ToneWoodAmp anyone tried one?

Discussion in 'Gretsch "Roots" Acoustic Forum' started by Bertotti, Mar 19, 2020.

1. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I have my last set of Keens a fairly bad review but being th skins of guy who has to know why something isn’t working I started messing with the boots. Turns out it isn’t the boot but the narrow little insole they put in. I pulled it out and all of my foot pain went away. The set in there were pushing the outsides of my soles up and it was really a problem. Now no issues so if your keens give you some problems it may very well be the insoles.

2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    What’s funny is I was all hopes up on trying not with the MB and Jr Barnyard into the K10 but still haven’t gotten around to it. When I do get a chance to play it is usually right before bed so the Martin sits in its case next to my bed. So I just grab and go with the TWA of course but nothing else.

3. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    YOU WILL LOVE IT

Bertotti likes this.
  4. Bob Perrone

Bob Perrone Gretschie

Mar 7, 2017
    allentown, pa
    I WAS NOT IMPRESSED WITH THE YAMAHA SET UP (TRANSACOUSTIC), THE TONE WOOD AMP IS MUCH MORE IMPRESSIVE.

GlenP likes this.
  5. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Had it for almost a year now. I like it but I could have done without it. It is much more noticeable, to my ear, out front. I can hear it but I really don't need it and since I mostly play for me, in hindsight it isn't needed. If I gigged I could put it to use much more than at home. Miced it really shines.

6. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    Anyone put it inside a Gretsch body? Will it fit through a pickup hole? Will it help while playing on the couch unplugged?

7. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    More of a question for their forum. I haven't bought another internal brace for it so I haven't tried to install it on the Penguin Rancher. Depends on where the back bracing sits.

8. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    I totally had to try it, the basic echo is really dope, but man autowah and overdrive are kinda wild!

Henry and Bertotti like this.
  9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I will at some point update mine and get rid of the autowah for the chorus. I didn't bond with the autowah or overdrive. While I love the reverbs and echo! I expect the reason I didn't bond with those is that it is in my 000. I love those things with pedals on my Penguin.

How the heck did you get that brace mounted inside the hollowbody? I was worried it wouldn't fit and then if it did the back resonance wouldn't be enough to really get the full effect from it.

10. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    Ha, I used some string around the bracket put it inside through a pickup hole. I then held the rope through the f hole to keep the bracket off the body until placement, while I used tweezers to remove the wax paper off the adhesive feet.

Once the feet were ready I guided it into place by the top bout with the string and placed it down. Stuck the amp on back and pressed down to secure. Definitely a measure twice attempt once thing! PXL_20210918_180607900.jpg PXL_20210918_180727322.jpg

Bertotti likes this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I didn't realize that hole was big enough to even work like that! Nice job! So all in all are you pretty happy with it? It seems like it is in your clips!
    I'm seeing some crazy faces in that first picture. Is it a sticker or applique? At first glance, I thought it was an inlay but once the images popped out I didn't think so anymore.

12. KreepyTeach

KreepyTeach Electromatic

May 27, 2018
    Brooklyn, Ny
    Yeah, that's definitely a sticker. It's the Goosebumps G, so it's got some characters from the book. I feel like it's a cool twist off the branded G that usually comes on a Gretsch!

Bertotti likes this.
  13. jfassett

jfassett Synchromatic

Dec 9, 2017
    Tucson
    I use one with my Gretsch jumbo rancher and it fits fine...just wish the magnets were a bit stronger.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.