There's an affordable prom queen at my local GC

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by guitarmaker, Nov 6, 2010.

1. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    for $1500 and she's pretty. My Marshall might be selling this week and I just traded some junk guitars for a proline Jackson, so I'm not attached to that yet. Just need to figure out what else I can trade in for the PQ, and how to justify the purchase to my lady-friend. Oh, the challenges we face...

2. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    You need it for research. After all you are "Guitarmaker". In order to progress as a professional you need first hand knowledge of the fabrication of the finest instruments ever made. You can probably take a tax deduction for it, too. (but don't blame me if you're audited)

3. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    How true! That is the ''justification'' for the rest of my collection and maybe if she sees how pretty it is, she'll want it to be used in our wedding (yet another reason not to spend any money). Good Lord, I want that guitar.

4. drmilktruck

drmilktruck Gretschified

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Say,"That guitar is so pretty that it reminded me of how beautiful you are. I will play love songs for you night and day on her." ;-)

5. GHook

GHook Electromatic

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    Hope it goes your way Guitarmaker. BTW (off topic) let me know if you like your GFS mini-tron..Thanks. (I'm looking at a Nashville neck pup for my Double Jet)

6. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    My wife -- of all people -- gave me the perfect reasoning for buying "Dream Gear". She said (in so many words) that my love of guitars and guitar playing has been the longest running love affair of my life (it started when I was about 8 years old). She said that I loved guitars long before I loved her, my job(s), the kids..................... She didn't blink or bat an eye. So I took that as an OK to buy stuff that was/is truly important to me.

Now -- I know I am very lucky to have a wife who thinks like that. But MAYBE there's a way you can use some of the basics here as part of your message......

Good luck!! GO FOR IT!!

7. Kuroyama

Kuroyama Synchromatic

Jan 6, 2010
    Austin
    Um fellas? Whats a "Gretsch Prom Queen"? I googled the image and came back with 6120's, 5120s, White Falcons,guitar amplifiers, Drum kit, Lapsteel, Yogi Bear and a 1961 Nash Metroplitan.

So... what are you trying to buy?

8. workknot

workknot Country Gent

Feb 15, 2009
    Brainerd, Minnesota
    As far as I know, it is the model 6120AM.
    Pop's

9. guitarmaker

guitarmaker Synchromatic

Mar 1, 2010
    Oley, PA
    Correct! It's quite possibly the prettiest guitar ever made.

10. Likeabrave

Likeabrave Synchromatic

Feb 11, 2010
    Las Vegas, Nevada
    Yep. Here is a pic of Bobkat's.

[​IMG]

11. Prettiest GreTschs, to me.

GM, buy it and give it to her. If she loves you, she won't mash it over your head. If she doesn't...trust me, you'll have gotten out very cheaply.

I tried that with a .357.

I wouldn't recommend that.

12. dezorzi

dezorzi Electromatic

Oct 2, 2010
    Saltsburg, PA
    Hokey Smokes, Bullwinkle - that's really a pretty guitar.

13. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    First, thanks. You made choke on what I was eating when I read that. :D
    Second, that's a great idea. If she tells you to return it, say it was sold as-is, but with the dough you saved, you’re giving her one of those day spa things - full manicure, pedicure, massage, secret feminine things, etc. If you pop for that, she'll love the guitar. I've never met a woman that didn't LOVE a day at the spa thing.
    Ladies of the forum, am I right?

Another thought... is it just me, or do all of Bobkat's pics of his Prom Queen make the guitar look like it would be delicious to eat?

14. jbcallender

jbcallender Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    With your lady-friend, think of it like a spanking. The pain only lasts a little while, but you will have the PQ forever...

And get the PQ while she's at the spa.....

15. Big Ron

Big Ron Synchromatic

Nov 17, 2010
    Chattanooga, TN
    Since we are on the Prom Queen thing. I too am fascinated by G612oAM s . That is on my short list for the next GAS attack.

My question is - I have seen three distinct versions of G6120AM's. One version is like most of the ads, and the image in the current Gretsch catalog, which is the translucent amber tinted (not orange) finish on a light color flame wood, with the same finish on the headstock. This is the one that I prefer.

Then there are 6120AM s which are almost natural wood colored, with very little tint which could be called amber. The photo above of Bobkat's guitar is this color.

Then there are ones of both of those colors which have a dark colored headstock. Bobkat's guitar has one of the dark headstocks.

When I get one I want to get the amber color tint with the light amber color tint headstock, but I don't know how to specify that unless I am looking at the guitar or photos of the exact guitar (which I will try to do anyway). I was concerned about ordering one from a dealer and then getting one of the other options.

Big Ron

16. Lee Erickson

Lee Erickson Country Gent

Apr 20, 2009
    Eagan, MN
    That's a great price for a new pro-line Gretsch.

I've looked at the GC, MF, and Gretsch websites and that model appears to be gone.

If you've got the resources, that's a really great buy. If you don't, there will be other great chances down the road.

Ron V, You're just gonna have to look at the guitar. I've seen some of these guitars. Basically, the ones made in the last year or two are blond with the blond headstock. Most of the earlier ones were blond with a black headstock. These were Terada with JT serial numbers. Some of the earlier ones were faded honey blond (slightly orange) with a black headstock. These were Fuji Gen Gaki with JF serial number.

Good luck to you all,
    Lee

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice