This is why I love Strats

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by radd, Oct 15, 2020 at 7:14 PM.

1. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I'm on my 5th Strat in 30 years,and if i'm honest the best one i ever owned was an early 90's Japanese 50's 2 tone burst,should never have gotten rid of that wee geet.

I currently own a 60th Annie 1954 .
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 4:19 PM
  2. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Don’t forget the Swede for speed, Yngwie Malmsteen, still going real strong!

MrWookiee, stevo and Mr Swisher like this.
  3. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    I've noticed that on FB and CL almost all the cheap beginner's guitars (and sets w/amps) are Strat clones, must be a bazillion of them out there.
    And the Squier Bullet Strat isn't terrible and sometimes on sale for as low as $130 new. A beginner could do much worse.

4. peterjcb

peterjcb Gretschie

Nov 28, 2017
    USA
    I only own one Strat now....a '69 Fender CS relic'd Hendrix style with reverse headstock....it's one of my go-to favorites that I pick up all the time along with my 6120 Setzer HR and a custom reliced Tele....My top 3 fav's.

20170814_153127-2.jpg

5. Mr Swisher

Mr Swisher Synchromatic

Jun 12, 2012
    England
    Wow!! That is special!

peterjcb likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I owned about a dozen of Fender Strats over the years and I really never really bonded with one of them. Today I own a Fender Hendrix model which comes close to my preferences but I am still not there.
    It`s the same with Les Pauls. It is a constant search for "the one".

radd likes this.
  7. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Wow. That looks great. Visually close to my MIM but I bet that this feels and sounds CS.

peterjcb likes this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I forgot to write for what I like atbout Strats:
    They are very ergononic, virtually undestructable and have a great three-dimensional tone. Especially on the neck-pickup. I like that they are easy to service and easy to modify. Nice to have all these aftermarket options to individualize them.
    I like the fact that they are offered with maple boards and that they are usually a lot more lightweight compared to a Gibson LP.
    I like that there are so many different neckshapes bodywoods and colours available.
    With me the problem is that you rarely find a Strat that combines all the right ingredients in one instrument.

9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Just finished Jimi-fying my black Squier, LH stagger GFS Alnico's all new wiring and components, its a ripper now. 16029515858881559984575.jpg

peterjcb, Ricochet, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  10. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    I so relate to your post. It actually has been a source of angst with me. I have had a few Strats and Tele's and a G&L strat. For whatever reason I couldn't bond. Totally on me, not the guitars. Same on a PRS, 5120 and Duo Jet. I currently have a 56 Dano U-2 , Chinese Corvette and Republic Crossroads Tricone I'm bonded with and a Les Paul that is the best instrument I own but not totally in love with, go figure LOL

11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    I get it

I love the strat tones and the feel of a Strat but it took a long time to find the right combination of features; 12” radius, soft V medium or medium chunky neck, Maple board and one of the toughest features to find lately, medium jumbo frets.

My new to me 2006 Eric Johnson Strat meets those needs with stunning craftsmanship and high end components along with a touch of uniqueness.

EE20F34E-ED8F-4CF4-AAE6-335D4BCAB742.jpeg

12. chicago slim

chicago slim Gretschie

Dec 27, 2008
    Bowling Green, KY
    I've turned into a total Strat guy. I don't claim that they are the best guitars. I also had nice Gretsch and PRS guitars. But one day, they were all I wanted to play.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 8:22 PM
  13. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    You're right, I actually meant to include him.

14. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

As some of you might remember from earlier posts, I didn't start out a Strat lover. I started out liking thinner necks, so I wasn't sure I'd ever like a Strat, let alone love one. My Strat journey started with a used Midnight Blue Strat with a rosewood fretboard. It was beautiful, with a color that would change from deep blue to purple in the right lights. The price was right, so I bought it from the salesman (it was his Strat that he was selling) and eventually realized that I was getting adjusted to the feel of the Strat. My next Strat was a MIM HSS Artic White Strat with a maple fretboard that was so badly setup, that the young man was letting it go cheap enough for me to take a chance on it. With a little professional help, it turned out to be great player that put me on the track of maple neck Strats.

I currently have 4, with each one a little different. I do love my Gretsch guitars, an Ibanez AM93 semi-hollow, and my acoustics, but when I am practicing around the house, I always reach for a Strat. When I play in front of others, it depends a lot on the songs I will play, and a lot on my mood when I am choosing a guitar(s). It's just that the Strats are so comfortable to play, and with the right amp, it's absolutely a heavenly sound.

Fender Stratocasters 1.JPG

15. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
  16. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

Great collection!

17. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

That guitar is absolutely stunning!

74EC3246-2E66-4324-8E78-865876A33404.jpeg

audept likes this.
  18. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Always liked Strat tones but the volume knob placement drove me crazy. This body was rescued from the Corona dumpster a few years back and I got the matching MIM flamed neck to go with it. Volume pulls out to turn the neck pickup on so I can get all 7 pickup combinations. Don't play it much but I have very little into it and it's there when I have the desire :)

Strat.jpg

19. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Fender just rolled out the new American Pro II series and the reviews are very good. A little rich for my budget at $1500 but many of us would not need to spend any more than that.

One feature I like is a push-push tone knob that adds the neck pickup to the mix. Pos 1 would be B+N, pos 2 is all three pickups. I'm going to check into buying that pot to add to my Strats.

Mr Swisher and radd like this.
  20. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Great looking instrument!

radd likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.