This is why I love Strats

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by radd, Oct 15, 2020 at 7:14 PM.

1. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Yes I love Gretschs but Gretsch’s cousin Fender makes another guitar I love, the Strat.

Here is an example, three Strat’s, three epic guitar players, Clapton, Jimmie Vaughan and Robert Cray all jamming on the Thrill is Gone with BB, another great.

So few notes played yet to me it is simply captivating. BB is no longer in his prime, but he starts it and appears to really enjoy watching and listening to those three.

Yup, an old vid most of us have seen many times, those notes and the feeling those notes express never gets old for me.

Enjoy

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I love what others can do with them, but I just haven't been able to bond with a Strat. Clapton and Gilmour and Knopfler all use them, but I just don't get along with it. A Tele, yes, just not a Strat.

emitex, Shadowy_Man, RG7X and 3 others like this.
  3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Had a nice Strat years back. Sold it, and I do miss having a Strat in the fold.

I still prefer a Tele, but a Strat does put me in a different playing mindset.

They're just another "tool" for a different musical vibe IMO.

Some year, might have another one.

4. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    Strats, Teles, Gretschies...
    I love them all.

5. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    I love Strats. My number one since my first one at 16 years old. I still have my 1973 I purchased new and have shared my life with. Wives come and go, children grow up and move away, my wonderful dogs grow old and die, but my old blue Strat remains. I love that guitar.

I've tried many of the quality facsimiles. Still own a G&L Comanche and two Albert Lees, but nothing is better than the original.

6. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    When I started collecting I knew I had to buy a real Fender Strat. Got a beautiful MIM, best I could afford, and it is an incredibly versatile instrument. I love it and as they say, everyone needs one.
    It just feels right in your arms, doesn't it? Leo designed it to be more comfortable and it really is.
    The Strat sound is just incredible and so varied, it will do anything.
    4 Fender Stratocaster Plus Top Aged Cherry Burst.jpg

Then I got a deal on a G&L Legacy; a fantastic Strat with the G&L edge. Another great one I will always have in my collection.
    9 G&L Tribute Legacy Irish Ale.jpg

Last edited: Oct 16, 2020 at 4:53 AM
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’ve mainly played other makes and models but I started out on a cheap MIJ Strat clone.
    Despite the instrument’s idiosyncrasies, every time I pick one up it feels a bit like coming home. I have a Squier CV and a US Fender. The neck pickup is where it’s at.

BuddyHollywood and GlenP like this.
  8. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I've been through many Strats, more than 10, maybe 20. I have two Squiers right now that just work for me, re-did all the electronics of course so they sound as good as any but at a very nice price.

radd likes this.
  9. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Gretschie

Nov 18, 2019
    Beaverton, OR, USA
    I've mainly played Strats through the years. I just bought my first Gretsch in November last year, and I think it's a good guitar, but I still think Strats are more comfortable to play. I like the sounds you can get from a Strat too - and ther eare many variations of a Strat, so you can probably find one for a variety of desired tones.

BuddyHollywood and radd like this.
  10. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Stratocasters and their ilk kill the artists who use them. Count the dead.

Jimi Hendrix
    Stevie Ray Vaughan
    Prince
    Rory Gallagher
    Buddy Holly
    Ritchie Valens
    Kurt Cobain
    Eddie Van Halen.
    Roy Buchanan.
    Johnny Ramone.

All strat type players. All dead. Avoid at all costs. Its science.

11. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Great video - thanks for sharing. Love the color of Clapton's Strat BTW.

Is it just me or is it strange how BB King's neck seems to get wider when they shoot from that one vantage point? Usually, necks look narrower as you look down them, yes?

radd likes this.
  12. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Well, we really need to provide an antidote to this because we've all been contaminated if we own a Strat:

Buddy Guy - listen to Hendrix and you hear Buddy Guy. I always assumed Hendrix got a lot of his phrasing from Guy, but maybe not.
    Clapton - still going
    Knopfler - still strong
    Ritchie Blackmore - still going
    David Gilmour - still going strong

All of the above are known to play other than a Strat from time to time. so that must be it. Just sayin', science has to be countered with science.

SAguitar, MrWookiee, new6659 and 3 others like this.
  13. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Just wait...
    it's coming for them.

stevo, new6659 and Mr Swisher like this.
  14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Life, it's terminal

15. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    I started out on a strat. So many great players use them and have used them in the past. That neck pickup tone is pretty nice. Lots of great music has been made on a strat.

BuddyHollywood and radd like this.
  16. larryr

larryr Gretschie

Mar 6, 2012
    Camarillo, Ca.

Uh oh. Be afraid, be very afraid

17. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
  18. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Johnny Ramone's iconic guitar rather is the Mosrite Ventures.

Other dead ( :( )Strat player: Jeffrey Lee Pierce.

radd likes this.
  19. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    I recently built a lockdown Strat, and fitted it with a 3-way selector, with the lower tone knob acting as a blend for the middle pickup. It does a N&B combination, unlike a regular strat. Very versatile, and the Custom Shop 69 pickups are great.

P1130038.JPG

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.