This is why I love Strats

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by radd, Oct 15, 2020 at 7:14 PM.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I set mine up with a master tone/master volume and converted the other tone to a neck pickup blender. It’s a fairly common mod and I really like the extra tones I can get.

BuddyHollywood and radd like this.
  2. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    While not my first choice, I do have a CV-50 and a MIM Standard. Everyone should have at least on Strat in their arsenal.

Telechamp likes this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Ya, the volume knob can get bumped easily. My solution has been to cut a piece of felt the size of the knob base and put that over the pot shaft then put the knob back on. It adds just enough friction to the turning of the knob that it usually does not move when I bump it.

F8EA3FA1-4EAE-4AC4-ACFB-5882ED9088B0.jpeg F0868CD9-A621-4DA4-92B3-FA9DCB904B48.jpeg

4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    radd likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I've gotten used to the volume pot placement by now but I've found that it HAS to be a new tight pot, an old freely spinning pot will get changed out for one with good resistance. I had an old Strat with a pot that had been cleaned way too many times, you could breathe on it and turn it.

radd likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I'm going to jam today, think its a Strat/Twin Reverb kinda day;)

Telechamp, TSims1 and radd like this.
  7. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

In the early 80’s my performance rig was a Strat and a Twin Reverb. Even being a young guy lugging that amp around was no fun, but it sure sounded good.

Telechamp, new6659 and stevo like this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    It sounds awesome right now! 20201018_124005.jpg

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    This one is extra bleak to carry, SRO's!
    One of the best ive heard though, it can do anything, any gig i could imagine.

radd likes this.
  10. DangerousD

DangerousD Electromatic

Thursday
    Colorado
    I'm with you guys. I have a MIM but it just collects dust. Don't like the neck and really don't like the sound. It just doesn't feel right. Gonna give it to a nephew so at least it will get played.

11. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Synchromatic

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    I bought one for the color, Daphne Blue, 60's. It does not get played much, but I will keep it for when I get better?! It is a beautiful MIM.

radd likes this.
  12. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc

Exactly the one I had, Classic series, 50's headstock, ceramic pups, MIM. What a looker, huh? :)

panhead6zero likes this.
  13. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Better change your forum name to Stratochamp! :D:p

Telechamp and radd like this.
  14. Telechamp

Telechamp Country Gent

Oct 20, 2010
    Tampa Bay
    Yeah, but I have more Teles than Strats!! :eek:

[​IMG]

15. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I was waiting for this! Lol

Telechamp and audept like this.
  16. MadKaw

MadKaw Electromatic

Apr 17, 2020
    Michigan, USA
    I just got my first Strat... a '50s Classic Vibe.
    And I'm just finishing putting my Starcaster together. Well, it says "Starcaster" on the headstock, but it's a Strat with a humbucker in the bridge position.

17. Berington

Berington Electromatic

Jan 6, 2014
    Los Angeles
    True! When George was young and few decent guitars could be found for sale in England, a Fender Strat was George's dream guitar! And what he's done on 'em... whew! "Something" and so many others! But isn't it fortuitous that he found his Gretsch DuoJet for 75lb from a sailor in Hamburg? That was THE sound that launched The Beatles, and can be heard on some of their biggest original hits, til he got his first Gent! There was a George Harrison exhibition many years ago at the Grammy Museum here in L.A. Many of his guitars were featured, tho' his Gent and Tennie were notoriously missing... various rumors of their fates. But my 2 favorites, of course, were his black Duo-Jet and his iconic (#2 ever built) Rickenbacker 365-12, which of course was much of the "chord heard around the world!" ("A Hard Day's Night" opening chord) Very exciting to see those, and think of what came from them!

Telechamp, BuddyHollywood and radd like this.
  18. gretsch-to-go

gretsch-to-go Electromatic

Oct 2, 2019
    Palm Coast, FL
    With a Squier 2005 Bullet (Baltic Blue) & 2016 Affinity Strat (Black), they are excellent instruments. If I were pressed for a grail Strat, would have to say a Malmstein Buttercream with scalloped fretboard. The Bullet is actually my favorite of the 2 that I do have. SSS HT, it needed more TLC than the other guitars I have, so there's a bonding thing with it, was $ 25 as the abused & neglected challenge. Prior owner set up the truss rod as an elf slipper bow, the single scalloped neck, nut to neck pocket. After a pains taking effort to eventually get the neck straight & flat, toothpicks to get screws to hold it together, it's a solid playing instrument again. Parking lot purchase at an Aldi, so that's the name it was given.

radd likes this.
  19. rockinstephen

rockinstephen Electromatic

Some other great Strat players: Jeff Beck, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray, Ritchie Blackmore, Mark Knopfler. Yngwie Malmsteen, David Gilmour, Eric Johnson, Terry Kath, the list goes on...

radd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.