Tone King amps, anyone try the Gremlin?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by DoubleDropD, Oct 21, 2021.

1. DoubleDropD

DoubleDropD Electromatic

Oct 14, 2021
    Denver
    Seems like a week doesn’t pass that I don’t discover a boutique amp company.

I learned of Tone King last year from their popular Ironman attenuator.

Anyone around here try the Gremlin yet?

pmac11 likes this.
  2. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    I've got the Falcon Grande on my list of future "to buy". Got to drive the 65 miles to Atlanta for the nearest dealer in order to check it out. They're sweet amps for sure.

3. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Nope but I have an Imperial Mark II and I love it.

4. J Bird

J Bird Synchromatic

Here's a glimpse.

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Just in general terms, small amps are great. The best part is, that if you have an open channel on your PA and a spare mic’, a small amp becomes a big amp. I’ve played a number of gigs with a 5 watt, Winfield Typhoon, and through the PA it sounds like a big Surf-Music powerhouse, like a Showman.

6. Roy Clark

Roy Clark Synchromatic

Jun 16, 2017
    Bat cave.
    Yes I love them and want this one.

[​IMG]

pmac11, gtttrrr, Wavey and 1 other person like this.
  7. lordhelmet

lordhelmet Gretschie

Apr 5, 2020
    Germany
    I have the Gremlin and I love it. It is the perfect amp for me: it is very simple to dial in (only 3 knobs), and on the other hand very versatile: blackface and tweed inputs + attenuator. The Gremlin sounds just fantastic on any setting, it also reacts totally different to the guitar, when you use the attenuator.
    There's an emphasis on "cranked blackface and tweed-era tones" in the descriptions and in a lot of demos, but you can easily play both channels clean.
    IMG_20211022_093937.jpg
    Best demo IMO:

Henry, J Bird, DoubleDropD and 2 others like this.
  8. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    I bought this Metropolitan from a neighbour for a very good price. My amp tech discovered it was biased way too hot, and when asking Tone King support, they knew about it, and provided the fix. Sounds like heaven now! I could sit and noodle all day long with any Gretsch and a slapback delay.

upload_2021-10-22_11-17-9.png

db62 and J Bird like this.
  9. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Gretschie

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    While I think there is a niche for a lower wattage, 5W Tone King in the Gremlin model, I think if I'm spending $1,295 MSRP for a combo, I would go get the the Falcon or Falcon Grande with the attenuator. The only advantages I can see with the Gremlin is fewer tube count to replace & a weight consideration. How much of that weight consideration becomes moot with choosing to go with a Gremin head & separate cabinet ? And with the Falcon series, we're looking at an additional power tube really, but you're getting attenuation to 5W territory with the advantage of 20W of output. That's what another $ 600 buys with Tone King.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2021
    rake_ether likes this.
  10. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Owner of a Tone King Imperial 20th Anniversary. That's the one with the Ironman Attenuator and the Celestion Creamback.

These are very high quality amps and they sound like it.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.