Too Good to Be True 6120 - Relic, Reissue, or Rip Off? (Or possibly actual vintage 6120?)

Discussion in 'Vintage Gretsch Discussion' started by BohemianLikeMe, May 18, 2020.

1. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
  2. afire

afire Country Gent

The guitar itself is legit. Whether the listing is or isn't is another question.

3. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
  4. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    The seller won't ship, but I figured I'd put it up here for discussion and if there's any posters by Nice who are interested. :D

Besides, I don't think I'd want to have a guitar that needs that much TLC in my stable-- I got done with one restoration project last year and I'm good for a while.

5. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
  6. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I just noticed that the thumbnail markers grow as you extend towards the head. Maybe it is older ,or I rarely look at my fretboard but is this normal? I always thought the markers were the same size.

wabash slim likes this.
  7. afire

afire Country Gent

No, I think they usually grow, though I think you're right that it's more pronounced on this guitar than most.
    [​IMG]

SJ1 and ToneM1 like this.
  8. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Nice is more than 100 km from Paris, which is the current limit to trips while we are progressively dequarantinizing here in France. Then I hesitate to propose to fetch it for somebody who would like to try. I doubt I could convince a policeman that such a reason to travel enters the authorised motives... But I'd only risk a 135 euro fine. Might be doable...

The seller is registered since 2015, there is a mobile phone number (add +33 and skip the zero to talk to him).
    He says it's a "family guitar" (whatever it means, and it's not clear whether that's his family), that it was played and loved. The pickguard is new, the Schaller tuners are not original but have been on the guitar for long.

But the text seems a bad translation to French. The guitar is mentioned as "he" whereas it should be "she", wrong translation wording (reliure) to say that there is no binding rot...

Then I would not buy that guitar without talking to the guy and meeting him to check the guitar. But it might be legit, some people really write that bad. And it is supposed to be secured by the secured payment policy from Leboncoin: funds are blocked until you acknowledge reception...

Henry likes this.
  9. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    Yeah, I don't know French very well, but there's a lot of ads like that on Leboncoin and Zikinf that I get some sketchy vibes off of-- nothing along the lines of Mercatino Musicale which is just kind of filled to the brim with obvious scams-- just lots of stuff which could go either way. ;)

10. JeffreyLeePierre

All Gretsch guitar ads I've seen on Zikinf seemed legit to me.
    I don't check Leboncoin that much.

11. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    I don't necessarily mean the Gretsch adds on Zikinf. :D Speaking of Zikinf, there's this Bamboo Annie there I've been trying to get better pictures of for the last few weeks and the seller keeps uploading the same two pictures. o_O

12. JeffreyLeePierre

That one?
    https://www.zikinf.com/annonces/annonce-1565904
    Now there are 6 photos.

13. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  14. afire

afire Country Gent

One way is to ask for a very specific picture. If the seller's legit, then he should be willing to do that. If you get no response, then stay away.

Scott and BohemianLikeMe like this.
  15. JeffreyLeePierre

Quite quick, that pitch! Plus the way he stated "one should change the hard case that smells humidity". Seems not like he's planning effort to conclude the sale...

BohemianLikeMe likes this.
  16. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    Yeah, I have lots of questions about what exactly that case smells like. :eek:

17. knavel

knavel Synchromatic

Dec 26, 2009
    London, England
    When I lived in northwest Italy I used to go to Nice or Menton to stock up on French wine once or twice a year. Where was this listing then?!! I'm tempted to write a friend in Nice from high school who was a medieval instruments musuem curator.

18. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Deal done on the 6120 ! I will break the law (of the 100kms max) to know more about this "too nice to be true guitar". I will let you know.

19. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    God speed, J.S.C.! Bonne route, and hope it turns out awesome!

20. nrw_guitar

nrw_guitar Gretschie

Aug 19, 2012
    kettwig
    I really want to see how this story turns out. I am contemplating a weekend trip to Belgium for an interesting Electromatic. o_O

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.