Tremelo Pedals

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by RomanSteve, Mar 3, 2021.

1. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    I have one of each and you won't go wrong with either. Both are fantastic pedals

oneforsorrow likes this.
  2. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I have the boss pn-2. Works for me.

Chmason85 likes this.
  3. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Before I got amps with tremolo I was using a Boss TR2, can’t go wrong with that one. Built like a tank and works perfectly fine.

4. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I’ve been interested in the JHS Kodiak for a long time. It’s got your basic sine wave, but also some other tremolo shapes that seem really cool and useable too. Plus you’ve got tap tempo and you can use it with an expression pedal and adjust on the fly.

Slighter and Chmason85 like this.
  5. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    So many good trem pedals these days! So many mentioned in this thread already!

I've been using an Alexander Equilibrium for years now. It does the throb of bias vary thing very, very well. The secret weapon it has is the mix knob. By keeping a bit of the clean signal in the mix, the warble slides in like it does in a tube tremolo system.

I have the older version...

6. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I'm curious to know how all of you use tremolo pedals? I never really got it so far

pmac11 likes this.
  7. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    There are several kinds of tremolo out there to be aware of. Bias vary and optical sound pretty similar to me. The one I really like these days is harmonic tremolo. That blue Supro up above has a harmonic option worth listening to.

Also, the Quaverato is wonderful sounding. Down side is that it's hard to get the ready to play versions - mostly you have to buy the kit:

https://zeppelindesignlabs.com/product/quaverato-harmonic-tremolo-pedal/

pmac11 likes this.
  8. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    How about the Valcoder by Catalinbread? Really good, a little to good in fact. I does the classic Supro thing but can get very extreme in an on/off sense. Great overdrive too, which can be used on its own.
    But really, Tavos Nailhead is all ya need, grab one

9. Byron

Byron Synchromatic

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    Love it when the tremolo becomes the main chug and a rhythmic element of the whole song. Like that Smiths song, and for me, even better in this belter of a song

pmac11, Trash Kidd, cowmoo and 4 others like this.
  10. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    I use mine with the speed set fast with maybe medium intensity.
    I have it on almost all of the time. I may turn the intensity (depth) up or down depending on the song I’m playing.

Marv666 and MentalTossFlycoon like this.
  11. lathoto

lathoto Synchromatic

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    The Kodiak is the tremolo pedal that I use. It has tap tempo (required in my book) and selectable different wave forms. Two speed settings (fast and slow) with a ratio knob to adjust the note values. IMHO it gets close enough to the Brownface circuit for my needs.

Merc likes this.
  12. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA

Vibrato or Tremolo? Either way, it might get loud...

Marv666, pmac11 and Trash Kidd like this.
  13. matmosphere

matmosphere Newbie

Jun 2, 2020
    DC
    I’ll throw out a curveball here, the moogerfooger MF102 Ring Modulator is hands down the best sounding Tremolo I’ve ever heard. It does weird stuff to, but you can use it as just a tremolo, and it is amazing. Not cheap, big box and not made anymore, but totally worth it.

I wish they would make a version that was just the tremolo, but guitar effects are not really their big thing I guess.

Another I really like because of how versatile it is us the Drolo Twin Peaks tremolo. It’s got a good variety of sounds and does tap tempo as well.

14. Slighter

Slighter Electromatic

Dec 5, 2019
    Chicago
  15. rjung1

rjung1 Newbie

Jan 1, 2021
    st pete
    I had the Dynatrem, but sold it. It does a lot but in the end was too "complicated" for my needs. I guess I like simpler pedals. Try before you buy if you can. I get my trem from my amps (Deluxe reverb/Princeton reverb) or from a Flint (which is excellent). I am very intrigued by the Supro one, from the samples I have heard it sounds excellent.

pmac11 likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I have an Empress Tremolo, Source Audio Vertigo, T-Rex Tremster, and a Joyo somewhere. All pretty good for the money, my ambitions, and expectations.

17. Sid Nitzerglobin

Sid Nitzerglobin Country Gent

Jun 8, 2015
    fROMOHIO
    For amp style trem the Flint really does it for me on harmonic, tube, or optical (although I'm usually using the tube setting). The verbs are quite good as well, not super drippy on the spring setting, but very nice for ambiance.

I like the trem on the Mr. Black Deluxe Plus/Deluxe Deluxe Plus a good bit as well. The spring verb on it seems stronger at subtle than overt for me but is also pretty good IMO.

Cusack Tap-a-whirl, Empress Tremolo, Fulltone SupaTrem, & Nocturne Nailhead do nice amps styles as well IME.

It's a really cool pedal, I've struggled to get it to do as good of an amp trem impression as the above pedals, but the possibilities are next to endless w/ that thing. It's a bit overwhelming to be honest.

pmac11 and Henry like this.
  18. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    You’re giving me some GAS to look for a good used one later this year. ;)

lathoto likes this.
  19. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I had one and sold it. Don't get me wrong, it was a great trem, but 7 knobs, two toggles, two stompers... too much for my taste.
    Like most, I don't function optimally if I have too many choices. :)

20. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I use it mostly for covering 50s' and 60s' style slow dance tunes, or for my own creations inspired by 50s' and 60s' slow dance tunes.

Marv666 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.