This Dinosaur is getting back in the Ark.........

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by Gretschmen65, Nov 17, 2020.

1. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Have to admit that I can no longer be bothered trying to get my head around software based Daw's

The mechanics of recording with a mouse and the associated plug-ins and the constant need to learn some new thing to make it happen are getting to me. It all takes valuable time away from playing music.

I'm going back to a simple 8 track which can produce the basic recording to be fed into the computer system for
    additions and mastering.

I've produced a couple of albums this way in the past and they have worked out pretty well.

Tail between legs - slinks off up the gangway to the Ark.

T Bone, MrWookiee, MTurner and 11 others like this.
  2. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Which ones have you used? (Or not used.) I found Cubase to be pretty friendly.

Llywelyn likes this.
  3. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Welcome back, my reptile friend. :)

I work with software, everyday. For over 20 years, I’ve made my living with these things, but I don’t much care for recording software.

The problem, as I see it, is that operating software is a left-brain activity, and playing music is a right-brain activity. I am perfectly capable of operating recording software, but that involves my engineer’s hat, not my artist’s hat.

I would love to find some very simple way of recording that offered good quality and absolute simplicity of operation. My old Boss BR-8 was easy to operate, but noisy and didn’t allow me to transfer a digital copy off of the unit.

MrWookiee, sgarnett and Gretschmen65 like this.
  4. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Glad to be on the way back.
    I've previously used to destruction a little BR 600 and it was capable of producing pretty good quality material and transfer to computer.
    I'm going with a zoom R8 this time and it records in WAV so I think it should do what I want. I'll report back.

5. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I have Presonus Studio One 4 Artist. On board tutorials are pathetic and I'm sure the product is excellent but the steep learning curve I don't want to climb.
    The Zoom comes with a Cubase lite package and the recorder can act as an interface which I know I will be more comfortable with.

6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Most times all I need is my front porch and an acoustic ;)

7. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I use cubase , but at the dummy level. I know how to do some basic stuff, but have yet to even learn how to properly splice to say, continue on a rhythm track began prior. That’s on my list, but just have never gotten it to sound right at the transition. Totally agree that it can seem overwhelming, but I’m glad to have it. We often mic the room when we jam and just hit record and let it run. We mostly improv, so it’s very useful to pick from those an move different parts of the jams to their own track. Me mates always enjoy getting those clips drop boxed a week or so later to listen back.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  8. I feel the pain of the OP. It drives me nuts, and takes away from being creative. At least for me. I have tried a few things. But in the end, all i want to do is get the ideas in my head onto some sort of device that can share it. In some cases add to it. That alone has been a struggle of frustration for a long time. On the other hand, i have been in situations where all i do is walk in and they record me, and if i had a moment of inspiration and they are playing with buttons and knobs, i can loose the feeling. So perhaps its not technology, but me. But i am leaning towards the lack of understanding technology on my behalf.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  9. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Ooooooooo!
    Old school!

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  10. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I bought a Boss BR1600 multitrack recorder back in .... 2006 maybe? By today's standards it's totally obsolete, but what the heck - I know how to use it and can get decent sounding stuff out of it.

Like the OP, I'm so done with having to learn new computer junk every time I turn around. Remember when we made demos with one of these?

teac.jpg

11. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Lately, I use my iPad or iPhone and "Multitrack DAW" which is a really nice program. It's probably not studio quality, but if you get the right box to interface to your mics, you'll be happy with the results I'm sure. It's really easy to use and does a great job.

https://www.harmonicdog.com

I totally feel your pain. Most of these programs don't seem logically set up to me. I can use them, but they feel cumbersome.

12. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Old school is two track reel to reel. I wish I had a dollar for ever foot I've recorded on an Ampex 350 reel to reel.

Real old school is wax discs.

Tony65x55 and gtttrrr like this.
  13. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The R8 has a built in metronome and some drum sounds. Can you edit by the measure?

14. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    I certainly do - oh, what good times they were. :)

15. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Like every thing now, they all want to put too much in the one box. I'm quite comfortable dropping the tracks into Audacity to do some editing or mastering. I just find it easier to
    put tracks down where I've got hands-on sliders and don't have to have a picture of the whole bundle scrolling across a screen while I play.

16. Gretschmen65

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Haven't actually got this one yet but if anything like the BR600 punch in and out was simple enough. This looks every bit as good but can operate as an audio interface
    and comes with a knocked down version of Cubase.
    When recording on your own and playing all the parts I find the mouse, the plug ins and the darned complexity of the visual presentation totally distracting.
    Ha, it's hard enough to get the parts right without learning to become a recording engineer in a fast evolving whirl of technology. I just want the music!

17. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I couldn’t agree more. Being able to punch by measure is a very useful tool. Let us know, once you have the R8. I’m very curious.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  18. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Agreed. I’m in it to be on the production and tracking side of it. I’ve learned to engineer out of necessity, but I find it an annoyance.

Gretschmen65 likes this.
  19. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Well, I took the plunge last night and hope to have a new R8 by midday, Saturday.

new6659 and Gretschmen65 like this.
  20. Dennison

Dennison Country Gent

Jul 17, 2011
    Kent, UK
    Already booked my place on the Ark -- can't get on at all (ie. don't understand) with DAWs. Here's the business end of my music den. The Tascam eight-track reel-to-reel is skulking in the corner until it gets a new pinch roller, so I'm using an Alesis Adat digital tape eight-track fed by an assortment of half decent preamps (only using six tracks at present), then through an analog mixer and TL Fatman valve compressor (if needed) to a standalone CD recorder. Ignore the Apple laptop -- it's just full of photos. The Rogers speakers are for listening to vinyl albums -- I monitor recordings through the powered monitor speakers. The tv is for watching videos. Suits me

Studio.jpg

Gretschmen65 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.