They have pedals for vocals too!

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by MrClint, Aug 23, 2021.

1. MrClint

MrClint Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    Bear in mind that some of these vocal pedals are pretty pricey. I picked up a TC Helicon Mic Mechanic 2 pedal with the hope that it could help with my weak vocals. I used it on an online open mic and liked what it brought to the table. Here's a quick gear demo I did to showcase the features:

2. SweetYoungTwang

SweetYoungTwang Electromatic

Aug 18, 2021
    Atlanta, GA
    I think you're gonna like that pedal a lot.

We have 3 front singers and I finally ended up making a little vocal board. I just use shorty cables at the mixer, or otherwise put them somewhere discreet, because they make me feel dirty.

But audiences are accustomed to unnaturally polished singers these days. I can't beat em so I joined em.

I bought the pedals at different times, so I bought different models to experiment with the features. Mostly we just use a little pitch correction and the "tone" button gives you a little compression and warmth. I set pitch correction at about 11 o'clock.

I can really tell the difference in our 3 part harmony singing.

Occasionally you hear yourself "doubled" by the correction in the monitors, but the audience can't tell.

IMG_1059.jpg

MrWookiee, MrClint and gtttrrr like this.
  3. My wife would quit the band if i brought in auto correction. I already have auto correction. Its called no wine before gig.

MrWookiee, radd, new6659 and 5 others like this.
  4. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Those among us who are not born with decent vocal chords could use this, been thinking about these, thanks for the demo!

thunder58, Henry and MrClint like this.
  5. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Been thinking about buying the Mic Mechanic for some time. I'd imagine it can't hurt in my case.

gtttrrr and MrClint like this.
  6. JustNorm

JustNorm Electromatic

Mar 25, 2017
    Alberta
    The Voice is like the guitar. It takes practice make sweet sounds. If you are going to use voice pedals they also require practice to sound sweet I have a Helicon Acoustic Play. Works great but you have to work with it to get what you need out of it.

T Bone and MrClint like this.
  7. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Gretschie

Jan 11, 2019
    Wokingham
    I picked a used Helicon VoicePLay live up last year during lock down. I haven't dug too deeply into the menus, other than some basic tweaks, but it seems to help polish up some demos I was trying to do: I'm an OK singer, more of a guitarist or drummer, but the pedal helped and I obviously couldn't get a proper singer in to record them for me. I have turned the autotune to zero, but the compression and other effects made it all sound reasonably decent.

Similar with the harmonies: Mine has a built in mic so it can listen to what I'm playing and add the correct harmonies, but the easier option is to set the key in one of the menus. I have to remember what I've set though as if I then record something else in another key and try to add harmonies it sounds very off. :eek::D

MrClint likes this.
  8. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    There is a lot of rack gear intended for vocal use. As all decent mikes are XLR based, anything less is pretty much a toy, harmonica mikes aside.

MrClint likes this.
  9. MrClint

MrClint Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    The tone and main switch alone make a huge difference with vocals EQ instantly. It's the kind of thing that you set and forget. I was concerned about it being a little pricey and maybe overly complicated, but I think it is pretty simple and delivers beyond what I was expecting.

T Bone, SweetYoungTwang and GlenP like this.
  10. SweetYoungTwang

Aug 18, 2021
    Atlanta, GA
    These pedals have XLR jacks. The black one in my photo even has phantom power for condensers.

T Bone, wabash slim and MrClint like this.
  11. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    Auto tune is so prevalent and has been for so long that it’s not even a debate. EVERYBODY uses it. Why not live? All the bigger acts certainly do. Good singers don’t need it, but it still brings that polish to the party.

I use to use the TC Helicon Acoustic Play unit and enjoyed it. I’d set the auto tune to very low. I don’t have nor use anything on my vocals anymore, but this thread has me thinking about it again! And I naturally have good pitch!

T Bone and MrClint like this.
  12. SweetYoungTwang

Aug 18, 2021
    Atlanta, GA
    Exactly my take. I won't make any claims about my own singing, but my band has a killer girl lead singer, and she still sounds subtly better with these pedals.

13. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    My singing sounds best when it’s done solo,,, solo no one can hear it….:D:D:D:cool::mad::confused::mad::confused::cool:

14. MrClint

MrClint Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    The mic mechanic has XLR in/out and the power switch provides phantom power to the mic as well. I did not demo that part of the pedal.

T Bone likes this.
  15. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I sing really good when I drink ... and the more I drink the better I get :p I'm here all week folks ... but seriously .....
    I'm like @gtttrrr when he said " those among us not born with decent vocals chords " , well , that's me . But years ago I wasn't that bad and could carry a tune . I first learned of these type of pedals on a cruise ship about 15 years ago . I was at the piano bar and the piano player was playing / singing " You and I " by Lady Ga Ga . The pedal totally blew me away . Guy was nice enough to show and explain the pedal to me .
    Congrats on the pedal @MrClint and enjoy

gtttrrr and MrClint like this.
  16. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I assume these vocal stomps are auto tune pedals.
    They wouldn't help me cos my singing is beyond correction :D

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

MrWookiee, gtttrrr and wabash slim like this.
  17. MrClint

MrClint Gretschie

Nov 27, 2017
    Lake Balboa, CA
    Is auto tune the same thing as pitch correction? Is it a matter of semantics? What I understand about auto tune is that robotic sound on the Cher track from a few years ago. I can tell you that this unit turned up all the way doesn't do that. I tried auto tune in my DAW and it was nothing like the pitch correction on this pedal.

T Bone likes this.
  18. TSims1

TSims1 Gretschified

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta

Yes, those phrases are interchangeable. The more you turn it up, the more Cher you become. The pedal probably just doesn’t go that far.
    That being said, please - let’s all agree that none of us will become Cher.

MrWookiee, new6659 and MrClint like this.
  19. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I want the model that makes me sound like Sam Cooke or Elvis :D

MrWookiee and MrClint like this.
  20. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Just plug your voice into distortion pedal. They've always had that.
    I remember when I first heard Ministry. It was their song Stigmata. I asked my brother why they were using a chainsaw and he laugh and said that was his voice run thru a distortion pedal. I love that sound now. Great way to roughen up some vocals if you have a very clean sound.

MrClint likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.