This Crazy Guitar Market

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by dilver, Dec 6, 2021.

1. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    Seems like the prices for certain guitars, especially Gretsch have gone crazy all of a sudden and I'm having a hard time gauging how much I should ask for my 2004 Gretsch Brian Setzer Hot Rod. I've added TV Jones Classic/Classic Plus pickups, a Duane Eddy arm to the Bigsby and a Faber bridge. Comes with the deluxe arch top Gretsch case. Guitar is in excellent condition. I realize people don't like these "what's it worth?" type of posts, but I really need help as I have a potential buyer and I think I want to make the deal, but don't want to be foolish and sell for less than it's worth. Ebay sold listings and Reverb.com don't really really give me much information. Help!

thunder58 likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Thank goodness Gretsch don't need computer chips! But they do need to be shipped from Asia.

sgarnett likes this.
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Cheapest I could detect on Reverb is about 2000 bucks and was listed 10 months ago.
    Adjust your pricing to how fast you want to sell.

NJDevil and dilver like this.
  4. Jeremiah_S

Jeremiah_S Electromatic

Oct 19, 2018
    New England
    in your case I'd start with the sold price for an unmolested Setzer Hot Rod and then bump it up to compensate your mods. The real issue is that your "Upgrades" are someone else's things they might want undone. Basically, you're selling a husk of a Setzer Hot Rod with modifications. I think you can get your money back but you're going to need to be patient to find a buyer who agrees with your vision.

I once bought a 1981 Gibson Deluxe Goldtop. It was routed for a Kahler trem and a humbucker. Whoever did it probably thought it was completely badass. I spent a good chunk to have someone restore it back to normal, because even though I liked the price, I didn't like the mods.

Craig Encinitas, NJDevil and section2 like this.
  5. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    Yeah I know I’m not expecting to make up nothing on my mods… I was just looking for a price range for used Hotrods. Most EBay and reverb postings are for new guitars, or priced as such.

6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    If you have a potential buyer you are in good shape. Have a discussion with the buyer.

Keep in mind EBay and Reverb are always priced high. Often times for not much more than those asking prices you can buy the item new.

Jelly Roll Horton likes this.
  7. It is annoying that nearly everybody shows an exaggerated price hoping
    to grab a naive sucker willing to pay way over the going rate.

Maybe its time for those comparative price check services for used cars move into guitars?

radd likes this.
  8. JLD4133

JLD4133 Country Gent

May 10, 2011
    Mequon, WI
    Reverb does offer sales history if there is enough data available to it. This tells you the amount actually sold for.

9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Yup, very inconsistent.

I have bought many guitars off Reverb just by being patient and waiting for one that is priced more reasonably.

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  10. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Within the last couple of months or so, one of the MS upgrades to my Win10 system installed some kind of shopping bot into my browser. Whenever I look at apiece of gear at a website a window pops up telling me if there are any coupons and showing me prices at other sites for that item.
    Doesn't work perfectly every time but for current production it can be handy.
    I'll have to play around with it to see if it works with older items. AFAIK it works with anything with a model number, like G5420.

11. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    I would just put up the price in my head that I would take to part with it, in this market. People are paying everything for anything. It's cray.

12. Mellowcat

Mellowcat Gretschie

Aug 22, 2013
    VA
    Reverb sold listings show $1400-$1800. There are a bunch of examples to check out year, color, condition, etc.

13. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    I don't know if you've noticed but prices on everything have gone through the roof.
    It's not really a good time to buy anything and it's been harder to sell things as well. The economy is way out of wack and I don't see it getting better any time soon. There's plenty of deals out there on used stuff if you look hard enough but shipping costs puts some of these good deals out of reach.
    I suggest if you don't really need it hold off for awhile. You might see prices fall a bit as sellers realize the buying market is slowing down.

14. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    Thanks, all. I’ve sold it and already made my next purchase. I agree - this guitar market is crazy right now. But also some good deals to be had. NGD post to come when it arrives…

j.s.c likes this.
  15. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2021
  16. Cyclebilly

Cyclebilly Electromatic

Sep 3, 2019
    Bristol, UK
    It’s good to check finished eBay auctions to get the prices people would actually pay.

I’ve seen kite-flying prices on 6120s of all models… but these guitars never sell. They show up on all the usual sites month after month.

17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    People who are asking crazy prices for their stuff usually don`t sell it for that.
    I am monitoring a 70ies Flying V that is offerend over here on eBay and eBay classifieds for 3 years.

The seller originaly asked for EUR 3.200 and nobody bought it. Now he is up to EUR 6.500 and it is still in his possession.
    My personal guess is that he promised his wife to sell it and with this strategy he will manage to keep it forever.
    There are lots of other examples.

If you are trying you can still get any used guitar for a reasonable price.

So don`t ask for an unrealistic price if you really want to sell it -say- within a year or so.

18. musicman100

musicman100 Country Gent

Aug 15, 2008
    England
    If you price fair and honest you’ll sell ok all day long but just don’t rust into selling it to give it away.

19. sgarnett

sgarnett Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    Years ago, I asked for a price on a “new” John Deere bush hog that had obviously been in the back lot a long time. It had never been used, but had some rust and grime from sitting so long. The dealer started with list price, then tacked on “interest” for the time it had been sitting. Well, I’m sure they did have some cost associated with carrying the inventory, but bush hogs do not appreciate in value as they age ….

Hit the road, Jack.
    Don’t’cha come back
    No more, no more,
    No more, no more!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.