mine, but loved it otherwise.
    I sold the DB115 and bought an AC15C1. Proved to be an excellent move.

Trash Kidd likes this.
  14. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I really like the TC Electronic Pipeline.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to play well with BOSS RV5 in the parallel FX loop on my Mesa. To keep noise levels low, the amp manual says to set the effects output full 'wet' and control the overall level of the effect via a knob on the amp. Runaway low frequency oscillation ensues whenever the Pipeline and the BOSS are on at the same time. So I have to use the amp's reverb when the trem is on.
    There's always something,eh? First world problems, lol.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.