This is sad....

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by juks, Jun 9, 2021.

1. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    He's gotten 17 back from ~200 stolen. That collection must be worth close to $2 million. Keep your eyes open for suspiciously cheap vintage, especially Fender off sets. Especially Craig's list.

rake_ether, Flouswa and Archtops like this.
  2. Archtops

Archtops Synchromatic

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    He must be gutted. I’m assuming he had everything insured. Oops no he didn’t. DL’d the list.

3. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    Ouch... Hope he gets most, if not everything back.

4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
  5. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    He needs to sue the so called "Safe Storage " company for everything they are worth.
    No way is that not an inside job.
    I've never been to a storage facility that doesn't have gates and video surveillance.

Groutsch and wabash slim like this.
  6. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    There is a lot there to unpack. Who keeps 200 high end guitars in a storage facility? $2M without video of who has access or insurance? He has to take some responsibility for being sloppy. I only have a few legit collectors, but if it ever got up into the $100k or higher, I would have insurance and a vault in the house. Not a public storage facility in the Bay area.

Never the less, sorry for his loss and I will keep my eye out.

Wildwood609, wabash slim and Henry like this.
  7. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yea, gotta agree. This of course sucks and should not happen, but if he has $2MM of uninsured toys that he doesn't play with, I'm gonna spend my sympathy elsewhere. There's nothing magic about guitars. Would people care more if it was $2MM of cabbage patch dolls?

Lol it's been a long day, maybe I'm a bit grumpy.

Rock Lajoint and MrWookiee like this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    You wrote just what I was thinking......

Rock Lajoint and Henry like this.
  9. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    He did say that he had to move the guitars out of the house because he was going through a divorce. He got the guitars, wife got everything else... divorce does mess you up.

He also said that police did figure out who took them but that person had passed away before they got to him.

But yeah, I agree big mistake to let the insurance laps though not sure they would have paid due how the guitars were stored. Which indeed was not the best decision.

10. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    He hid the guitars from his wife.......she found them!o_O

11. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

And sold them for the price he had told her he had paid :eek:

12. guitarfarm

guitarfarm Country Gent

My recurring nightmare.

JeffreyLeePierre likes this.
  13. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Heard on the radio, 9 guitars were recovered in Santa Cruz from a set that was stolen in a storage locker in Southern CA. Content of that locker was worth $250000. Gee, so lockers are a habbit to house expensive guitars?

They got caught cos they tried to sell them on Reverb. Hope the book gets thrown at them.

Back in Black and MrWookiee like this.
  14. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Hey juks,

Went through the video...abbreviated some of it.

This guy is supposed to be a real-estate expert.

I'm sorry, but I'd have only one question for him...INSURANCE! Or, in his case, lack thereof!

Having any kind of familiarity with real-estate, is ''knowing insurance''...liability/property value/special riders, lots of things to consider when ''protecting'' high dollar investments.

Listening to him talk...he's a fruit and nut bar. He seems to know the word ''vintage'', the true definition...not so much!

Sorry just can't feel sorry for him in any way.

As far as the true value of the collection...it's worth what you can get for it. If one was to attempt to use it for loan collateral, it wouldn't be worth much.

And...to keep the guitars in a rat infested storage facility...fruit and nut bar!

BIB.

wabash slim likes this.
  15. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Juks,

That's $1250. per guitar...a far cry from estimated ''millions''

A collection...OK, I'll give you that, a valuable ''vintage'' collection...not so much.

The guy wasn't wearing ''rose colored'' glasses in the video, but they must be close by.

BIB.

16. juks

juks Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California

This was a different case. The guy on the video had his stuff stolen in San Jose storage locker. The 9 recovered guitars were stolen in Southern CA storage locker.

The guy on the video is a fruit for keeping them so long in the storage locker, I agree with that. I get the divorce part. Initially it probably was the only solution. If ex kicked him out and told him to take his guitars (he likely wanted to take them) you really can't take 200 guitars and bunch on amps to a hotel room. But it sounds like he left them in storage for years which was stupid.

Regarding insurance, I kinda think they would have denied payment due not having secure enough location. It the value is in couple of millions, I doubt insurance company accepts storage locker as a place to keep them.

Back in Black likes this.
  17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I am really sorry for a fellow guitarist who`s got robbed.
    But I have absolutely no sympathy for someone who locks 200 valuable guitars with a padlock. I don't think any insurance will pay for it either. That was grossly negligent.

wabash slim likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.