This is why I love Strats

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by radd, Oct 15, 2020.

1. Lacking Talent

Lacking Talent Synchromatic

Aug 5, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    My avatar does that with every post!

2. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    So much fun you can have with strats:

Zeek, LivingMyDream, manunk and 3 others like this.
  3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Those Duo-Trons sound as good in the Strat as they do in my DuoJet!

G5422T and larryr like this.
  4. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    After playing my Doozy and Les Paul pretty exclusively lately, tonight I grabbed the Strat for the first time in maybe 6 weeks.

It just felt right. Easy playing, great sounding, no frills comfortable instrument. I love everything about it. It's the guitar that makes me sound great without me having to think about what i'm playing. It doesn't make me "work" like other instruments. I can just enjoy the music.

I then handed it to my guitarist buddy who just didnt get it. He looked at me like I was completely nuts for loving such a "bland" instrument. "It's JUST a Strat".

What does he know eh...;)

LivingMyDream and G5422T like this.
  5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    :D

6. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Gretschie

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    I went without a Strat for a long time, and looking back, I don't know why I did. I really like them, and I play a few now. They've got a great voice to my ear, and they're extremely comfortable for me to play.

radd likes this.
  7. wilblee

wilblee Country Gent

May 23, 2013
    TX Hill Country
    Now that my gigging days are more or less behind me, I’ve returned to my Strats more. So glad I didn’t get rid of them during their idle time. A fair amount of time and money went into getting them into their current configurations.

All American Deluxes/FSRs 2000-2008, all modded and therefore named.

Ronnie - Vneck, Kinman Big Nine 0s
    [​IMG]

Mr. Natural - Kinman Extra Vintage bridge, AVn 59s neck and middle.
    [​IMG]

Goldie - FSR with Vintage Noiseless lipsticks w/ Hot Vintage bridge lipstick. I never liked the Vintage/Hot Vintage set until I heard these lipsticks. Came with ebony board.
    [​IMG]

Big Cat - my other ebony board FSR. Kinman P-90s.
    [​IMG]

The Green Genie - GFS Dream 180s/Protube lipstick. Middle knob is a Turnstyle switch. It’s an all analog circuit that changes the flavor of the N&B pickups. My favorite gigging guitar before I got the DGT and the 6121.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Xochi2, Waxhead, new6659 and 6 others like this.
  8. larryr

larryr Synchromatic

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.
    20201031_115815.jpeg This Strat started life with a P90 and a humbucker. It belonged to my friend Debbie. The top pic is the end result of my conversion back. Great sounding guitar.

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I don't find Strats particularly attractive guitars.
    Even Fender's custom shop Strats are boring imo.
    Strats sound good though and are pretty versatile but 1 is enough for me.
    If I wanted a top of line Strat I wouldn't go a Fender - I'd prefer a G&L.

Mine is unusual in being a 97 Strat Plus MIA with Lace Sensor Hot Golds, Clapton tone pots and a stainless steel wilkinson roller nut that delivers the best trem system I've ever played. You can totally dive bomb the strings and it bounces back into perfect tune.

As Strats are so visually boring I decided to Jazz mine up with a pickguard :eek:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2020
    Xochi2 likes this.
  10. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Interesting you say G&L. When I got the bug for another Strat I was really into getting a G&L. I bought a higher end American Fullerton made one on line, a Fullerton Deluxe Legacy. It went back quick. The E strings were to close to fingerboard edge for me, it didn’t have a quality feel or a neck shape I liked and the tone was just not there for me.

My Clapton Strat I had was far superior as are the two I have now, a Eric Johnson Strat and a Jimmie Vaughan Strat that cost about half what that G&L cost.

G&L

14980398-752D-4002-B40A-09EAC5F00AD3.jpg

Clapton Strat

7900D498-CB72-4CE1-A3C6-A99AEA83F156.jpeg

Eric Johnson

91E43199-9433-4ADB-8613-53094225C588.jpeg

Jimmie Vaughan

D9D3F2D0-782B-47D9-A11B-CA82DF1932BF.jpeg

Xochi2, Mr Swisher, G5422T and 2 others like this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Ok I've only played one G&L and it didn't have that E string issue you mentioned.
    I like this blue and black Skyhawk - Sweetwater have it for $1700.
    Their video is worth watching also

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SkyhawkCLFCB--g-and-l-clf-research-skyhawk-clear-blue

12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Mr Swisher and Waxhead like this.
  13. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Gretschie

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    Oh, and here are three of mine:

Strats.jpg

I really dig these guitars.

14. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Here's another one from my Japanese luthier friend, built to 1966 specs with rosewood fretboard and large headstock. I sold this one and still regret it (I was hurting for $$ at the time) At least it went to a good friend!
    DSC_9579MID.jpg DSC_9571MID.jpg

15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Oh my. Stunning Strat

audept likes this.
  16. audept

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Another friend's '62 style Strat. This one has been very extensively used:
    ST62 sunburst front.jpg ST62 sunburst back.jpg

17. OleDangy

OleDangy Electromatic

Oct 23, 2020
    JC Tennessee
    I have a Suhr Strat if that counts. It's the HSS with rosewood. I had a few cheaper strats back in the day and never really got along with them. I have had this one a few years and I really enjoy it. I "decked" the bridge and I like it that way better. My Gretsch has a Bigsby and I frickin love the Bigsby. Any other tremolo gets hard tailed.
    But yeah, I digress. Part of the strat thing is getting used to the scale length. The space you put your fingers in between the frets is physically bigger and looking at it messes with your head if you're used to Gretsch or even Gibson fretboards. Lastly, I keep my strat in Eb. They live there very nicely. Even the low e (technically Eb) has a great thud to it. Even in a clean amp. I would take the 6120 over it everytime, but strats are cool when you get used to them.

Mr Swisher likes this.
  18. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I really wanted a Suhr Strat, they are beautiful and highly regarded. The problem for me is that they usually have a very narrow nut and that does not work for me.

19. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I've only got the one Strat, but I've had it for 38 years and recently tried to find another to go with it...nothing found that I liked enough to buy and that included some of the more expensive MIA models and some Eric Johnson/Eric Clapton models too.

I've been using it for a covers band I started in recently as like someone else said above, it just feels so easy to play, even stuff I find hard on my other guitars seems to come easier on the Strat. I put an Eric Clapton mid boost in it a couple of years ago and this really opened up the range of sounds I can get from it, so it's perfect for the covers band.

The some it's 'just a Squier' though others might recognise that it's one of the original first series made in Japan. It's been resprayed 3 times now (twice by me, the last in nitro back to the original 2 tone scheme, although it was originally poly), plus a re-fret as they were so worn. It played better than ever after the re-fret/levelling as the guy does superb work.

Strat finished.jpg

This close up shows some natural wear on the fingerboard (this is a poly finished neck too of course):
    IMG_3068.jpg

It's effectively a '57 re-issue, so has low vintage frets and 7.25" radius, but I don't know any different before the days of the internet: I can bend as much as I want without it chocking out. I've got 9.5 radius Fenders now, but it's surprising how you just 'got on with it' back in the old days. :)

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    new6659, G5422T and GreTschocaster like this.
  20. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Gretschie

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    Thanks for sharing the video. What really caught my ear was how much more I preferred the tone of BB Kings Gibson over the strats.

Mr Swisher likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.