Things I Do In My Spare Time...

stiv

Country Gent
Sep 12, 2014
Firenze, Italy
That'd be a lot more than 35% for me. Piano and organ are my main instruments.
I wish it could be more for me as well, but my level on piano is way below my guitar skills. Sometimes I found frustrating to play with other people, and home alone it’s satisfying but not that fun.
It’s a challenge, but at the moment I’m loosing :)

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I wish it could be more for me as well, but my level on piano is way below my guitar skills. Sometimes I found frustrating to play with other people, and home alone it’s satisfying but not that fun.
It’s a challenge, but at the moment I’m loosing :)
Keep at it. Practice, etc. Music is about enjoying yourself.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
All my spare time gets spent at the beach.
Wow. Spare time, and a beach that isn't covered in ice.
Around here, I see guys ice fishing. Some just drill a hole in the ice, and spend the day sitting on a 5 gallon bucket with a short pole hoping for a bite. The lucky ones have heated sheds with coolers full of beer. I've always wondered just how sad your life was if you thought sitting out on a bucket staring at a hole in the ice was fun.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
Wow. Spare time, and a beach that isn't covered in ice.
Around here, I see guys ice fishing. Some just drill a hole in the ice, and spend the day sitting on a 5 gallon bucket with a short pole hoping for a bite. The lucky ones have heated sheds with coolers full of beer. I've always wondered just how sad your life was if you thought sitting out on a bucket staring at a hole in the ice was fun.
When I was stationed in Maine, a friend invited me out to his ice fishing shack on the frozen river. Huge, probably 10 feet square with a shingled roof, insulated all around and a wood stove. I was really wondering if the weight wasn't excessive until he pointed out that they used a bulldozer to pull the shanties onto the ice!

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
When I was stationed in Maine, a friend invited me out to his ice fishing shack on the frozen river. Huge, probably 10 feet square with a shingled roof, insulated all around and a wood stove. I was really wondering if the weight wasn't excessive until he pointed out that they used a bulldozer to pull the shanties onto the ice!
While we don't get ice thick enough for dozers or semis, we've had car and motorcycle races on lakes in northern Indiana. Guys would wrap dog chain around the bike wheels and have at it. Some sidecar types were out there as well. Just learn where the spring in the lake was to be safe.

Having a shanty is the only way to go ice fishing. Tried it the other way---once.

Runamok

Country Gent
Let’s not forget dressing guitars like former US presidents and taking selfies with them.
Seen pictures of a guy’s 3 wk old Ramcharger on the ice in Wisconsin at a weekend ice fishing contest. (The operative word to alert you to its fate is “Wisconsin.”) He got there early. Through the course of the day more people showed up & the flagman had late comers fill in the gaps between vehicles… (that’s the version he told me, anyway. I’m a bit more sketical).

After dark there was an alert for everyone to get their vehicles off the ice fast.
The picture shows the top of his cab above the waterline.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
Yeah, Maine is an amazing state, I loved it there. When I would call home to Ohio, Maine was always at least 10 degrees colder with 10" more snow and I was in the southern part of the state.

Every winter cars slide off the road and aren't found until the spring thaw. They warn everyone to not travel alone if you can help it, we joked that you may need the protein if you're trapped. JK!

The ice under the shack that night was at least three feet thick and the strange thing is that the river was tidal...the water level fluctuated and dropped down to a couple of feet below the ice at one point. Just really weird.

ramjac

Synchromatic
Aug 14, 2011
Wisconsin
Seen pictures of a guy’s 3 wk old Ramcharger on the ice in Wisconsin at a weekend ice fishing contest. (The operative word to alert you to its fate is “Wisconsin.”) He got there early. Through the course of the day more people showed up & the flagman had late comers fill in the gaps between vehicles… (that’s the version he told me, anyway. I’m a bit more sketical).

After dark there was an alert for everyone to get their vehicles off the ice fast.
The picture shows the top of his cab above the waterline.

I'm not sure that I agree with you 100% on your policework there, Lou. The operative word there is “Ramcharger”, and those cross over from the border states.