thoughts on the Gretsch G6129T Players Edition Jet FT with Bigsby Silver Sparkle

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by GOOBALL JEFF, Sep 28, 2020.

1. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    I wont give you my life story but I have waited years to be able to buy a guitar of this standard again. I have spent the past three years being pretty broke but the day is finally upon me! of all the guitars I could buy which at this point is anything I wanted I can only really think of one that does it all for me, yes a gretsch. I know a lot of you don't like tension bar bigsby's but I don't have a problem with them, the reason I like the players edition is because the fixed tune-o-matic bridge style bridge the strap locks the string through bigsby, the modern touches to a classic design that are very subtle but functional. what do you guys think of them because this guitar will soon be mine. cheers! s-l1600 (1).jpg

2. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Gretschie

Sep 11, 2009
    Venice, CA
    I think this guitar is great! I would actually prefer a fixed bridge on my Duo Jet.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  3. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    I actually prefer the look of the Duo Jet but i'm way to o.c.d for things to be moving around, I could always tape the bridge down or something but I just want something I don't have to mod at all. this was on my radar but as you can see the bridge has slipped - s-l1600.jpg

mrfixitmi, ZackyDog and Back in Black like this.
  4. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    GBJ,

Way cool!

The original sparkle jets were always a particular favorite of mine, only ever saw a few, and never one for sale.

Congratulations, and good to here that life is working out for you again.

Very Best,

BIB.
    GBJ,

The Space bar bridge is easy to peg, and the pegs can be unseen from the top.

You would use a tiny number drill bit, and two stainless pins. Pins could be removed at a later date and the holes filled with silver sparkle lacquer, color sanded and buffed out.

If you have a choice between the two, take the Sparkle Duo Jet. With the Duo Jet, your investment $$$ will always be safe.

BIB.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  5. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Easiest "mod" in the world to keep a floating bridge in place.

Once and done.

20200116_210250.jpg

How easy is it? Even I can do it!

section2, audept, mrfixitmi and 5 others like this.
  6. Back in Black

Back in Black Gretschie

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    G,

Even better!!

BIB.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  7. speedicut

speedicut Friend of Fred

Jun 5, 2012
    Alabama
    Yeah, the rosin works great, I have floating bridges on all my Gretschs and it keeps them in position wonderfully...warm it up and rub it over the bridge base.
    Easy-peezy, George and Weezy!

ZackyDog and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  8. Fredo

Fredo Synchromatic

Jan 18, 2010
    Georgia, USA
    I never had a problem with tension bars. I've strung over them and under them and the feel was the same either way. Tuning stability was the same either way too. My experience was with a 5129 and my 5435(or 5438?)T in my avatar. I understand that some Pro Jets have Bigsby's positioned too close to the bridge but I get no hangups.

I like the Players' Editions but they might be hard to sell because some don't like the tension bars.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  9. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    [​IMG]

Very nice, especially sans tension bar.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  10. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I've used thin double sided sticky tape before.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  11. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Totally understand the broke point, so great to hear you being back on track.

You can't go wrong with the players edition jets, if they are anything in feel like my 5230T they are very comfortable and really nice to play, different feel to traditional jet though, and the silver sparkle is one of the coolest looking guitars around with out a doubt.

BUT I don't think you should be either of those.......

http://www.streetsoundsnyc.com/gret...elect-white-penguin-guitar-with-bigsby-ss2237

Just sayin.....

mrfixitmi and GOOBALL JEFF like this.
  12. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Glad that you "arrived ".

13. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Synchromatic

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Congratulations! Good things come to those who wait, and I would be hard pressed to find a better balanced guitar. It has outstanding looks plus a fixed bridge without having to tape or add rosin to hold it steady. This way you can spend more time playing than worrying if your bridge is moving. The string through bigsby with the fixed bridge will make string changes easy. IMHO, since I work/worked in a repair shop, the more time I can play and the less time working on a guitar is music to my ears.

GOOBALL JEFF likes this.
  14. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    ah well it was a white penguin I wanted originally but my girlfriend says the silver sparkle is the nicest guitar she has ever seen so that sways me a bit.

Stefan87 likes this.
  15. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    up or over is what i was thinking to do anyway just in case the strings hit the bridge at the back, i do like the look of a bigsby without the tension bar much more but you can't have it all it seems.

16. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    thanks buddy
    does it count that I have been playing and loving my electromatics for years, did I arrive a long time ago in that case? Unbenannt.jpg

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
  17. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    Good things come to those who wait is what I have always said to myself and I totally agree with everything you said about just playing and not worrying if the bridge is moving, more music less fiddling!

mrfixitmi likes this.
  18. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ahh, now though I totally agree that the significant others opinion does matter (I have a few things that I would prefer something else but my wife likes them so they stay and I settle for it lol) you have to play it and enjoy it at the end of the day, not saying to go against her just saying don't let a dream get away on another persons opinion.

Funnily enough though, when I got my white penguin I was so excited and thought it was the nicest guitar I own, her response when I asked if she liked it 'it looks alright, I like the black one better' then follows up with 'but I like the silver one the best out of all of them', so guess the ladies like silver.

Either way, with your BWJ double cut and silver sparkle duo jet you will have 2 of the nicest looking gretschs around.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.