Tone and volume controls

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by buddyboy, Jul 30, 2020.

1. Gremalk

Gremalk Newbie

Thanks Synchro,
    here goes;
    The new wiring loom, made up on a template using the original pickups, switches and output jack with new pots and Orange Drops. upload_2020-8-3_21-42-50.png

Pneumatic tube turned out to be perfect for installation, although had to be warmed a bit to fit on the pot spindles. All in through the neck pickup hole: upload_2020-8-3_21-44-14.png

Relieved when it was all in!
    upload_2020-8-3_21-49-6.png

lathoto, calebaaron666 and new6659 like this.
  2. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Great work in laying out the harness.

3. cvr31

cvr31 Gretschie

I have the tone switch on both of my Gretsch guitars. I rarely use it, and when I do I only really like the down position. The up position is too muddy for me. I am considering replacing the switch with a tone pot to take just a bit of the bright edge off the sound. I had the tone pot on one of my previous 6120s with Dynas, and I really liked the way it worked.

4. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I use the switch a little bit on my 6120 Smoke. I think they may have tweaked the cap values in that model a bit.

However, what I do most of the time is leave both pickups on with the master volume down a bit to clean it up, and the tone switch off. Then I use the neck volume as a bass cut, and the bridge volume as a treble cut.

5. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I think that they are using .012 uF and .0039 uF pretty much across the board, these days. Just a few years ago, the values were different.

ruger9 and sgarnett like this.
  6. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    I prefer the master tone control. It interacts with the volume controls (3).

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.