Too Much Beatles

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    This was enough for me:
    [​IMG]

JeffreyLeePierre and drmilktruck like this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I guess we gotta squeeze it in before all the boomer pass away. :p Their fans from 50 years ago are still around and if anything, have more time and money now than they did then.

Imo, the true test of the Beatles staying power will be when their contemporaries have all passed.

mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Towards the end of the David E. Davis era, there was sort of an insiders feel to the mag’. As a fervent reader, I was cool with this. When Automobile came out, it started off strong, but IMO the magic began to wear off, quickly.

I quit reading Automobile and went back to C&D, but at this point I’m fine without it. There’s just nothing left that interests me. My ultimate vehicle is a base Toyota pickup with a r cylinder and an automatic. I’d be happy to drive it for the rest of my life. I appreciate a good vehicle, but at the end of the day, it’s just a way to get from point A to point B.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    How many new books about Stephen Foster or John Phillips Sousa? There may be some, but those names are no longer on the tip of anyone’s tongue. Barring some unforeseen event, I would wager that in 30 years, the Beatles will be all but forgotten.

drmilktruck and Henry like this.
  5. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    So true. On the flip side, I recently learned that Bach was relatively unknown during his life and only became widely known posthumously and is now considered one of the greatest western composers ever.

drmilktruck and NJDevil like this.
  6. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    But what has he had on the charts this year? :)

Bach was great; one of the best ever. I guess he is appreciated more in retrospect than in his time. It makes one wonder where the information in current books came from. I’m not doubting any of it, but I wonder who was writing it all down.

7. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I think I like The Beatles only because they were fans of Pink Floyd and would go to clubs to see them. Kind of groovy little pop tunes which were fun but their ground-breaking material? I believe this material never really happens without Brian Wilson, who I believe is more like The Beatles' true wizard behind the curtain.

I love the blues. The Beatles started out covering a lot of blues material and were huge fans of Muddy Waters amongst others. I never cared much for John Lennon who I might have an unfair vision of as a tyrant and ego-maniac. OK... since I'm a huge Floyd fan, I have to admit that Roger Waters was probably way worse than Lennon could ever have been.

I do admit that a like a lot of the solo material....especially Paul McCartney and would actually describe myself as a pretty big Paul McCartney fan. George was fun and a heck of a great talent.......although he should never be on any list of "Greatest guitarists of a all-time" in my opinion. I also think John Lennon was on the beginning of a great comeback of sorts that would've delighted the world with some great music

I will concede they were a great building block to the larger structure of what we know as Rock 'n Roll.

drmilktruck likes this.
  8. Llywelyn

Llywelyn Electromatic

Aug 26, 2020
    Australia
    G’day Floo,

You could try your local library. I have just borrowed the current edition for 14 days from the library.

drmilktruck and Floo like this.
  9. Llywelyn

Llywelyn Electromatic

Aug 26, 2020
    Australia
    I should have said “I borrowed a digital copy.......”. I don’t think the paper version is available here in Oz.

drmilktruck and Floo like this.
  10. ElectraNomad

ElectraNomad Electromatic

Jul 11, 2021
    USA
    The first "Boy Band" really. Then they moved the times and moved with the times. Experimental and funny and also just straight ahead rock and roll. They are very diverse and drove many many of all our guitar heroes since the 60s to being such.

It's just another article man, so what?

drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  11. J Bird

J Bird Gretschie

I really do love, admire and respect the Beatles. I am looking forward to the Peter Jackson documentary, as it sounds like it will focus more on their comradery than the infighting.

That being said, I did not like the Love remix album. Nor do I give my preferred music streaming app even the slightest chance to bludgeon me with Beatles music (or, for that matter, Led Zeppelin). As far as Pandora knows, I hate the Beatles, but love similar sounding music.

12. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    That - yeah, that is gonna indicate a lot. Kind of the critical generation - to me, for example, everything recorded prior to 1982 (or even a few years later) is kind of of the same age. Of course, I know it isn't, I know things developed in a certain way and all that, but that all was there. London Calling and Great Balls Of Fire aren't from the same era, but ... you get the point - it didn't matter to me if it was half a generation old when I got to know it, or more than one, or whatever. Stuff that makes it into the next generation likely will make it further, stuff that fails to make it past its own time will likely not make it further, as the secondary starting point is weaker.

