Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Time To Burn My Guitars

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Gretschman2, Mar 15, 2017.

1. capnhiho

capnhiho Electromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I would never burn my guitars - although I would make them available to someone who actually has talent....

But I am sometimes tempted to give up and cut off my fingers. :eek:

BTW - I find the above T shirt quite appropriate!;)

Gretschman2 likes this.
  2. cowmoo

cowmoo Country Gent

Aug 19, 2011
    North Wales
    Having to play solos bores me to bits. Short, sweet and to the point is as far as they should go, but i also find enjoyment in curmudgeonism

3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

May 4, 2016
    Tennessee
    I remember when I had been playing the drums for about 4 years, and I ran across a youtube video of a 6 year old playing the drums. I also gave up after seeing it. That 6 year old was playing better than I ever will. Still, I love to play the drums, and I feel the same about the guitar (it still bugs me a little bit, though ;)).

Gretschman2 likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska
    I'm just glad that I'm pretty good at what puts food in the table. If I were relying on music for that, even IF I was fantastic, I think I'd be pretty hungry.

Difference between a musician and a pepperoni pizza, you might ask??

The pepperoni pizza can feed a family of 4!

6. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Bremerton, WA
    Oh no, I will never quit. I was just trying to be humorous with the title of this thread and my opening statement. In retrospect, I should have named it something else like "Check This Out" or something to that effect. But it probably wouldn't have drawn as many views and comments. My main purpose was to share the videos I ran across of a young Bulgarian girl who obviously loves playing guitar. Remember that other thread a short while back about whether the guitar was going away or not ? Well, obviously not so with youngsters like her still picking it up.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    MotorCentaur likes this.
  7. Setzerhotrod

Setzerhotrod Synchromatic

Oct 26, 2011
    Anchorage Alaska

I've always found it more fun to run on and on playing a solo than to have to listen to someone else doing it. Of course if you're forced to listen to it, it may as well not hurt the ears.

Sad, in this day of mass information, even if I can be enticed to "click" play, I usually don't make it more than 15 seconds..... Guy on the street: "Hey man, here's a "free" copy of my new CD. Most of us: Uh, no thanks man.....

8. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Bremerton, WA
    Looks like she only has one guitar, and I remember the days when I used to play through my stereo because I didn't have much money. I blew a few of them up too, which then cost me money to replace. Glad that's not the case anymore.

ishtar likes this.
  9. stevo

stevo Country Gent

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    She's quite skilled. She has serious chops and can really turn it into something some day if she keeps it up - it makes me jealous. I like to see young folks like that who are willing to put in the time and effort to get to that level. Thanks for sharing.

But it's not something I would spend time listening to. Give me Mike Campbell or David Gilmour all day long. Simple, but really tasteful both of them. And I can listen to Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers or Pink Floyd all day long.

I did see Joe Satriani a few years ago and thought, "will this be boring?" No, it wasn't boring. He played his pants off for three hours with a 5 minute break in between. And it was captivating, just really fun to watch and listen to. Eric Johnson opened for him and played on one tune. Johnson was boring. Satriani was awesome.

So what's the difference?

ishtar, MotorCentaur and Gretschman2 like this.
  10. Whiteomatic

Whiteomatic Gretschie

Nov 24, 2016
    Arizona
    I kinda got a thing for GS10s drummer.

Thats what I thought. Good playing, terrible tone. Maybe we could all chip in and get her a decent amp.

I don't need a Gretsch version. Where can I get one?

11. guitarmike

guitarmike Gretschie

Oct 13, 2015
    Montreal
    If listening to a better player is a reason to burn our guitar, then there would be only 1 player
    on the planet.

MotorCentaur, Gretschman2 and ishtar like this.
  12. DrumBob

DrumBob Country Gent

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I think your attempt at Afro/American dialect is both unintelligible and a bit offensive.

ishtar likes this.
  13. My girl friend has threatened to glue all my guitars together, but never burn them. If my guitars were in a fire, I'd grab my dog, then my 6120...

Gretschman2 likes this.
  14. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Country Gent

May 4, 2016
    Tennessee
    I understood Gretscman2, and I was just attempting to add a bit more humor to the thread. I'll never give up either, because I simply enjoy playing.

I do admit that when I see a young person playing so well, I do wonder what I could have accomplished if I had started playing drums/guitar at a young age. As much as I hated the clarinet (mainly because it wasn't a drum), I did learn about playing music. When I did start playing drums (at 52) and guitar (at 44), I did have that little bit of musical knowledge to draw from.

MotorCentaur and ishtar like this.
  15. QUOTE "...Difference between a musician and a pepperoni pizza....??

The pepperoni pizza can feed a family of 4!"

Amen, I agree. However....

Mods, can we have this removed for the religious-politcal nature of this post, due to this pizza scripture?

16. But not offensive if the poster is interpreting the sounds he or she hears, based on his/her experiences.... Isn't that what a cover song is all about, now?....

For a human to be offensive, all they have to do is be human.

17. DrumBob

DrumBob Country Gent

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    You can say whatever you want, but it would be deemed offensive by most African/Americans, and it's offensive and demeaning to me.

ishtar likes this.
  18. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Bremerton, WA
    Interesting, I started my musical interest on the clarinet also. :)

LivingMyDream likes this.
  19. That's it.

When someone utters there is an offense, there is an offense.

But, at the same time, not everyone is as enlightened as the other that is more enlightened.

I guess it is time to educate.

But, like evangelicals on tv, who tell me what Jesus and God thinks, who is able to speak for most People of Divergence- African-American, Gay, Goofy, Beautiful, Talented?...

I am just saying that not everyone is going to have the broad approach you do, DBob. And regardless of your actual heritage or experience, there's a lot of variables and variations between those involved in being a group ad demographic. Except we are all human, whatever that might mean///

20. Clarinet-> guitar makes a lot of sense, in some ways....

Gretschman2 likes this.
  21. DrumBob

DrumBob Country Gent

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I guess so. I've expressed my opinion and the post has been reported to the admins.