This is/was (arguably) the WORST record ever made....

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Butch Ammon, Jul 30, 2021.

1. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Well, I made it to 58 seconds. Not sure what to say......kinda speechless.....words failing....mind is numbing.....
    I will say I prefer the original to the cover. The cover is too polished.
    You suppose there is a tab for this?

Dave Murray, section2 and MrWookiee like this.
  2. afire

afire Country Gent

I own Philosophy of the World. I ordered a copy after reading about it, before you could just pop it up on YouTube. I have to say, it exceeded my expectations. I'm not sure exactly on what level it works, but somehow, I find it enjoyable. Here's how it sounds to me. Take three people who had never heard music in their entire lives, had no concept of it whatsoever, then gave them a lengthy written description of rock 'n' roll and told them to make an album. This is about what I would imagine the result to be. Even the title of the album perfectly captures the ambition and audacity of the Wiggins' attempt to create something meaningful.

section2, TomK, freddyfingers and 2 others like this.
  3. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    The more I read about them, the more I get it. The more I listen to them, the more I kind of like them.

Where will Foot Foot go
    What will Foot Foot do
    Oh, Foot Foot
    I wish I could find you!

-m

heinzman, TomK and freddyfingers like this.
  4. MentalTossFlycoon

MentalTossFlycoon Gretschie

Dec 22, 2018
    Texas
    Well, they appear to be one of the few bands than sound better live than on record............I think???

5. afire

afire Country Gent

The tail end of the '60s was a golden era for some weird country songs. Here are a couple more that, while lacking the frantic outsider energy of "Paralyzed", are no less weird. And one is from Gretsch endorser Red River Dave.
    [​IMG]
    Here's his classic "California Hippie Murders":

And Eddie Noack's "Psycho":

6. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    That Psycho is creepiness to extreme. Heard it first time last year and it stopped me on my tracks...

7. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    It’s the most inspiring thing I’ve ever heard. If I was in an airplane, right about now, I’d be inspired to jump out … without a parachute. Anything would be better than the prospect of ever hearing that again. :)

Actually, I think that the father had a uniquely accurate grasp on how the Pop music business actually works. Put out crap, add publicity, and sell whatever you can. When it quits selling, record more crap and hold a press conference to announce a new beginning, and hope that someone will buy the new garbage you just put out. I they had auto tune, they would have been household names. :)

8. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Thanks for posting those, afire. Gotta admit, I was expecting a country version of the old Sonics number, got something very different indeed! And the Manson tune - Wow! That's just amazing! "Living life devoid of care, Short of cash and long of hair" - LOL! What a great line. Loved it.

section2 likes this.
  9. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Does auto tune work on guitars? :)

section2 and MrWookiee like this.
  10. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    IMHO, auto-tune doesn’t actually work at all. :)

MTurner and juks like this.
  11. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    What the…..?
    There’s really no excuse for this.

12. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    True, but I’ve said the same of some “songs” that topped the charts. :)

mr coffee and Robbie like this.
  13. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    Right with you on that. But this….this is special

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  14. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Some things never change. I hated them in 1968 and I hate them now.
    A big waste of time and recording tape.
    In 1968 even if you took a hit of acid they still would sound bad and might even cause you to jump off a building, eat thumb tacks gouge out your eyes and stick nails into your ear drums - yes it's that bad...:D.

15. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    It made the cat run out of the room.

Dave Murray, MrWookiee and mrfixitmi like this.
  16. MTurner

MTurner Friend of Fred

Aug 17, 2010
    Clayton, North Carolina, USA
  17. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    David Letterman collected bad records that he'd found in cutout bins.

Bad enough that The Shaggs made these, but, who produced and sold them? There's the real criminal. I wonder why this record hasn't self destructed in shame.

Trololo is high art, comparably.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2021
  18. Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser Country Gent

Jan 14, 2012
    Los Angeles
    I don't think they are bad. I think they are naive folk art. They are so divorced from the knowledge of how to make music that they have invented an original approach, completely separate from what anybody with training would ever come up with to solve the question of how to make music. Which means they are not relying on cliches, riffs, or familiar musical orthodoxies. It's pretty astonishing because it is so thoroughly unlike any other music.

jdgladw and mr coffee like this.
  19. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    No offense to Afire or anyone else who defends the Shaggs, but while I understand the intellectual appeal of primitive music, I still think Frank Zappa, NBRQ and others claiming to like this is an elaborate prank, much like when cool kids ask nerds to the dance. Or anyone who purports to love free jazz. Just because you're too dumb to understand you're an idiot doesn't make you a savant.

Dave Murray, Robbie and Bertotti like this.
  20. MrWookiee

MrWookiee Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2020
    SoCal, USA
    My confidence in my own abilities has skyrocketed after hearing The Shaggs, and I now realize that I would be only the SECOND-worst drummer in human history, were I to call myself a drummer.

Dave Murray and Bertotti like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.