But, OTOH, you hardly ever find someone who doesn't at least aknowledge the influence the Beatles had, even if it might be possible to find people not liking them - that's easy. It isn't hard either to find, say, someone who does like internal combustion engines, but isn't into huge pushrod cast iron V8 engines. I just found one of that kind. It isn't hard to find a straight guy wearing a dress, indicating his lack of boobs using his hands to display the size he'd like to have... just found one of that kind, huh huh .......

Nah, seriously - there's quite a bit to this statement, as all the effects that build upon coming-of-age memories, the soundtrack of your youth, that won't be Beatles-related with people who are substantially younger than the Beatles themselves - meaning, born after, like, 1965 or so, you likely got to know the Beatles as a band from the past, who won't play together again. They might be into Led zeppelin or Black Sabbath or so, who were fans of the Beatles, but sound quite different.

I got into the Beatles about a year before I started school, which was 1989, but, as my Dad was into the Beatles (and the Stones, the Kinks, the Pretty Things, the Who, ... born in 1952, how else could he?), their records were around, and I learned how to play them once my hands were big enough to handle them, and my first CD was a cheapo-pack of three Bealtes CDs . So ... I thought everybody would at least know them, but my classmates were more into music aiming at children, and the ones who had better taste were into David Hasselhoff. Seriously, they were that nuts.

But, anyway, we still can OD on the Beatles if we like to, and I guess this is one of the least harmful overdose incidents. OD'ing on Cher or so, I wouldn't take too lighthearted - that autotune-song from end of the nineties still makes me consider taking another look at my last meal.

... and whoever doesn't like the Beatles ... or already had a sufficient amount - turn off the radio, change the channel, no one's forcing you.

13. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    I think @Teledriver is correct. There aren't many artists that can guarantee an increase in sales on guitar magazine covers. The Beatles are one of them. Even if there is nothing new to say, as long as you can convince someone to grab your magazine you win temporarily. The problem for many guitar magazines (and guitar companies) is that the biggest demographic is aging. While the pandemic caused an uptick in instrument sales, the long term trend for guitar sales is down. Vintage guitars (50s-60s) are even worse long term. Younger people identify more with 80s-90s-00s than earlier. Most baby boomers are in the sell down mode not buying. Think of the analogy, after the folk boom, how many popular music people bought banjos? Prior to the widespread use of amps, banjos were bigger than guitars for dance bands, as they're louder. Not too many harpsichord buyers either once pianos became established. Lots of people here dis hip hop/rap, but it sells.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
    mrfixitmi likes this.
  14. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    :rolleyes::DNo such thing.
    But you can pick any two words from the Phrase if you wish:
    TOO MUCH BEATLES

drmilktruck likes this.
  15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    So, this is really one visible part of iceberg which is the Baby Boom. As the statistical bulge in the charts goes, so goes many facets of our economy and society. In another 10-15 years, it will be completely over with as an influence upon civilization and the economy, and like generations before, be all but forgotten.

I remember the Beatles coming to America and it seemed like the most important thing in the world, at the time. Sadly, nothing stays the same.

new6659 and drmilktruck like this.
  16. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I couldn't stand most of the Beatles, or Doors, and many other popular groups growing up. I have since come to appreciate and like the doors and more of the Beatles but not all.

drmilktruck likes this.
  17. GreTschocaster

GreTschocaster Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2013
    Canada
    So.... in other words with regards to the Beatles you feelings are "Let It Be".

drmilktruck likes this.
  18. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I don’t see them in the messianic terms that some people do. They were good and definitely brought the state of rock n’ roll a step further, but some of their more experimental stuff left me a bit flat. After Sargent Pepper’s, they could have taken turns belching into microphones and still moved some product, but not everything they did ended up as a memorable work that stands on its own.

19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I don’t see them in the messianic terms that some people do. They were good and definitely brought the state of rock n’ roll a step further, but some of their more experimental stuff left me a bit flat. After Sargent Pepper’s, they could have taken turns belching into microphones and still moved some product, but not everything they did ended up as a memorable work that stands on its own.

20. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

@drmilktruck : are you that one who started a nuff is enough thread and ended buying that 1,728-page book?
    :D

drmilktruck likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.