Too Much Beatles

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by drmilktruck, Jul 28, 2021.

1. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Gretschie

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    I'm a huge Todd Rundgren fan. His recording Todd blew me away and is still one of my very favorite recordings.

drmilktruck and toddfan like this.
  2. Penguin

Penguin Country Gent

Nov 20, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
  3. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yeah, they're wasting space, what we should be talking about is Elvis!:D

4. ImGoodThanks

ImGoodThanks Electromatic

Apr 28, 2021
    Australia
    "Why do we need another article on the Beatles? There are thousands of books covering every aspect of their music and lives, including some minute details people should be embarrassed to know. What more can possibly be said?"

Ahem, Excuse me kind, Sir, Please wash your mouth out - :)

gjohnson441496 and drmilktruck like this.
  5. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    The Beatles were certainly part of my youth. While I liked their music and it was a big part of my life and memories, I probably like and appreciate their music more now than I did back in the day. Not to be confused with being a huge fan, which I’m really not.
    I have to agree, it’s all a little much these days.

Henry, drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  6. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Not Gods, Just a Band

Henry and drmilktruck like this.
  7. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    The Song "Two of Us" was going through my mind the other day and I went back and listened to it. I thought, the bass here seems better than usual. Turns out, George is playing bass while Paul plays acoustic lead. Maybe it's because Paul wrote it that way or maybe it's just George.

mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Rap is the real space waster...:D

DennisC likes this.
  9. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Can't be playing the same sort of music when we're forty....

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. afire

afire Country Gent

I'd add to this that they're also a gateway to a lot of what came before. If you get hooked by The Beatles, it's almost inevitable that you're going to take a closer look at Chuck Berry, Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly, the girl groups, not to mention some of their lesser-known but still fantastic influences like Arthur Alexander or Larry Williams.

11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Sometimes I wonder at what point tunes books can begin to detract. I’m a history buff and I read a lot, about a wide variety of subjects. I tend to fixate on things I find interesting and read all I can on the subject.

I became fascinated with a certain historical event and read everything I could get my hands on, regarding it. There was a degree of controversy regarding the causes and some very convincing “proofs” were offered to support various positions. I spent years researching this subject and my conclusions always stalled at one or two items, which I could never answer to my satisfaction, until I read a book written almost immediately after the event, while eyewitnesses and participants were available and the news sources of the time were readily accessible. Suddenly, the issues I could never resolve came to resolution, because these questions had been answered at the time of the event. The “proofs” turned out to be fabrications which were easily disprovable, but they sure sold a lot of books.

The Beatles were the target of massive media coverage in their heyday, and even these days, Paul or Ringo could call a press conference and have it quite well attended. The challenge in writing about the Beatles would be in sorting through the nearly limitless sources out there. What troubles me is that inaccuracies could take on a life of their own and be perpetuated.

section2, mrfixitmi and drmilktruck like this.
  12. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
    No flaming pie there.

drmilktruck likes this.
  13. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I am a Beatle fan, but yeah.....I won't buy anything recent about something I already know about, from reading/seeing interviews years ago.
    The Beatles aren't the only subjects for 'slow news days' for guitar mags. There are recurring covers of Hendrix and SRV too. You look in the upper right hand corner and the tab is for 'Hey Joe' or 'Pride and Joy' (for the hundredth time). This has been going on since at least the 90s, and into the 80s, I still have a bunch of those mags. There was a time when Dimebag Darryl would be on the cover alot too, and there seems to be a seasonal Woodstock issue as well. And Led Zeppelin too.

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Joe Bonamassa îs the only newer musician who's good for a cover or 2 a year for all the magazines.

15. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve noticed the same thing. Face it, Hendrix, Stevie Ray, ear any of the others that have passed away are not generating much news, unless someone unearths some previously unknown recordings, and those are usually unreleased for a good reason. (I remember hearing some previously unreleased cuts of an artist I respect greatly, but those cuts should have remained unreleased.)

Magazine publishers are in the business of selling magazines. In many cases, a magazine is an impulse purchase, so the cover has to have something to catch the eye. Dimebag Darryl, SRV, Beatles, and Hendrix make for good cover art. If there were a major news story regarding involving Peter Frampton, there would be a cover story about him on the magazine stands shortly thereafter. In view of recent events, I wouldn’t be surprised to see some ZZ Top stories in guitar mags, complete with a picture on the cover.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I sure respect him as a player.

17. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Magazines are anachronism, they're zombies, the living dead, like newspapers, the Post Office, and retail stores. I used to subscribe to several automobile mags until I discovered that the Auto companies drive the news by press releases and they all covered the same thing the same way at the same time. Also, knowing enough not to bite the hand that fed them, they would never say anything negative about a vehicle. If it really was bad they'd find something positive to say, like, "the center console is well proportioned" (during the ride in the tow truck).

18. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I read car magazines in my youth as if they were Holy Writ and lived by their every word. Hot Rod, Car Craft and Popular Hot Rodding were the first I abandoned and, it retrospect, when persons of my father’s age group would tell me that the articles in these magazines were essentially advertisements, they were spot on.

I read Car & Driver, Motor Trend and Road & Track for years but eventually tired of these as well. They are, for all intents and purposes, extensions of the publicity departments of the manufacturer. The days of David E. Davis thumbing his nose at convention in each month’s issue of Car and Driver have long since passed.

Occasionally I’ll glance at a car magazine and I usually don’t last a minute before I lose interest. It’s pretty much the same with guitar magazines. Someone published a good piece on how to play The Claw in Guitar Player, some years back, and that was about the last time I spent any time with that magazine.

The age of digital publishing has both an upside and a downside. One problem is that anyone with a computer and a Wordpress account can now be a publisher. There’s no control, either for the good or for the bad. Any idiot can spout nonsense without any editorial standards, but on the other hand, blogs and the like aren’t likely to be beholden to anyone, and can be impartial without the fear of losing advertising revenue.

There are still some print magazines out there; mostly pubs with many photos. I like the idea, but how many pictures of old Mustangs or old Mopars does a fellow need?

DennisC, drmilktruck and Sabato like this.
  19. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Click and Clack of "Car Talk" used to call them Car and Drivel and Road and Drek, can't remember if they got Motor Trend but probably.
    David E. was Great. After Jean Lindamood became editor she went on about what great terms they were on and how he was fine with the transition, then he was on video saying that he gave her a break because she was a mechanic and how she stabbed in the back and got him fired AND that he wished he could fly over her house and drop a piano on her!!! It was killin me.

drmilktruck likes this.
  20. afire

afire Country Gent

Well, if you can stomach reading another word about The Beatles, somebody has risen to that challenge.
    [​IMG]
    I haven't read it yet. But, another forum I frequent (beatgearcavern.com) has some of the most hardcore Beatle fans, mostly musicians, and every one who has read it says it's a revelation. For example, the real story of how they wound up signed to Parlophone, and particularly assigned to George Martin, is completely unlike anything you've heard or would expect.

Apparently, it really is that good, meticulously researched and engagingly written. It makes me wish I hadn't already spent time reading some of the pulpy and sloppy and lazy books that were out there before, so I had more energy to dive into this one. And as a bonus, there are two versions, the complete English edition at a staggering 1,728 pages, or the abridged American edition, at a still imposing 944 pages.

MIke M, mrfixitmi, salvatore and 2 others like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.