Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Time To Burn My Guitars

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Gretschman2, Mar 15, 2017.

1. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Bremerton, WA
    Whenever I see young kids like Bulgaria's Eva Vergilova smoke the fretboard like this it makes me want to use my guitars for kindling. Amazing talent she is at such a young age. Check out these vids and you'll see what I mean.

JimB1122 likes this.
  2. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    You know what Frank Zappa called the shredders that were coming up in the 80's?

Stenographers.

I didn't watch the vids, I think I have seen her before, I'm sure she's nice and a great player. Which is all besides the point I'm trying to make.

It's not the speed or virtuosity by itself that makes the music (powerful/enjoyable/soulful/etc.) it's the feeling.

Most importantly it's the feeling that playing an instrument creates for you...

emitex, benjwri and Gretschman2 like this.
  3. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Bremerton, WA

I know what you're saying, and I wholeheartedly agree. But she definitely shows feeling in the first vid. The second one is more of a shredding display I'll admit. I've been watching other stuff she's done too and she does inject a lot of feeling in much of what she plays. Such a beautiful young lady too.

BTW, I would never burn my guitars. I just get a little jealous sometimes and that's what I say when I'm being a smart ass. :eek:

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    MotorCentaur likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. Staggerlee

Staggerlee Country Gent

Jul 19, 2012
    Twin Cities
    I like the guitar girl with the big boobs. They tend to distract me from feeling like a total failure at guitar.

6. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Gretschie

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Are you hip to this jive?
    I just call it the "Baby Metal" genre/ phenom after the band, they were the first of their type I was aware of.

This other band Gacharic Spin are all talented.

There's some Gretsch content in the first vid> looks like an old stereo Falcon.

She's the drummer as well. I think she has the best voice out of the group. She really belts it out in this one.

And their is a pretty great keyboard solo here...

Even if it's not one's cup of tea, surely they can appreciate their musical fluency and high energy...

moltenmagna and Gretschman2 like this.
  7. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Bremerton, WA
    I agree, high energy for sure. Wish I had 1/10 th of that these days. :p

benjwri likes this.
  8. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Its starting to get creepy here

......time to take your medicine

jklotz, TSims1, Dave-B and 2 others like this.
  9. Byron

Byron Gretschie

Sep 4, 2009
    uk
    You slay me Tavo!

Gretschman2 likes this.
  10. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Gretschie

May 20, 2016
    Australia
    Burn my guitars because of that - never.

For me this is an example of the guitarist taking over the song.

Great playing but has it's place somewhere else.

11. Gretschman2

Gretschman2 Country Gent

Apr 8, 2013
    Bremerton, WA
    Like I said earlier in my response to MotorCentaur, I was just being a smart ass about that. I do admire the young lass' talent though. I wish I had been that good at her age.

12. thunder58

thunder58 Friend of Fred

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    WHAT WAS THAT !!!!.....lol

13. Ricochet

Ricochet Friend of Fred

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Hmm, she's(Eva) very easy on the eyes. The paint-by-numbers guitar playing here leaves me cold though and I like shred. She has better videos. Would like to hear her playing through a proper amp. Sounds like she's using a cheapo multi-effector through the hifi stereo.

Whiteomatic and Gretschman2 like this.
  14. Dave-B

Dave-B Gretschie

May 23, 2016
    Scotland
    Feeling and subtlety will come later, right now she's learning the mechanics of music, and is doing great.

I think it's great that kids (super-talented like Eva or not) can upload their musical efforts to YT. For those don't play in a band, it's a great way to elevate their goals and build their skills. But the Internet can be cruel. My daughter is working hard on her drumming, and wants to upload some videos to show off to her friends & family. But the risk of creepy feedback that a girl playing drums would inevitably get worries me.

Gretschman2, Roger49 and Henry like this.
  15. Ricochet

Ricochet Friend of Fred

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Eva may be older than she looks. Not sure how old, but she's no kid.

I understand your daughter's reservation. YT is out of control. She could keep the comment section off. Also I think you can keep videos private.

Henry and Dave-B like this.
  16. stiv

stiv Gretschie

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I think the whole internet world is becoming out of control. Social media above all.
    Thank god places like GT still exist. I always come here to read some news when I'm sick of people on the internet...:)

Gretschman2 and Ricochet like this.
  17. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I thought @MotorCentaur was saying "It's more about how YOU feel when YOUR playing"

I took it lees like critiquing their energy or lack of feeling in their playing. There will always be classical musicians, and rock musicians.

Classical players are like stenographers... Focusing on notation, timing, ability, technique. When I was a music major it was incredibly difficult to re-learn how to play music this way after playing by "feel" for so long. It was so hard to learn how to read music because after the first couple times playing the song I'd just start playing from memory...

18. jklotz

jklotz Gretschie

Mar 24, 2013
    Atlanta
    I think it's great. It influences kids to pick up and learn the guitar, which, IMHO, keeps guitar playing alive. I mean, there are more kids that play a computer with a turn table these days that think they are playing music than people actually learning an instrument. I realize things go in phases, I'm sure guitar music will come back to the mainstream at some point. But anything that pushes the instrument forward and keeps motivating folks to learn and play it is a good thing in my book.

This guy is not quite as young, but a good bit younger than me, and equally impressive. This is more of my liking musically speaking:

moltenmagna, Gretschman2 and Frank_NH like this.
  19. JHowdy

JHowdy Country Gent

Nov 16, 2013
    Finland
    Remember this! If there was Gretsch version of this shirt I'd buy one at once :cool:.

[​IMG]

20. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Technically she's a fine player. Very clean and precise. But five minutes of Free Bird "jamming"?? It sounded just OK to me, although somewhat outside the more bluesy vibe of the original song.

I'm also not astonished at her virtuosity, as we have technically great young players in all genres of music - ESPECIALLY classical music. Check out some YouTube videos of 12 and 13 year virtuoso violinists playing Bach or Paganini.

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
  21. Frank_NH

Frank_NH Synchromatic

Mar 25, 2013
    Lebanon, NH
    Love it!! My kind of shred. :D