TOP 10 UNDERRATED GUITAR SOLOS OF ALL TIME

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Nov 14, 2020.

1. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I like your style.

5120mantis likes this.
  2. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    Marc Ribot on Tom Waits' "Clap Hands". It sounds like a demonic junkyard possessed by the spirit of Albert Ayler.

Robert Quine is also a hugely underrated guitarist, best known for his stints on Richard Hell's Voidoids albums and Mathew Sweet's work, but he also played on Tom Waits' "Downtown Train". Here's Hell's "Love Comes in Spurts"

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Anything by :
    Neil Giroldo ( Pat Benatar's husband / guitarist )
    Carlos Santana ( the man in a class all by himself )

5120mantis, new6659 and Waxhead like this.
  4. OleDangy

OleDangy Electromatic

Oct 23, 2020
    JC Tennessee
    Glad to see other people on the Rick Beato channel. He has a great one. I'm so jealous of his ear. I mean, I can figure stuff out by ear but he can hear something and be like, oh yeah that's a 4 6 1 2 chord change in Bb.
    Anyway, a weird one is Funky Ride - Outkast

section2 and drmilktruck like this.
  5. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    And Your Bird Can Sing is of of my favorite solos on any record by anybody...You Can't Do That is cool too.
    Hey Bulldog also.
    Something
    Taxman...

section2, 5120mantis and drmilktruck like this.
  6. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    And your bird can sing is fantastic!

7. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Lou Reed is pretty underrated as a guitarist. Some of his short solos are really great, such as the ones in Sunday Morning or in Pale Blue Eyes. Nothing difficult, very short, but very tasty in my opinion.

Now longing for Beato's next: Top35 Most Underrated Drums Solos of All Time :D

BohemianLikeMe and drmilktruck like this.
  8. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    Yeah, Lou is kind of a masterclass in understatement, but also in how well he meshes with other guitarists like Sterling Morrison or Robert Quine.

In a similar underrated vein, I'd also like to suggest Lightnin' Hopkins. There were always flashier bluesmen who could play more notes or faster. But nobody nailed the feeling of a tune like Lightnin' and his runs always feel like they were just supposed to be there.

9. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    Also, I suppose it's kind of cheating, but Eddie Hazel's playing on Parliament's "Maggot Brain" has to be in the top 5 greatest solos of all time and nobody ever talks about him.

RMHouston, 5120mantis and drmilktruck like this.
  10. tolm

tolm Gretschie

Jan 25, 2016
    UK
    Dunno if they count as under-rated but Jimmy Eat World’s “The Middle” has a killer solo in it as does the Spin Doctor’s “Two Princes”.

section2 and Henry like this.
  11. salvatore

salvatore Gretschie

Nov 29, 2017
    Durham, NC
    Guitar solo.
    “Cinnamon Girl” : Neil Young.

I like the rhythm of the line, how it teases, and I like , at the end, when he works his pick back to the bridge pickup for some nice tone shadings.

Most importantly, it fits the song; any other solo would fall short.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    T-Bawler and drmilktruck like this.
  12. Foxbottom

Foxbottom Electromatic

Mar 12, 2016
    Eastern Kentucky
    How 'bout the Kinks' Dave Davies on "You Really Got Me?"

13. Hoot

Hoot Electromatic

Jun 25, 2019
    Southern IL, USA
    I'm probably the only one in here, but I always loved this solo. It's so off the wall, like the guitarist is barely hanging on by the skin of his teeth. There's a short solo at the 45 second mark and a longer solo at about the 1:20 mark.
    Richard Hell and The Voidoids, Blank Generation. Very short song...only about 2:30.

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

That's a pretty well celebrated solo, although maybe more for the tone than anything else.

If I was going to nominate a Dave Davies solo, I would go with "Till the End of the Day."

Paulie26 and drmilktruck like this.
  15. marcello252

marcello252 Electromatic

May 31, 2020
    Italy
    For me it's fine with The Edge's New Year's day solo, I always almost cry

Paulie26, section2 and drmilktruck like this.
  16. Xochi2

Xochi2 Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Totally agree with you! Originally called "Seventeen", besides having a fairly swift pace, IMHO, it's tricky to nail it (for me) and this is a song that I love and appreciate. I believe it took the Beatles, at least 10 takes, in which the 1st one maybe was the best. Paul and John even screwed up the lyrics, on take #2. George Martin dubbed it a "potboiler" (a rocking and good tune to start off an LP). Paul admits "nicking" (a polite way of saying "stealing") the baseline from Chuck Berry's "I'm Talking About You." Thanks for submitting this post!

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    I don't know whether or not it's underrated as such, but I've always liked Amos Garrett's beautifully understated solo on Midnight At The Oasis by Maria Muldaur.

NSM245, new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  18. Xochi2

Xochi2 Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Totally enjoy Rick Beato's insights, performances and presentations.

section2 and drmilktruck like this.
  19. Shock

Shock Electromatic

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    Guess Who's American Woman. The intro is done in G tuning, and the lead is a masterful jam off a popping riff that others would chase for years to come. Randy Bachman should be recognized and an underrated guitarist.

section2, drmilktruck and Xochi2 like this.
  20. Xochi2

Xochi2 Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Wisconsin
    Agree!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.