TOP 10 UNDERRATED GUITAR SOLOS OF ALL TIME

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Nov 14, 2020.

1. Xochi2

Xochi2 Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Here are a few from my point of view for a myriad of reasons...

1) "Mr. Sandman" (1955) - Chet Atkins
    2) "Reelin' In The Years" (1973) - Steely Dan (Elliott Randall - Session Player)
    3) "25 Or 6 To Four" (1970) - Chicago (Terry Kath)
    4) "Watch Your Step" (1961) - Bobby Parker
    5) "Hound Dog" (1956) - Elvis Presley (Winfield Scott "Scotty" Moore III)
    6) "Baby Please Don't Go" (1965 US) - Them (Billy Harrison or Jimmy Page?!?)
    7) "Baby Please Don't Go" (1967) - The Rising Storm (Bob Cohan?)
    8) "Roundabout" (1971) - Yes (Steve Howe)
    9) "Life In The Fast Lane" (1976) - Eagles (Joe Walsh)
    10) "Hey Joe" (1967) - Jimi Hendrix

section2 and drmilktruck like this.
  2. tdtom

tdtom Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2018
    new zealand
    I've always liked the Martin Barre solo in Aqualung. It just fits so well.

3. slickfaster

slickfaster Synchromatic

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
  4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I usually post that one in threads like these. Starts at 1:20. Great underrated and understated solo by a guitarist nobody's heard of. Indeed his fills throughout the song are a delight.

Xochi2 and new6659 like this.
  5. thunderbaas

thunderbaas Electromatic

Sep 22, 2019
    groningen,netherlands
    The guitarist on this track is Dean Smith (to me otherwise unknown) There are certainly no technical acrobatics in this solo. But this one allways sweeps me of my feet. Starts at 1.53. Incredible feel. Totally wonderfull. Though the piano chords drenched in reverb behind it ad a lot to the feel (probably arranged by the briljant Beefheart himself) You don't have to be a technical magician on guitar to play an awsome solo. As long as you hit the right note with the right "feel"

<iframe width="1263" height="480" src="" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

drmilktruck likes this.
  6. DasherF

DasherF Electromatic

Aug 28, 2020
    Minneapolis, Mn
    Beatles, YET again...
    I Feel Fine...I realized a few years ago that that the D-C-G progression in the beginning and middle was John on the Ric 325...quite the "electronic" sound...
    And also Paul Kossoff...he could evoke more feeling with one note than many could filling up the measures...

Last edited: Nov 21, 2020
    Xochi2 and Mr Swisher like this.
  7. RMHouston

RMHouston Newbie

Jul 3, 2017
    WASHINGTON DC
    Pete Cosey: Miles Davis Agharta and Pangea, tremendous. He's incredible on this. Way back in the 80's I was at a friends house listing to B-tches Brew and one of his friends said "Miles Runs The VooDoo Down. He then told me to check out those albums with those to bad guitar players on it and he didn't give the names. Years later I was shopping at the old Tower Records, in the jazz section and was in Miles' bin looking at two albums with no muscian listing on the cover. The cat running the jazz section came over and I asked "what albums are these, they are expensive and have no names on them. He pointed to the yellow one and said this is Miles' return from retirement and it's ok, Marcus Miller, Mike Stern, etc. He pointed to the other one and said "but that one has to baad guitar players on it. What? I was told this before and I bought it, ran home and from the first note, good gracious! Agharta.
    Omar Mason: Mandrill Fencewalk
    Allan Holdsworth: How Deep Is the Ocean, None Too Soon
    Mike Sampson: Hard Core Jollies
    Ernie Isley: Back to Square One
    Ronny Drayton: Eraserhead, Defunkt In America
    John McLaughlin: Miles Davis On the Corner

BohemianLikeMe and drmilktruck like this.
  8. dlew919

dlew919 Synchromatic

Jul 18, 2016
    Sydney, Australia

That ascending triplet line... The tone is wonderful. I'm not a fan of the band or the song really, but that solo is great.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020 at 6:02 AM
    new6659 likes this.
  9. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    welcome to Gretsch Talk!

10. RMHouston

RMHouston Newbie

Jul 3, 2017
    WASHINGTON DC
    Thank you Sir

11. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Clapton's solo on the John Mayall's Blues Breakers song "Key to Love".
    It seems to me he lost some of that aggressive, understanding of the fundamental structure of a song on later solos.
    Also it's my favourite Clapton solo of all time.
    If you can't wait, the solo begins around 1min 2 seconds in!

Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
    I love the way the guitar sounds like a screeching seagull, quite unique.
    Solo starts around 4min 47s.

12. Roger49

Roger49 Country Gent

Feb 18, 2015
    Germany
    Yes, can't quibble with that choice although it was Paul who played the solo on Taxman and not George (as we all thought at the time!) - a fact I only discovered recently.

13. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

"Seagull" made me think of The Stranglers and the very underrated Hugh Cornwell (as a guitarist).

Not a virtuoso but from the intro to the closing solo, he's great on that tune:

And on so many others...

14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Yeah Paul played lead guitar on a lot of Beatles songs while George & John played bass. Paul played lead on Ticket To Ride & Good Morning.
    John played bass on Oh Darling and George played bass on Old Brown Shoe.
    They were all talented including Ringo who played guitar and piano on several songs.

15. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    Here are two great solos from different versions of the same song: "Five Days in May" by the iconic Canadian roots-rock band Blue Rodeo. Both versions are brilliant examples of how to slowly build an ember into a raging fire.

The original solo, performed by Greg Keelor, wonderfully channels Neil Young. It starts at 4:28.

Greg stopped playing electric guitar a few years ago due to hearing loss, so the great Colin Cripps joined the band as an extra guitarist. Here he is performing a barn-burning live version with Jim Cuddy's solo band. The solo starts at 6:29.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. section2

section2 Country Gent

Dec 21, 2016
    Toronto
    And here's my favourite solo of all time: Steve Hackett's beautifully lyrical solo on Genesis's "Firth of Fifth." The solo begins at 5:45, but the whole song is a treat.

17. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

I would not say Steve Hackett was underrated back in the days. Of course, nowadays, who remember the names of these guys in Genesis apart from Phil Collins :D

From Steve Hackett, my preferred solo is The Musical Box.

section2 likes this.
  18. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    I can't believe I forgot this. One of my favourites.

section2 likes this.
  19. Paulie26

Paulie26 Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Ireland
    Anything by Rory Gallagher

Most underrated plyer ever

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.