Tone of the Blacktop Filtertron vs HS Filtertron?

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by DHart, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    no not saying that.
    Just saying that you are commenting on the clean attributes of these pups only. All fine for you but that's only a small part of it for me and probly most other guitar players. We're different is all and it's good to recognise it so we don't talk at cross purposes :)

And the 1 trick pony reference is no more than statement of fact for anything that only does 1 thing well. Same for an SG with PAF humbuckers that only does overdrive and distortion great. They were not made to excel at clean tones and that's same for many amps also.

So it helps to split up comments into clean, overdrive, distortion so it's clearer what we're talking about.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
  2. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I do have fun at home trying to suck tones out of a one-trick pony amp it usually can't do, except clean if it can't do clean you will never get clean. Ehm Ehm, orange micro dark. I have no idea why I find that fun. What's even cooler is having an amp that everyone thinks is just a high gain monster then playing something clean and surprising them with the great clean tones. That’s kind of like people getting a great clean from Marshall. Point is a point of reference is good when stating an opinion on a piece of gear. Without it it can be misinterpreted.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  3. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Indeed. When I ask for opinions on gear, I generally do make a point of mentioning that I like a clean, bright detailed, articulate tone.

Bertotti likes this.
  4. GretschPraise

GretschPraise Gretschie

Jun 26, 2017
    Tampa Bay
    Actually, I do play mid-heavy overdrive regularly, but only in church when the song calls for it. For recreation, at home I lean towards rhythm and blues and have even recently fallen in with a (shhh!) strat. I must admit, this thread has me thinking about grabbing a 5240 and putting either HS filtertrons or TVJ classics in it. I'm afraid another p90 configuration will come first tho, and I'm already to the point where I've got more guitars than I have time to play, at least until I retire.

In reference to the "one trick pony": I'll admit, I fell in love with the Fender blackface family, the clean tones are to die for. Since my playing, both at home and in the church gig, don't allow the volume levels necessary to get a natural break up, I rely on an overdrive pedal for that juice. I have to admit, even though I play in my shop, an unattached outbuilding, I've never had my Deluxe Reverb past 5 to actually hear what it sounds like at that level and play with the saturation. At 3 it's about as loud as I can stand it already. Since I need modulation, OD, and heavy delay at times, I work with a clean amp foundation and put whatever pedals necessary in front of it.

pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah that's what everyone does with Fender and Vox amps - especially guys here on GT. Most don't own any distortion pedals I've observed. Fenders are always good pedal platforms because of their good base of cleans :)

6. Charlie westside

Charlie westside Country Gent

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Check out this vid by Darryl Braun demonstrating the Filtertron tone

Bertotti and DHart like this.
  7. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Hi Charlie... yes, I've watched that video. It's a good one. And I concur with his conclusions. I find the HS Filter'trons a little on the softer and warmer side also. But still with some sparkle and chime. And the TV Jones definitely have a brighter, more sparkly tone.

He's right - these are the coolest sounding dual-coil pickups! I much prefer them to PAF-type humbuckers, which tend to lack the sparkle that the HS Filter'trons and TV Jones offerings have.

Charlie westside likes this.
  8. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    Darryl's pretty good. It's good the attention that the filters are getting.

9. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Yes, he does a great job with his reviews and tone samples. I'm sure he's making a very substantial income from his YouTube videos. Well deserved, too. There is a lot of money to be made on YouTube if you have a popular channel and work it right!

10. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    great example of them in the Tim Armstrong man salmon, with some effects.. give a listen

DHart and Charlie westside like this.
  11. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    Give me the anni and the creamsicle!

12. Charlie westside

Jul 27, 2018
    Sylmar Califirnia
    I think they sound great. Cool video.

DHart likes this.
  13. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Nice tones... I especially like the Fender Delay pedal!

14. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    The bands I play are all classic rock bands and I play from very clean to medium crunch a la Zeppelin / AC/DC. Since I have never found an amp that does everything well I tend to gravitate to excellent cleans and work on decent distortion through pedals, and yes, I have several distortion pedals.

I really like the distortion I get from HS Filter'trons as the bottom stays tight and they have a midrange presence that cuts through the mix like a razor. They can also make a wonderful clean sound if the amp is capable of lifting the high end of the pickup. As a lifetime Strat guy I don't find Filter'trons to be naturally bright but if the amp can lift the high end they are really, really nice.

I've never had difficulties in getting clean tones out of my six SGs, although in fairness, two have P90s. The others have '57 Classics or Burstbuckers. They do clean and crunch as well as anything else but I prefer the bottom end of the HS Filters for that particular sound..

G5422T likes this.
  15. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I just wish he would take some of that youtube money and buy some fingernail clippers. I can’t stand seeing long fingernails on a Man. It’s just disgusting no matter the purpose.

pmac11 likes this.
  16. DHart

DHart Synchromatic

Jun 26, 2019
    Arizona
    Well, the HS Filter'trons that I bought have finally found their "forever" home.

Of my four Strats, I have one that I experiment on with different pickup designs, and leave the others as more-or-less typical Strats.

So, I popped the HS Filter'trons in this Strat and they sound just awesome on this guitar, plus, I get the feel and handling of a Strat with a very different tone than usually comes out of a Strat. Quite happy with this setup!

Fender 2019 Player Strat +Top, in Cherry Burst, with 2018 Fender '60s Classic Player neck, Tele steel control knobs, Gretsch HS Filter'tron pickups.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

BCRatRod73 and ZackyDog like this.
  17. Joe Hi-LoTron

Joe Hi-LoTron Electromatic

May 19, 2010
    US
    BTs are admittedly copied from the absolute worst era of Gretsch. Who in their right mind would want that?

I stand by Brooklyn made real Gretsches. Tried a Japanese 6128, spent it’s entire existence in the case.
    I have a 5122 won in a contest, heavily modified by Paul Setzer. Used HS filtertrons, changed absolutely everything. Sounded 100x better, lives in the case.

I’m only playing vintage 60s Brooklyn born Gretsches. Next up will be a second 69 Chet Atkins Nashville, Gibson ES295, then next year the search for a Chet Tennessean.

18. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Compared to my ~'66 Black Hawk (Streamliner?) with Supertrons, the 70s era Country Gent with Blacktops I tried, sounded brittle and lacked clarity.

I stand by my modern 2003 - present Gretsches. I tweaked my2005 G6122-1962 to near perfection with a TruArc non-rocking bar bridge, and unpotted, TV Jones neck Classics. I gave the same mods to my 2019 G5230T Pro Jet. Additionally, I use pure 11-48 nickel flat/roundwounds.

[​IMG]

I don't miss my rickety '62 G6120 double cutaway, or '66 Black Hawk (Streamliner?), with their binding rot and unsightly neck resets.

19. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    The BT pickups came with my Rat Rod. I ordered a pair of 1/4" A5 magnets and will do the swap as soon as they arrive. I'm new to the Gretsch and Filter'Tron world so it's just a different pickup to me. I'm guessing I'll get closer to the Filter'Tron sound after the magnet swap. From what I've read that 1/4" magnet is a big part of the sound.

20. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    They look really good in that guitar.

DHart likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.