Thinning a Double Jet Neck?

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Rexindigo, Oct 1, 2020.

1. Rexindigo

Rexindigo Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    South of Germany
    Hi, the Gretsch virus has infected me... (Bad wording in these times) after buying and modding a G5120 from around 2008. I still am very pleased with the thin U neck profil, that soothes my aching lefthand thumb.
    After no reaction to my neck profile question (other thread) , i had a chance to check out some contemporary Electromatics and Streamliners in a music shop, all of them good (neck profiles). Conclusion: the budget Gretsches all have slim necks....

Now i pulled the ebay trigger on a 2008 G5245 Double cut Jet only to find, that it has a very chunky C-Shaped neck ... :-(

Does anybody know, if its possible to sand the neck down, to a more pleasing profile ?

Has it ever been done?

Does someone know, if the truss rod in such a neck is a compession type running near the back of the neck or a modern type that sits right under the fretboard?

Any information or comment is appreciated.

Other than the neck profile the guitar is definitly a keeper: changed the neck pickup to a blacktop filtertron and omitted the tensionbar on the bigsy and it sounds great!

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Congrats on the double neck . This just might be a Gretsch-Talk first , don't ever think I've seen one posted here on the forum before . How about some pics .
    It may be best to work closely with a luthier regarding the necks

3. andreww1962

andreww1962 Gretschie

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Its not a double neck, its a double cutaway Jet.

4. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Lose your glasses this morning?

thunder58 likes this.
  5. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    :p
    :p
    Ahhh , thats better . Must have been the word " only "

6. Rexindigo

Rexindigo Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    South of Germany
    Thank You for your replies, Thats what i have feared, it has not been done yet, at least not by members of this forum. well then ist on me to try, i have seen picture of Les Pauls were the truss rod was shining through the wood after such a treatment....
    i will post pictures if i succeed...

7. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Can't give you any answers on this one myself but really hope you manage to get it done.

8. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    How much you planning to take off the neck?

9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    The neck is the very first deal breaker for me when buying a guitar, tone comes next then a bunch of other stuff.

I know this is not the answer you were looking for, but I think you are much better off finding a guitar with a neck you prefer.

I suspect it would not be cheap having it done considering you would need to utilize an experienced person. And.....Resale would be shot on that guitar.

Anyway Good luck, I hope you can work it out.

BCRatRod73 likes this.
  10. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    I’d sell it and buy a 2019 or newer Jet or Double Jet - “thin U” seems to be the standard neck now. I need a chunkier neck to avoid arthritis pain in my thumb. It took some investigating to learn that 2018 and earlier Double Jets have the same “standard U” as my 5420. My 2018 G5245 is perfect for my geezer paws!

RomanS likes this.
  11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz

I can relate

I was a thin neck guy for decades, then I got old. Now my hands love a medium or medium chunky neck. My 5420 falls into the medium category.

RomanS and capnhiho like this.
  12. Rexindigo

Rexindigo Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    South of Germany
    Henry asked: How much you planning to take off the neck? That is the very question! I can not take anything of without measuring so i decided to measure first, plan the process and then do it. now to get a picture of the different profiles i was looking for the right tool, and i found it: its called "Konturlehre" in German , here is a picture, and the first humble attempts on a comparison IMG_4428.JPG

Henry likes this.
  13. Rexindigo

Rexindigo Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    South of Germany
    i will have to do this more professional and of course will have to measure using a caliper, but even the frets 1,3,5 already show the difference in profile. i am still concerned on the topic where the truss rod will be, some guys on the internet talked about x-raying the neck, but then i found a guy with a simple solution: just drill a tiny hole from the center of the back of the neck with a small drillbit and when you hit metal, you know how much wood there is before you kill the neck, think that will be my way to go

14. Rexindigo

Rexindigo Electromatic

Jun 2, 2020
    South of Germany
    sorry i forgot to introduce the ladies: to the left thin neck, to the right chunky neck 2G.png

15. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Good luck in changing the profile and thickness on the neck. Just go slowly and check for feel often. Hope it turns out to be an easy job.

16. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I’ve probably done it too few a times to give any advice but WTH.

Main thing is to be confident of your skills, with a healthy amount of stupidity or alcoholism.

upload_2020-10-2_16-9-50.jpeg
    Measure a neck profile you like and compare. Get a profile gauge like ^this^ and a Caliper. Make notes. Check your work(often). Use a good fine flat file. Don’t use a rasp tearing up the fibers.

When measuring take the fretboard radius into account, it will influence the feel of the neck.

When filing divide the neck in sides lengthwise, most basic is the back and the two sides. Mark’m with pilot lines.

It will look like you peeled away 3 strips. The more even you get them the better. Sand down the edges in between with sand paper. Palm the sand paper so it follows your hand.

17. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Since you cannot see where the trusrod goes I warn you to shave down a neck by yourself. I`ve seen at least 3 examples of ruined vintage Strat necks because someone tried to shave them without the assistance of a skilled luthier.

Ricochet likes this.
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Good point! ;)

loudnlousy likes this.
  19. BCRatRod73

BCRatRod73 Gretschie

Sep 1, 2020
    Mississippi
    You’re almost better off buying an aftermarket thin neck with a long tenon, then cutting the headstock to match the Gretsch profile, steaming the old neck off, then shaping the new neck to fit the pocket. Once it’s a perfect fit then apply titebond, clamp it down and let it sit for 24 hours.

I’m the opposite way in that I want the fattest neck available for these big hands of mine. When researching a new guitar purchase the neck profile is the first thing I look for. Anorexic necks are not my friend. Baseball bat necks? Yes please!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
  20. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    Gotta love this forum for advice such as the above for a member brave enough to take on a challenge like this!

I’m definitely going to follow this thread.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.